What's new

What is your ideal Kava Bowl/Kumete/Tanoa size?

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Got the 3D printer out of storage and these old files got me wondering how big I can print this thing now that 2 years have past since I printed a mini one. If they're 3D printing houses now...I'm sure I can get a decent sized Kumete printed for a reasonable cost.

Attachments

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't need a large swimming pool size. Maybe like an inflatable kiddie pool size.

But seriously: I think a 4 liter or 1 gallon capacity would be about right, so it's large enough there isn't too much spillage when kneading. I only use about 1.5 liters of water, but I generally knead indoors, so minimizing the mess is a good thing. (My current "tanoa" is a 3 or 4 quart plastic bowl)

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Personally I reckon a tanoa should be able to hold at least two litres, but drinking without a group seems to be common in America so maybe one litre will be sufficient for that market.
Most people in America have no idea what kava is... People usually wonder why I drink a very foul tasting "mud" tea.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
But seriously: I think a 4 liter or 1 gallon capacity would be about right, so it's large enough there isn't too much spillage when kneading. I only use about 1.5 liters of water, but I generally knead indoors, so minimizing the mess is a good thing. (My current "tanoa" is a 3 or 4 quart plastic bowl)
Good point, was going to say enough to hold around 1.5-2 litres but kneading that would be a disaster.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I wanna a coffee table size Tanoa, I'll put it right in the middle of my leaving room. :D

Reactions: Myk

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
If its just me drinking I use a 12" tanoa which holds about 2litres. More people, and I'll get one of the bigger 16" - 24" ones out, but thats rare. Kava drinkers in Laos are a rare species..although betel nut is common amongst older women so maybe kava could catch on.
I never mix in the tanoa either - mix with 2 plastic bowls and just pour the finished kava into the tanoa.

verticity

I'm interested in things
If its just me drinking I use a 12" tanoa which holds about 2litres. More people, and I'll get one of the bigger 16" - 24" ones out, but thats rare. Kava drinkers in Laos are a rare species..although betel nut is common amongst older women so maybe kava could catch on.
I never mix in the tanoa either - mix with 2 plastic bowls and just pour the finished kava into the tanoa.
I'm sorry, I'm confused. What is the tanoa for if you don't mix in it?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'm sorry, I'm confused. What is the tanoa for if you don't mix in it?
I use it as a vessel to keep my kava in and serve from whilst drinking it over a few hours.
Traditionally of course the tanoa/ kumete is used for prep as well as serving, but these days many villages in samoa & tonga will prep in buckets or plastic bowls before pouring into the tanoa for serving. Its just easier.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use it as a vessel to keep my kava in and serve from whilst drinking it over a few hours.
Traditionally of course the tanoa/ kumete is used for prep as well as serving, but these days many villages in samoa & tonga will prep in buckets or plastic bowls before pouring into the tanoa for serving. Its just easier.
I do it like that minus the Tanoa, lol.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
It would be pretty neat if you had customization options. Would it be feasible to allow people to select size/design options?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I have a dozen or more different size Tanoa's ::tanoa:: but I still just mix some of my instant in a jar and shake and then enjoy and then relax and then enjoy some more and then repeat. ::happyshell::
Aloha.

Chris