What's new

What is medium grind?

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
I just opened a bag of GHK's Boroguru and found it lumpy. The pieces of root in the foreground are 3/8 " - 3/4" long. Is that normal? This is a small sample from the top, so I assume it represents the 1 lb bag fairly. Should I grind this further? If so what is the best method? I have a Vitamix and a burr coffee grinder.
GHK Boroguru2.jpg

GHK Boroguru.jpg

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Yes, this is normal.
Medium grind is how kava is traditionally normally consumed in the Pacific Island countries outside Vanuatu. They should call it traditional grind.

Don't grind it further. Kneading it in a kava strainer cloth will allow the finer particles through, leaving behind those larger particles (known as makas).

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice the larger pieces you mentioned. Nope, not normal at all. To avoid damaging your blender, try and break them up into smaller bits before you grind them. Also, @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava should see this.

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Is it clumped together, or just unground pieces? It looks more like a regular grind to me, with those bigger pieces in the ground root. I don't see any reason to grind any further. Unless you think those clumps are brought together by moisture (in which case you might want to consider mould) you'll have no problems.

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
Is it clumped together, or just unground pieces? It looks more like a regular grind to me, with those bigger pieces in the ground root. I don't see any reason to grind any further. Unless you think those clumps are brought together by moisture (in which case you might want to consider mould) you'll have no problems.
They are solid piceces not clumps. I have dealt with moldy kava before and that is not the case here. The taste is fine.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
I often find a lucky root nugget like these in my powder. Just checked my bag or boroguru and sure enough found a small piece. It's just a piece of root that didn't get fully ground up.

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
Ok. Why not buy micro then?
I'm not following you. Micro is 2x the cost and I'm not convinced it is a true value. Besides, my question is simply what is considered a medium grind? In my business if I buy crushed stone in a certain size then I'm assured a certain size range because it has passed thru sieves. I have bought plenty of kava that is basically dust.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
"Medium grind" is the vast majority of kava, There is no standard for medium grind. I have seen grinds coarser than that sold as medium grind. It shouldn't hurt anything, and it's unlikely that grinding it up further will win you a lot of potency.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm not following you. Micro is 2x the cost and I'm not convinced it is a true value. Besides, my question is simply what is considered a medium grind? In my business if I buy crushed stone in a certain size then I'm assured a certain size range because it has passed thru sieves. I have bought plenty of kava that is basically dust.
In my experience micronised kava doesn't taste as nice as med grind but it works a lot more effectively, you don't need anywhere near as much to get good effects and it works a lot more quickly. With med grind it can take between 5 and 15 minutes for me to feel effects. With micro it's almost straight away. To conclude I believe micro is definitely good value if you can get over the taste thing. Personally I prefer med grind because I like the taste better. (yes, I like the taste of kava).

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I just opened a bag of GHK's Boroguru and found it lumpy. The pieces of root in the foreground are 3/8 " - 3/4" long. Is that normal? This is a small sample from the top, so I assume it represents the 1 lb bag fairly. Should I grind this further? If so what is the best method? I have a Vitamix and a burr coffee grinder.
View attachment 6998

View attachment 6996
This is my normal medium grind, it is like most but the grinds from each different vendor and even each different grinder can vary the kind of medium grind you get. The chunks that you see that are pieces of the stump or corm, in Fiji they would call it Lawena. My grinder has a hole in one of the blades and sometimes there is some larger pieces that get through. If you are unhappy with this then I will give you a full refund. Please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I think you might change your mind if you were to try the micronized. A lot of my customers tell me that they use a lot less powder than they would normally use. I am willing to send you a sample to let you try if you want to try some. Aloha.

Chris