What's new

What happens if I drink the grains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I've been loving the Kavafied Kava Supreme. Nice, loving everybody feeling. The Mo'i doesn't make me feel the same, but has a good smooth feel.

What happens if I drink what's left over in the aluball? Seems like a lot of stuff I'm washing down the drain. Just curious.

Thanks!

violet

Do all things with love
That would be like "toss and wash" but after most of the good stuff was already removed. The rough plant fibers could easily cause GI distress.

You could compost the makas. I've used it to repel ants away from windows and the exterior of my home.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
For me, major stomach discomfort. Not dangerous but whatever feeling I could possibly get out of it just isn't worth my body's reaction to filling it with indigestible cellulose. Some people "toss and wash" and have no problem but I think that's rare

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Makas accelerate dermo. You don't want to consume them. Get a more porous bag if you wish, but don't consume the makas.

You can do this. It too will accelerate dermo, but not as quickly as toss & wash. Get a wire mesh like a kitchen strainer and use that to sift your kava. It will be faster than traditional prep and you will get the max out of your medium grind. Stir the strained kava powder in a mug and stir in fruit juice such as orange juice or V8 splash. Keep your drink stirred as the kava will tend to gravitate to the bottom & drink up.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
I would just do another wash with your aluball after you finish it off. It should help get out anything that's left over.

I normally shake my aluball vigorously for a solid 5-15 minutes. Its much thicker and stronger than doing it for the reccomended time (30 seconds?), and subsequent washes don't give me much more effect, so that seems to work very well for getting everything out of my kava.

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
It will probably just give you nausea and that discomfort will pretty much overtake the good aspects you want from the kava, basically rendering using the plant matter useless. Just do several washes. Once the oils are out of the material it's going to be useless anyway.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
As @Rick.Sanchez says shaking longer will get more out of your root but I would also say that soaking before shaking makes it more potent in my experience. I normally put 2 aluballs in the shaker with a tablespoon in each or half full depending on the kava and fill right up with water and milk. The first shell is always nice but the second is noticeably stronger where it's had time to sit and soak.

As @Rick.Sanchez says shaking longer will get more out of your root but I would also say that soaking before shaking makes it more potent in my experience. I normally put 2 aluballs in the shaker with a tablespoon in each or half full depending on the kava and fill right up with water and milk. The first shell is always nice but the second is noticeably stronger where it's had time to sit and soak.
This is a great point. I'm going to start trying to fill the ball in the morning for the night.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
This is a great point. I'm going to start trying to fill the ball in the morning for the night.
That might be a good idea... just pop it in the fridge in the morning and shake at night. Let us know how it goes.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
So are you mixing one shaker up and then drinking that, then letting the same kava soak in another shaker full of water? Or new kava in the aluballs and soaking?

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I've been toss and washing since I could crawl. Bunch of wimps in here! But yeah tummy aches and dermo for most people, I am one of the few, the savage, that can handle toss and wash with no dermo or upset stomach.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
So are you mixing one shaker up and then drinking that, then letting the same kava soak in another shaker full of water? Or new kava in the aluballs and soaking?
I put 2 balls in the shaker and fill with liquid and drink the first shell. The second shell is sitting in the shaker with the balls while I'm waiting for my first shell to settle down. That's when it gets more potent. Then after the second shell I add another ball with more kava and refill with liquid so you're rewashing the first two balls but also using new kava as well. The second and fourth shells seem to be stronger because they are the ones that soak with the kava.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I put 2 balls in the shaker and fill with liquid and drink the first shell. The second shell is sitting in the shaker with the balls while I'm waiting for my first shell to settle down. That's when it gets more potent. Then after the second shell I add another ball with more kava and refill with liquid so you're rewashing the first two balls but also using new kava as well. The second and fourth shells seem to be stronger because they are the ones that soak with the kava.
Ok, so you're drinking part of it and leaving the rest for later. I've been doing 2 tbs in one ball and drinking the whole thing at once, about 500ml usually. I wonder how I would do if I split it in half like that.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
2 tbsps in one shell is fine depending on the kava but most people would prefer to drink more root and spread it out over multiple shells.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
How much is one shell?
I use about 200 to 250 ml, about 7 or 8 oz? I have a little cup I got on holiday which I use and it's about a standard cup. I put two of those in with 2 full aluballs, drink the first cupful, then the second, then add another full ball of kava and add another 2 cups. I can vary this to be less liquid and/or less kava depending on if it's a strong one. I don't like to over do a strong kava with the aluball as I don't strain and I find it lets a bit of sediment through for me.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I've been loving the Kavafied Kava Supreme. Nice, loving everybody feeling. The Mo'i doesn't make me feel the same, but has a good smooth feel.

What happens if I drink what's left over in the aluball? Seems like a lot of stuff I'm washing down the drain. Just curious.

Thanks!
I guarantee the following result: ::fart2::::fart2::::fart2::::fart2::::fart2::

If you can deal with that, then go for it and let your gut extract the lactones.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
How much is one shell?
From the Kavapedia Glossary:
Shell
Refers to a single cup of your Grog that one drinks by either sipping or chugging. A real traditional shell is a half-coconut hollowed out and polished and holds approx. 8 to 12oz of your Kava Grog. But it can really be anything, like a coffee cup, a small bowl, or even a water bottle.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I use about 200 to 250 ml, about 7 or 8 oz? I have a little cup I got on holiday which I use and it's about a standard cup. I put two of those in with 2 full aluballs, drink the first cupful, then the second, then add another full ball of kava and add another 2 cups. I can vary this to be less liquid and/or less kava depending on if it's a strong one. I don't like to over do a strong kava with the aluball as I don't strain and I find it lets a bit of sediment through for me.
Cool, thanks! The soak! Holy crap that worked well!

Status
Not open for further replies.