What's new

What foods ruin kava high ?

N

Noname

Shit.. I think the orange juice ruined the high and I assume anything acidic will also do the same like lemons pineapples etc

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You may not be getting many responses because of referring to getting "high". The word doesn't lend credibility to kava, but hey, I get what you're asking. It is just a word, after all.

Fried chicken does this to me. Fried chicken for dinner? Forget kava, it just doesn't work at that point. I don't know why. I can't explain it other than I'm southern...and tend to not stop once I've started eating it. So it may be the "fried" aspect mixed with the "I'd eat this until I was dead" aspect that are interfering with kavas intended effects.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I love fried chicken...

There was a bar, might still be there, a dive bar in Northern Costa Rica, just 10 minutes jungle hike from the Nicaragua border in a rural city called Upala. This bar had the most amazing fried chicken I've ever had in my life. I stayed in Upala for a week about 8 or 9 years ago and ate that fried chicken every night. They also had raw turtle egg shooters. But the chicken... Oh my God. If I ever make it back to C.R. I'm going to drive up to Upala and look for that bar again.

I love fried chicken...

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Depends largely on whether you eat before or after kava, even if you eat RIGHT after kava it can still diminish the effect (I agree with Kapmcrunk about avoiding the word high).

Generally it's because when you have food in your stomach, the kava mixes with it, gets carried into the intestine, and less of it is absorbed in the gut because it's mixed with the food. However if you wait a good 30 minutes to an hour after taking kava and then have something spicy, you'll notice it potentiates the effect (for most people).

Other than that I don't know of any foods that specifically "ruin" it.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I think it depends on the strain, and if it's micro/instant/tradprep. Some strains seem to get diminished by eating afterward,
especially carby foods. Other strains get potentiated, some very much, by a small-ish meal of protein/fat and maybe also
spicy food.

In my experience heady strains don't seem to potentiate, but tend to dimish with food afterwards, whereas
heavy strains always seem to potentiate. I also find that micro/instant tends to always dimish with food
regardless of the strain.

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
I find eating does diminish Kava effects. But...... my PM routine works around this. I start by doing the Bula down with 1-2 shells depending on type and strength or until I'm feeling good. Then I fill up a big shell and eat 1 or 2 pieces of fruit. Usually a tropical variety. This takes 5-10 minz. Then down 1 more shells. I'm still feeling the effects. Then down 1-2 shells more. Then I eat salad or soup with a shell. At this point I go to protein/starch with a shell or two. I let everything settle 5-15 minz. I'm usually still feeling the effects. I bula freely for the rest of the evening and keep the joy going. Other wise I found that eating puts the brakes on the Kava experience