What's new

Vanautu volcano

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'm staying about 50km from it, in luganville. There is a full scale evacuation underway at the moment, with over 3000 arriving in luganville and 1500 or so to Maewo in the last 2 weeks.
It's not an eruption as such, but ash has blanketed everything and the future is uncertain, hence the evacuation

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'm staying about 50km from it, in luganville. There is a full scale evacuation underway at the moment, with over 3000 arriving in luganville and 1500 or so to Maewo in the last 2 weeks.
It's not an eruption as such, but ash has blanketed everything and the future is uncertain, hence the evacuation

It's the island in the background

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
How many islands are affected ?
Mostly only Ambae, although adjacent north Pentecost has been having some days of heavy ashfall that is affecting their water supplies and plants - it is a major kava growing area. It depends which way the wind blows.
Santo a little constant ashfall that makes the place smoggy and a lot of people have cold-like symptoms from it, but nothing too serious.
I just wonder how the Santo infrastructure will cope with the extra population arriving - it is strained as it is.