What's new

What do you use to chase your Kava?

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
After I've chugged a shell, I personally have a swig of milk (it really cancels out the taste), followed by a couple of crisps. Currently on flaming hot wotsits.

However, due to a diet, I'm thinking of switching this method up and just going for something like a sugar free coca cola instead of the milk and crisps.

Interested to hear what you use!

Valyn

Kava Curious
I'm currently drinking ginger tea after the session to help with digestion. Although I've had experiences in the past where cooked and hot food can prolong the effects.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
More kava ;)

but seriously, I don’t chase it. I try to have Some electrolyte drinks like coconut water or a sports drink if I’m having a lot of kava, and maybe a peppermint tea for my stomach if I’m eating a good bit with the kava or get indigestion.

I guess I do enjoy having some fruit after a shell to “chase” it and keep the blood sugar up.

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
I used to chase with milk but now I just mix milk in with the water when preparing. I use about 1 part milk to 3 parts water, I much prefer to taste and don’t feel like I need a chaser.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I used to chase with milk but now I just mix milk in with the water when preparing. I use about 1 part milk to 3 parts water, I much prefer to taste and don’t feel like I need a chaser.
Interesting. Edward always recommended doing that but I was never keen on the idea. Ill give it a go. I currently mix my kava with a bit of pineapple juice, that helps the flavour, but want to cut it out because of the unnecessary calories!

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
We've got some chocolate nesquik in the cupboard, I keep meaning to try mixing some in but I actually quite like the flavour of kava these days and don't want to adulterate it.

KavaKween

Kava Curious
I think fruit is the best chaser and kills the bitterness really well without excessive sugar/sodium. Apples, peaches, oranges, and cherries are my go-to. Sometimes I'll reach for something salty like a chip but I still normally follow that with a chunk of fruit.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Nothing, I space them out enough that the taste does not bother me. When I feel tired of drinking it or it becomes a chore I will usually eat something right away and I feel even better after that, usually a light meal.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
After I've chugged a shell, I personally have a swig of milk (it really cancels out the taste), followed by a couple of crisps. Currently on flaming hot wotsits.

However, due to a diet, I'm thinking of switching this method up and just going for something like a sugar free coca cola instead of the milk and crisps.

If you must I find sweet is the best - fresh fruit, juice, small gummies (like sweedish fish) etc. but I have also used ginger beer (fever tree is one of my favorites). Strong flavor and provides a bit of stomach relief from all that kava. I have even made my own ginger drink with fresh grated ginger into tonic water.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
Rather than chase, I add half & half to my kava.
It gives it a silky texture and I actually like the taste of kava when blended with a creamer (no sweetener used)
Whole Milk is also great, but I don't drink a lot of milk - and half & half keeps for several weeks.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast

I chase with something carbonated and sugar free. Mostly I like la croix flavored sparkling water - they have a guava flavor which is a good one. It's not the strongest at covering up the taste, but it works well enough.

mlenny

Kava Curious

Just cold water. Nothing special. Works just fine for me.

Matthew

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Back when I was younger and still wet behind the ears when it comes to kava (over 35 years ago) I used to take a small swallow of root beer and that would cancel the bitterness of the kava. Now I just drink it straight.
Some I have heard would drink milk after to help the kavalactones to absorb, the thought is that the milk will emulsify the oily kavalactones.
I never tried this so I don't know if it works but I do know that several time my brother and I have had kava and then eaten some kalua pork, not too long after that we were both feeling the kava very intense, to the point of wow this is way to strong. I think we should have waited a bit before eating the kalua pork.
Aloha.

Chris

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Back when I was younger and still wet behind the ears when it comes to kava (over 35 years ago) I used to take a small swallow of root beer and that would cancel the bitterness of the kava. Now I just drink it straight.
Some I have heard would drink milk after to help the kavalactones to absorb, the thought is that the milk will emulsify the oily kavalactones.
I never tried this so I don't know if it works but I do know that several time my brother and I have had kava and then eaten some kalua pork, not too long after that we were both feeling the kava very intense, to the point of wow this is way to strong. I think we should have waited a bit before eating the kalua pork.
Aloha.

Chris
Many of your cultivars don't need any chasers. If I chase the kava with a sip of something, then I'll miss the nice aftertaste! That "tanic finish."