What's new

What do you visualize while kneading?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I find that while I stand there doing my traditional prep at the counter with my big pyrex measuring cup and my nylon sack full of soggy kava, as I work the sack under the water and squeeze it, I have a visualization of what I'm actually accomplishing that goes along with the ritual.

Letting it soak there, I picture little dry kava fibers swelling up and getting fat. Because the water's hot, I picture the oily bits inside the wood fibers melting a little and dripping into the water.

When I'm first starting to work the wad (I gotta find a better word than "sack" for that, and wad isn't much better) I picture squeezing all the fat wood chips together, and squishing out some of the oils into the water.

When I wring it out over the bowl, I'm picturing all the fat wood chips in the, er, wad, all crying out at once and then silence.

I really don't know what's going on in there. But having the visuals helps me with the tedium! :)

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I have to alternate. My forearms get tired.

I also visualize squeezing the ball of roots as squeezing one of these sometimes:

Kava's gonna relieve your stress. You're brewing it right now. So take this chance to release some of your stress into the soggy sack. Punish that damn thing! It makes better kava, and it's a great outlet.

This is the stuff I mean when I talk about traditional prep, kneading and mindfulness.

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
My cat. He's a kneader. Likes kneading my soft belly, or comforter, whatever is handy. He does prefer me to wifey, I've got a little more cushion, she is kinda skinny. Was thinking about training him to knead for me but I guess the claws would poke holes on the strainer, plus having to spit out cat hair after downing a shell.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I find myself just looking forward to and focusing on the point where I can stop kneading, and strain. It's like cycling up a really long hill and looking forward to the top.