What's new

Was kava really that much better back in the old days?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wondering is all.
"Better" is a subjective term. It is true that we saw kavas that would slap you sideways in the old days, however we also dealt with continual dermapothy and an exquisite lack of energy the following morning. Not all kavas were mixed equally in the old days, in fact much of it was found combined with non-noble cultivars.

Today what we're feeling is the strain of multiple cyclones, a huge economic boom in the United States and abroad, and a push for only noble cultivars which is leading to, most likely, plants being pulled earlier than we were used to seeing in days past.

The good news of this is that it's temporary. A huge number of plants are in the ground now as well as more noble varieties being focused on. We're already starting to see some kavas emerge that have the same spark as we used to see. Kava is on the rise. This can be seen by the number of non-american based vendors attempting to enter the market.

In truth, there are some kavas available right right now that can put many of the "old time" kavas to shame.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
No, not really. I have memories of some really good Kavas (like Paradise Kava - yum) but I think it was all relative.

We are living in the golden age of (online) Kava. Vendors are competing to get us the strongest and purest cultivars.
I think if we had in the past some of the kavas we have now we'd be raving about them 24 hours a day. Overall it's looking really positive in terms of product quality and strength.

Also good to know you survived your kava tsunami yesterday :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
No, not really. I have memories of some really good Kavas (like Paradise Kava - yum) but I think it was all relative.

We are living in the golden age of (online) Kava. Vendors are competing to get us the strongest and purest cultivars.
Hi there. You asked elsewhere, sorry Im not sure which thread now, to let you know how I find the TKR Family Reserve current batch.

Well it finally turned up after customs held it for about 5 weeks before kindly suddenly deciding to drop it at my doorstep.

Well I like it a lot. It is very strong, right up there with anything else I have tried. Very heady, but in a ice way. Not jittery or flighty at all. No anxiety.

I much prefer it to GHK M'oi which actually is a bit u settling and overly stimulatiing to me, and Pouni Ono which too can feel a bit restless and jittery.

The Family Reserve is very smooth and easy to drink. I love the effects, the headspace, very uplifted but clear headed, focussed and relaxed. Not heavy or sedating but not buzzy either.

I don't have your experience by a fraction, but the Reserve is equally my favorite kava in house.

A superb compliment and alternative feeling to my also much enjoyable WoW Kava.

30 grams of Reserve has felt like 40 grams of many others I know.

Edit- alai this batch of reserve is much more potent than the Tongan Choice I tried before. More heady, but a more pronounced character and effect profile.

The Tongan Choice, very nice kava but I don't think I could ever really pin down exactly hiw it was affecting me.

Smooth and easy to drink, slightly balanced but not standing out with such a clear identity, effect wise, unlike the Reserve where I feel I am totally tuned in to the effect and it puts me in a very comfortable place.

I can't imagine anybody would fail to enjoy this Reserve batch anyway.

Last edited: