What's new

What are your go-to "fats" for Kava?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
^^^I can tell you this, around here we fry chicken in bacon grease. Folks around here like there fatty southern style food.:D Me, I like grilling, and smoking meats. That gets rid of lot of the fats. much love, roaddog....

skippykava

Kava Curious
Eat a meal after drinking the kava with lots of schmaltz on the rice, or maybe drink it. You make the schmaltz at home from something like the fat from a big batch of chicken thighs. You filter and put in the fridge and keep the top which is fat and throw away the jelly grace on the bottom. Add that schmaltz fat to the rice and eat some time after drinking the kava.

D

Deleted User01

Honestly, I'm trying to avoid "fat" in my diet so I'm not gonna eat any extra. If I must do fat, it is going to be Rib Eye or Chocolate Ice Cream. I know the theory about fat and kava but it doesn't matter to me. I do my kava before supper and I get plenty of good effects. Of course, I'm a kava liteweight and perhaps I don't have to work very hard to get good results. You want fat after your kava, here is one for the Latinos out there. Make some Tortillas de Harina with Puerco de Manteca and fill those toritillas with Barbacoa (Mixta not Lengua). You should be hallucinating shortly thereafter. :LOL:
Translation. Flour Tortillas made the old fashion way . You buy a box of Pork Lard, it has a picture of a happy little pig on it. You make your flour tortillas with that. Now Barbacoa basically is the head of a cow which is slow cooked until the meat falls apart. The lean part is the tongue. Mixta means mixture and it is always cheaper because it has the fatty parts in it and is dripping with meat grease. You will really, really enjoy those greasy tacos. And if fat makes kava better, you will soon be seeing colors.

By the way, Barbacoa Tacos is a Tex Mex tradition here in South Texas and the good stuff is usually reserved for a leisurely Sunday Breakfast with the family. Typically, it is prepared overnight on Saturday. I will sometimes throw a tongue with some bay leaf and onions in a slow cooker on Saturday nite when we have family visiting. It's a real Sunday Morning Treat with large amounts of coffee and the Sunday Newspaper. I don't do "Mixta".

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've tried using Soy Lecithin in the past and it didn't seem to make the kava any stronger. It has a taste that I can't stand and made drinking the kava less enjoyable. I think coconut oil would be the best because it imparts sugar free sweetness to whatever it's added to in addition to the health benefits.

KavaCat

Meow.
Regular 3.5% fat milk and coconut milk or even unrefined coconut oil have all worked for me. Although when I'm using regular milk, it's for the same reasons violet said. It does smooth it out a bit. It has the same bitterness cutting in kava as it does in coffee.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I've never felt the need to add anything to my kava. Fat sounds like it would be gross to drink. I could get behind coconut water, but I do okay with regular old water.

I was a cook at my last job. The restaurant I worked for made their own stock, and would save the skimmed chicken fat. We would use it for cooking, and it was the most amazing flavor :p

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I would try making a kava sundae.

Take 4 strips of bacon and fry until really crispy.
Place your grog in a small serving bowl.
Add a scoop of your favorite heavy cream ice cream. (ie Hauggindaus)
Pour any bacon grease left over from frying the bacon on top of the ice cream (like you would chocolate syrup)
Crumble the crispy bacon and sprinkle on top of the ice cream.

Get a huge spoon and enjoice. :)

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
Regular 3.5% fat milk and coconut milk or even unrefined coconut oil have all worked for me. Although when I'm using regular milk, it's for the same reasons violet said. It does smooth it out a bit. It has the same bitterness cutting in kava as it does in coffee.
Do you use the coconut milk in a carton or the coconut milk that comes in a can? If you use the one in the can, what ratio of liquid to kava do you use?

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
I've begun brewing my kava in 1/3 whole milk and 2/3 coconut water. The milk rounds out the taste. Also, I wonder whether the milk fats aid in extraction of the kavalactones. Because it does seem more potent when I add a little milk. I plan on trying coconut milk soon, too. ::shell::

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I have tried mixing many different things with kava powder to get it more palatable.
Kava tastes like ASS, and adding anything to it makes it taste like whatever you mixed it
with PLUS ASS.

In my humble opinion.

Thus, I make it with just plain old water, grin, and bear it. Shiver, then smile.

A high fat, high protein (and some say spicy helps) smallish meal after drinking my shells
for the evening kicks it into "high" (pun very much intended) gear. Whee!!