What's new

Warm, cool, or room temperature water for prep?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Kava newbie here. I have been drinking Kava by Rex Vanuatu 3 for about two weeks now. It was the first Kava I ever tried and the first time I tried it, it krunked me up proper(very sedating and euphoric) but after that I just mildly feel it. So I searched on here and ordered a pound of Kalm with Kalva Borongoru to compare to the Vanuatu3. I noticed on the KWK site it said to use warm water in the prep but I thought that would destroy the active ingredient. I have been keeping extra jugs of spring water at room temperature and using it in the knead and strain method. Does warm water work better?
So glad I found out about Kava Kava, I get anxiety from dealing with the chronic daily headache I have and wanted something natural to take the edge off.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Accordingly to a scientific study, the best temperature is 113 degrees. However, I always chill it afterwards because it helps reduce the taste.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You might see some kavalactone degradation at temps above 140°F. Honestly, in order to kill all of them you'd have to boil it for a few hours. So even if you used scalding hot water, you're still probably getting 99% of those kavalactones. Heat actually helps the waxy kavalactones emulsify in your prepared kava, so even if you used boiling water you would loose 5% or so, but gain more than the loss due to using hot water.

The one thing is does is make your kava thicker. To me, it's no problem, but to some people that may be a deterring factor for using hot water.

Also, I'm with Deleted User01 about the chilling aspect. The colder you make your kava, the less you'll taste it.

D

Deleted User01

On the "having to buy a thermometer", you don't have to. The water at 110-120 is hot to the touch but not too uncomfortable. Just use that as a rule of thumb. You can also blend it for a minute before you knead it to agitate the kava. I only boiled once and I couldn't stand the thickness. I can put up with a lot of things in life but I cannot do boiled kava that is thick and slimy. :eek: But if you like mushy oatmeal, you might could handle it. I almost have to leave the room when I see gooey, sllimy, hot oatmeal ... It's a Deleted User01 thang. It reminds me of baby vomit. :rolleyes:

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Thanks Kapmcrunk. That is nice an simple then, warm up the tap and have at it. I can't wait till this evening to make a new batch up.
I think I lucked out with starting with the Vanuatu3 as it is very mild tasting.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I knead for 10 minutes, and find it makes a more than potent enough final brew. Some knead for less. Some knead until the kava no longer feels oily, and more like kneading wood chips.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Echo...echo...echooo

I also use the hottest tap water then pop it all in a big carafe with ice before drinking. Seems to take some bite away for me.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I like to use it as hot as I can get it out of the tap, but I don't like to run water for very little reason any more so I mix 1:1 boiling:tap. Tap is probably about 80-ish degrees, boiling is 200-ish. Averages to around 140 degrees.

Usually I just pour water in there from the tap and knead. So I don't always do what I like to do.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
The ten minute knead in hot water definitely seemed to intensify the KBR Vanuatu3 last night, thanks for all the tips folks!

verticity

I'm interested in things
Neither hot nor boiling water will destroy kavalactones. I use hot tap water ~120 F, and knead with gloves to avoid burning myself.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I must of finally broke through RT last night and I take back my saying Vanuatu3 was mild. I did two cups(8oz) 15 minutes apart of the hot water/ten minute knead. Then a half hour later I did two more cups of the 5 minute room temperature knead I had left. I wasn't couched and krunked like my first time but was super euphoric, giddy, happy, stoney, and uber loose feeling. I am still feeling milder effects today at work! So glad I found out about kava and this site! I celebrated breaking through to the other side last night by watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas followed by nodding off to bed while listening to Grails! No chronic daily headache in four days either, which is awesome because I rarely get more then one day without a headache in two months time! Not sure if that is because of the kava or not but I think it just may be.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I must of finally broke through RT last night and I take back my saying Vanuatu3 was mild. I did two cups(8oz) 15 minutes apart of the hot water/ten minute knead. Then a half hour later I did two more cups of the 5 minute room temperature knead I had left. I wasn't couched and krunked like my first time but was super euphoric, giddy, happy, stoney, and uber loose feeling. I am still feeling milder effects today at work! So glad I found out about kava and this site! I celebrated breaking through to the other side last night by watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas followed by nodding off to bed while listening to Grails! No chronic daily headache in four days either, which is awesome because I rarely get more then one day without a headache in two months time! Not sure if that is because of the kava or not but I think it just may be.
That is awesome! So happy when someone breaks through. Also when they discover the other medicinal effects kava can give. I've personally used kava to stop a headache before and it worked far better than any over the counter pain reliever.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I must of finally broke through RT last night and I take back my saying Vanuatu3 was mild. I did two cups(8oz) 15 minutes apart of the hot water/ten minute knead. Then a half hour later I did two more cups of the 5 minute room temperature knead I had left. I wasn't couched and krunked like my first time but was super euphoric, giddy, happy, stoney, and uber loose feeling.
Awesome. The heavy effects can come during RT, but the heady ones only come later. And man is it awesome when it finally kicks in.

Hang in there, @Pacifico.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Congrats! See we weren't just making the whole thing up. It all sounds like what other herbs promise, but don't deliver until you feel it.

exit stage left
I've been using cold water lately because I don't want to wait for it to cool down. I'm a lightweight, so 4 tbsps is good for me for a night, even in cold water. I'm all for making the kava last longer though, so if hot water makes it stronger, maybe I'll force myself to be patient enough to let it cool.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
In my experience water temp has little to do with it. Room temp is fine. The amount used and agitation are by far better determinants. I use the blender method religiously. It is much quicker than the traditional method and consistently delivers a good grog, so long as you're using a good kava to begin with.