What's new

Water Kiefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with kiefer grains? I'm considering getting some water kiefer grains. Also, the thought of using kava instead of water crossed my mind. I'm sure it would either be really cool, or the worst idea ever.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I've made water kefir before--I get my grains through Keysands. They're actually local to me (Minnesota). I'd do the 2nd ferment with fruit juice and it was delicious.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Making it with kava sounds horrific, and that's coming from a guy who likes the taste of kava. Also it may weaken the probiotic effect but I'm not sure about that.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
And it's also possible ( i think) that it would alter or eat the kavalactones. I'll probably stick to things that are intended to make it with. I'm hoping my daughter will like it. I can't get her to drink anything but soda. Thinking maybe if I make some with fruit juice the carbonation will be enough like soda to get her to drink it. I've been having stomach issues lately, which tells me I'm in desperate need of probiotics. I'm also going to make some lacto fermented mushrooms. I love those. ::;p2::

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I make milk kefir and kombucha regularly, but I'm not a huge fan of the taste that water kefir has.

Kombucha is most like water kefir, but much tastier and much harder to make

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I make milk kefir and kombucha regularly, but I'm not a huge fan of the taste that water kefir has.

Kombucha is most like water kefir, but much tastier and much harder to make
You inspired me to try kombucha. Got some from the store today. The taste is definitely interesting. Would it be unwise to drink too much at once, since I haven't had any probiotics in a long time?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You inspired me to try kombucha. Got some from the store today. The taste is definitely interesting. Would it be unwise to drink too much at once, since I haven't had any probiotics in a long time?
It can cause the backdoor trots if you drink too much.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
If you drink a bottle you'll be fine. Just don't drink two in one sitting :)

If you want to grow your own scoby, you can do something like this:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-kombucha-scoby-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202596

Don't bother buying a scoby. Just make some sweetened black tea, cool it down, and throw in a bottle of store bought plain kombucha. You'll get your own nice scoby within a month or so and you really don't even have to touch it that whole time. Just wait for the thing to grow.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
If you drink a bottle you'll be fine. Just don't drink two in one sitting :)

If you want to grow your own scoby, you can do something like this:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-kombucha-scoby-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202596

Don't bother buying a scoby. Just make some sweetened black tea, cool it down, and throw in a bottle of store bought plain kombucha. You'll get your own nice scoby within a month or so and you really don't even have to touch it that whole time. Just wait for the thing to grow.
Finally got around to attempting to grow my own scoby today (y) The water kefir didn't do well for me.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Big fan of milk kefir. Drink it everyday if possible with great results. Water Kefir makes me drowsy and its hard to judge alcohol content so i personally stay away.

Not to be a smartass but it's pronounced keh-fear not kiefer :p

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Big fan of milk kefir. Drink it everyday if possible with great results. Water Kefir makes me drowsy and its hard to judge alcohol content so i personally stay away.

Not to be a smartass but it's pronounced keh-fear not kiefer :p
I'm lactose intolerant, so anything where the fermentation removes the lactose is good stuff. Kefir is yummy!

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I like milk kefir, but I have to limit my dairy intake. Too much dairy, and I start having horrible stomach issues and have to go completely dairy free for awhile. I mean not even chips that have the milk allergy warning on them. Lactose doesn't seem to matter one way or another. It's like I have a slight sensitivity to milk proteins themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.