What's new

what does instant or micro look like?

exit stage left
I make my own tea blends, and started buying herbs like chamomile and lavender from an online vendor in Ontario, because I live in Ontario and it was fast shipping and no waiting for customs. That was how I got introduced to kava, I was just browsing what she had for sale and decided to try kava. I've never tried certified noble kava before, and got my first shipment from GHK in the mail today. (Boroguru med grind). I've noticed some differences between what I've been drinking and what GHK's looks like.

I haven't drank the GHK stuff yet. I just made 2 cups of grog from the GHK stuff and it's in the fridge, I'll drink it within the hour. I used the exact same preparation as I do the stuff from Canada so I can compare effects. If anything, the stuff from the canadian vendor was at least good for getting over reverse tolerance, and now that I have the good stuff from GHK I can see how it goes. My preparation method is 2 cups of room temperature/slightly warmed water with 2-4 tbsp of kava in a stocking, 5 minutes of squishing it with a potato masher and 5 minutes of hand kneading. I find that at least with the canadian stuff, I don't need to use a lot to get effects.

The stuff from the canadian vendor is much more finely ground than the GHK stuff. I've tried to get out of her where her kava comes from and she just vaguely said Vanuatu. I'm going to dig a bit deeper. The texture of the canadian vendor's stuff is pretty much like flour. Am I somehow getting instant or micronized from her, or maybe she is grinding the root herself and just grinds it finer (she also sells cut pieces of root) and what does that mean for efficacy? I guess I need to ask her this, but I was wondering what instant or micro looks like.

This is what the stuff from the canadian vendor looks like:
IMG_1859.JPG

And the GHK medium grind definitely has fibres and stuff in it, and it felt dry sooner than the canadian vendor's stuff did while I was kneading it in the water.

I will report back about differing effects once I've tried the GHK stuff.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
There are a wide variety of grinds possible. Do note that micronized, at least around here, implies some level of guarantee that the particles fit into a particular range of sizes. You'll run into some very finely ground powdered root in the 'wild' but I'm personally not a fan of it -- it's gross to drink straight up like micronized because of the extremely gritty texture and makas present, and it's also harder to knead and strain as you discovered. When I'm buying kava for kneading, I like it to be coarse enough that I can see distinct bits of root in there.

exit stage left
Both types tasted very similar. I just drank the GHK stuff so I'm waiting to compare effects. I think the GHK had more lip/tongue numbness. I was also very hungry so I'm making food, hopefully that won't affect the results too much. The GHK stuff had less gritty sludge in the bottom, probably because it had more fibres.

I like the GHK stuff better so far, it already feels a little stronger than the stuff I was drinking before, but the stuff from the Canadian vendor is good in a pinch, because I can get it quickly. I'm going to try and find out from her where it comes from, because I'd like to avoid tudei and other not so great product.

exit stage left
I don't know if I just have a fast metabolism (unlikely) or something, but some of the reviews I've read of GHK's Boroguru says that it takes a little bit longer to kick in and lasts for about 4 hours.... I find both Boroguru and the stuff I was drinking before both hit me almost immediately, and wear off within an hour.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That's very in line with my experience, regardless of vendor. The fun, head buzzing stuff tends to take effect within minutes and wear off in about an hour. Depending on the amount consumed, the anxiolysis and general relaxation can persist for hours. Some strains contain different concentrations of kavalactones and will vary this somewhat, but all of my kava experiences still follow that trend.

Last edited: