What's new

What do you make your kava in?

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Glass bowl? Plastic or wood? What’s best? Or alubal?

what’s the cup made of? I’ve seen coconut half’s, or wood bowls. I use plastic cups.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
I use a large plastic container or glass bowl. Traditionally one would use a tanoa (kava bowl). Alubal is for making kava on the go or in a more timely manner. It also is good if you dont know hownto effectively knead in a strainer bag. I personally prefer using a nylon 100 micron bag strainer and hand kneading my kava (using 500 ml to 1 liter water depending on tbs i use) . Its the traditional way to do it and the brew will be more potent (if you use proper form and enough kava). In terms of pouring your kava into a cup- nothing wrong with that (aim for 4-6 oz per Shell- space 10-20 min between until desired effects) Although many people prefer the traditional coconut style cup. This is just my take on your questions theres many knowledgeable veterans on here who can answer in more detail.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Glass bowl? Plastic or wood? What’s best? Or alubal?

what’s the cup made of? I’ve seen coconut half’s, or wood bowls. I use plastic cups.
If I am kneading I use a stainless steel or glass bowl. The easier to clean the better. I am lazy, doubly so when I am krunk. The less I have to clean the better. Same with my drinking cup. I have a nice heavy glass cup with a smallish mouth that makes it easier to gulp down 12-16 oz. I find plastic can get stained pretty easily if you forget and leave some in over night. I have a nice large wooden bowl that I have used for visual effect when I have a friend or two willing to indulge in my weird kava habit.

krunkgod

Kava Enthusiast
Either an aluball or this yellow bowl I have. It's perfect for kneading kava. Lately though I've been thinking of making it in the bowl, then transferring it to the aluball to serve as you can shake the aluball prior to serving, so each shell has a good amount of sediment in it.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Either an aluball or this yellow bowl I have. It's perfect for kneading kava. Lately though I've been thinking of making it in the bowl, then transferring it to the aluball to serve as you can shake the aluball prior to serving, so each shell has a good amount of sediment in it.
Not only that, but the modern Alubottles are a great container to take out any liquid securely, knowing it won't spill, be it fresh raw carrot juice or a nice batch of Kava.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I recently switched from a plastic bowl to a glass bowl, from plastic cup to glass cup. Since then the effects have greatly decreased. Does anyone know why?

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I recently switched from a plastic bowl to a glass bowl, from plastic cup to glass cup. Since then the effects have greatly decreased. Does anyone know why?
Changing what you make it in cant change effects, only amount of powder, water, water temp, mix time, and cultivar used can change that.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use a medium sized salad bowl with the grippy bottom. I go to town on the knead and it doesn't move.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I use my Alubottle most often recently.

But week past, a few times, I used a strainer bag to tie and shake in a glass jar.

It was a nice difference. I put 40 grams mixed strong root in the bag, with kecithin. Makes a very strong grog that method I swear, and always two virtually equal washes too, unlike the Aluball.

And rarely now, the blender.