What's new

What does 'Awa Hiwa Look Like?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I thought I would post this picture of a small Hiwa plant, this one has been in the ground for about 6 months. I like the dark stalks on the Hiwa. Kava has some really nice looking varieties, I think they are all nice but some are very nice like the color of the Hiwa. wait till I post a picture of the Hanakapi Ai.
Thanks for looking and I hope you all enjoy the picture of the Hiwa. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
DSC_9677 (2).jpg

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
It reminds me of a spider made out of bamboo that's upside down! I bet the Hiwa gets very voluminous foliage- and stem-wise.
Yes the Hiwa does produce big stumps or corms, there is a lot of big lateral roots too. If you look at the bottom of each stalk, that is what will keep getting bigger and make a very big stump for harvest. This is also a good example of why I cut the stalks right below the first joint or knuckle, this is what is what is considered the stump, all the stuff above that is for making baby kava plants, each knuckle has the chance to become a new kava plant.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Very nice. I have 1yr old plants that don't look this big. You must have perfect kava-growing conditions at your farm.
Was this grown from a single node?
I have only grown kava in Hawaii so I can not say, but I do know what makes kava happy and I like to make sure my kava plants are very happy. This was in the ground for about 6 months but it was in a small bag for 2 months then into a gallon size bag till it gets about 2 feet tall then it goes into the ground. So I have a good head start when I put it into the ground. When I make cuttings I do so with single node cuttings but sometimes I have 2 nodes in the pot. It looks like this one was from a single node.

Chris