What's new

Wanted to share my experience with kicking dermopathy

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I went from pantyhose strainers to Kalm with kava strainer and although it requires a lot more kneading time, I now have no dermo left at all. My habits of consumption haven't changed much recently but I would probably say that ive been preparing and drinking maybe 10-15% less root than before but that's only a couple gram difference and some days I've been drinking more recently too. My hands aren't red or dry in the least and I don't have passive itchiness on my legs like I did for the past month or two. It should be noted that I drink a relatively moderate amount of kava in general. About 20-35 grams every day with a few grams more or less than that maybe 1x per week

ThePiper

Kava Lover
nope. And I really did think kneading with my hands underwater was giving me dermo because it was mostly on my hands. so with this new strainer I knead longer but it's less particulate stuff touching my hands directly. heck for all I know it could be a fluke of my body just fixing the problem on its own. that happens at times..

Crunked

Proselytizer
It may be unnecessary, but I always use food safe disposable gloves when kneading. I have never had dermo, except maybe, some dry skin above the eyebrows.

LeVon

Kava Curious
My KWK strainers are getting plugged up with the finer ground strains i have, and i can not get them to let the water through. Do you have this issue? if so how do you fix it? I thought about running it through the washing machine hoping it gets the root material out of the fibers ( i guess thats whats plugging it) but then i realized i would have to wash them by themselves with no detergent lol and i was still worried they might come out smelling like laundry soap...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My KWK strainers are getting plugged up with the finer ground strains i have, and i can not get them to let the water through. Do you have this issue? if so how do you fix it? I thought about running it through the washing machine hoping it gets the root material out of the fibers ( i guess thats whats plugging it) but then i realized i would have to wash them by themselves with no detergent lol and i was still worried they might come out smelling like laundry soap...
Dish soap. Lather it up real good, rinse it out, and you should be good to go. If that doesn't get the buildup of lactones off, a quick dip in isopropyl alcohol usually does the trick. Just a quick question though, are you using medium grind?

Edit: Isopropyl may leach the colorings out of the bag if there are any. Just make sure it's completely dry afterwards if you do use iso. Or maybe just stick to dishsoap. It's always worked for me. I usually reserve the iso until there's no other choice or it's built up on my kava stirring spoon or something.

Last edited:

LeVon

Kava Curious
Yes medium grind is what i bought but the vula waka seems to be a much finer grind than the borongoru. It is the only strain i have had a problem with, but i havent been able to use my strainer since it plugged. Im going to try the dish soap today.

schatz

itchin for kava
I wonder if were developing a tolerance or adapting to not getting the dry skin and ocassional dermo as we do kava for longer periods. I have also not gotten dry hands or patches of dredded dermo or occational itchiness myself for 6 month or so. I used to have to lotion every day and let off the kava here and there for a couple weeks to get it to subside. I also do not use as much as I did a year ago so definately reverse tolerance is playing a role, and also pay more attention to the nobleness of my kava purchases and have used the Alubal almost exclusively for the past 8 months or so. I wonder what is in play here, better use and useing less or maybe we are adapting to kava and becoming kavabeings.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I have also eliminated dermo.

I use the cactus kava strainer bag but I'm not sure if that's what made the difference... although I always strain out the muck.
I drink very smooth kaVA now .. buy also don't go as crazy as I usto.
So Idk but makes make's it way worse for sure

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
I have also eliminated dermo.

I use the cactus kava strainer bag but I'm not sure if that's what made the difference... although I always strain out the muck.
I drink very smooth kaVA now .. buy also don't go as crazy as I usto.
So Idk but makes make's it way worse for sure
So you don't drink ANY sediment? I noticed that even Aluballs leave sediment in the bottle.

Jay Charles

Kava Curious
i sometimes wonder if dermo is linked to drinking certain strains long enough that your body reacts to that particular strain. like strain fatigue or something.. i notice it often appears seemingly at random though. what i've found interesting is that if i'm experiencing dermo, switching to another strain (or in some cases, not just another strain but another strain from another region) it can stop my dermo for a while. of course nobleness and strength have a lot to do with it for me as well though. i've tried doing little experiments for myself with that but it's hard to find consistently repeatable patterns to it.. drives me crazy sometimes hah.

i also use nylon stockings and i find that there are whole months where using the "normal" strainers and kneading are fine.. but then it suddenly gives me bad nausea(for days). there may be something else going on and it's a real mystery for me.. but whenever i start getting nausea from kneading, switching to a blender and nylon stocking fixes it. i've yet to find out why this is.. that's one of the things that drives me the most crazy. it's been going on for a long while now too. i've been drinking kava almost 10 years and the past 2 or so years this has been popping up