What's new

what are your favorite ways to prepare powdered extracts?

Ethan

Kava Curious
I recently received around 130 grams of 70% kavalactone extract(fine dust powder). seems to be great stuff so far :) obiously, the topic of how to prepare extracts has been discussed a thousand times, but id like to hear what your FAVORITE ways are. What do you consider to be the best, and most effective ways to enjoy this particular variety of our favorite herb?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Please share source for sure.
To do that. You would have to let's see...
Somehow drip 91 grams of pure kavalactones onto the 39 grams of ... say medium/micro/instant kava material ... lol how much was this ?

Ethan

Kava Curious
Sure! I wasn't sure if source sharing was allowed on this forum or not. I got the kava from topextracts.com. They also sell through eBay

Ethan

Kava Curious
And just to be sure you guys are getting my point here, I mean preparing the extract for use i.e: milkshakes, sublingual, making a shell with it like regular kava kava root powder etc.
for years all I've used is the yogi brand kava stress relief tea so, as you can imagine, the milkshakes I'm making out of this kava ABSOLOUTLY blow the kava tea out of the water

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If I'm not mistaken I've seen this product being sold by several less scrupulous kava vendors. I specifically remember the pictures of the product in a measuring cup with words written into the powder itself. In fact, I believe kona kava farm also sells this. It could be the source.

Personally I'd be wary of any product marketed as kava extracts unless they've been tested. However, we simply don't have any data regarding this product, so we can't say with certainty if it is legit or not.

@Ethan, what some vendors will do is purchase "kava extract" from China (which I've seen and it doesn't look good at all), add that to their micronized kava, and call it kava extract powder. True kava extracts wouldn't be in a powder. Kavalactones are waxy and make more of a paste than a powder. 70% kavalactone extract would be a thick paste.

Regarding your question, I use them by sublingual absorption or just eating it like peanut butter. I love paradise kava's extract. The only issue is they're too good, and tend to run out....very quickly.

Edit: Also I've made my own instant kava before with kavas that were really high in kavalactone content. Even after I put the product in a vacuum oven for drying it would still stick to itself slightly due to the kavalactones sticking together, so powdered extracts scream questionable to me.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Also a little request for you @Ethan. On thier website they say they'll provide HPLC testing information after you've purchased the product (seems a little shady). Could you e-mail them and ask for that information?

Ethan

Kava Curious
Also kpam,
I just emailed them and asked for the HPLC testing info. I'm curious too! Hopefully they'll respond

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Awesome! Thank you.

I wouldn't be too worried. I read through the reviews and they do seem positive, but I always question if those people reviewing knew what to look for. I drank some seriously awful kava for quite a long time because I thought kava was supposed to be like that. It didn't kill me. Just made me feel like death for a while. Again, this vendor may be straight up honest, and trustworthy, but what we've found is that vendors may inadvertently be selling kava that can cause more negative side effects. I can see it happening more regularly with vendors who sell k*atom normally and kava on the side.

I'd be equally as wary if I were buying K*atom from someone who only normally sold kava (no k*atom for me. Leads to bad places).

Oh, and don't worry about our censoring software. It's there to prevent google from caching kava with other botanicals, and lumping them together.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Also kpam,
I just emailed them and asked for the HPLC testing info. I'm curious too! Hopefully they'll respond
You won't hear anything back from them. By asking the question you have shown you know too much to remain a custom of theirs, and that is assuming they know what you are asking them.

Ethan

Kava Curious
They have already replied(actually within 10 mins ) of my email asking for HPLC info. I'm trying to find a way to get the chart over to kapmcrunk so he can review it(no computer, only a shitty phone)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
He certainly did, and thank you @Ethan.

I'm posting the HPLC results here. Normally I would ask the vendor, but seeing as neither the vendor, nor the lab are named in the HPLC results, I feel find posting them here.

image01.jpg
image02.jpg

Calling on all lab experts. It looks like this doesn't really tell us much at all about this particular kava...well, other than it contains Kavain. No surprise there.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor

I'm posting the HPLC results here. Normally I would ask the vendor, but seeing as neither the vendor, nor the lab are named in the HPLC results, I feel find posting them here.

View attachment 4533 View attachment 4534
Calling on all lab experts. It looks like this doesn't really tell us much at all about this particular kava...well, other than it contains Kavain. No surprise there.
It contains kavain?! DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT!

...I'm just kidding. Kavain is good :)

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
And just to be sure you guys are getting my point here, I mean preparing the extract for use i.e: milkshakes, sublingual, making a shell with it like regular kava kava root powder etc.
for years all I've used is the yogi brand kava stress relief tea so, as you can imagine, the milkshakes I'm making out of this kava ABSOLOUTLY blow the kava tea out of the water
If you want to try something that'll really blow you away, try some of my products. This one is on sale right now: http://cactuskava.com/product/loa-lawena-kava

:)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina

View attachment 4533 View attachment 4534
You're running low on juice. Plug in your phone pronto!