What's new

What makes kava dreams different?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
One of the first things that changes for new kava drinkers, and it certainly was for me, is the effect kava has on dreams. I wanted to start a thread that could help some newbies understand what's going on, and if they haven't had them yet, have a fair idea what to expect. I'm hoping experienced drinkers can join in here with their insights with the goal of helping newbs.

So, in my experience, what makes kava dreams entirely distinct are:

1. more vivid. No other way of putting it, in all respects, kava dreams are more vivid than other dreams and vivid is the only word that captures it.

2. Sharper, clearer, more focus. It's like going from an old VHS tape to blu-ray, everything looks sharper, more lifelike. Also, the colour palette is larger, like going from old 256 colour early VGA to zillions of colours, much more subtle colours, too.

3. Bigger sandbox. Like in video games with more memory on faster systems, the "world" that is created for you to run around in is much much bigger than in non kava dreams, which sometimes feel like they are on a movie soundstage rather than a real world. Kava dreams still are limited to edge of the map effect, but the map is much much bigger before you run out of it.

4. Longer, more frequent, and better recall. Your dreams last longer, you spend more time in REM sleep and while you might not have more REM sessions, which are typically 4 in a good night's sleep, you remember more of them so it seems like you have more REM sessions and they are longer. In fact, very often you wake up and feel like the entire night was nothing but dreams and REM sleep.

5. With lucid dreams, if you have them, they are more lifelike. For me lucid dreams used to feel like they were on a soundstage with artificial lighting, artificial props, garish day glo colours. With kava lucid dreams are out in the world shot on location, with natural lighting and natural colours, much more realistic, less fake. The other thing: kava dreams by themselves are so damn good they make you not even need or want to have lucid dreams.

Anyway, in the pantheon of good things that kava can do good for you, sleep, of course, is near the top, and a big part of that is the incredible effect it has on dreaming, IMO.

Oh, and I have kava dreams every single night without fail since about 2 weeks after I started drinking kava back in the beginning of the year. They ar ea permanent fixture for me now. I have no idea how long they would continue if I stopped but I'm guessing about 3 weeks, then again, I drink kava all day every day.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
a corollary is kava nightmares, which I only ever got, and my wife too, when kava was consumed in conjunction with alcohol. So I haven't had a kava nightmare in a very long time. But I used to call them "good nightmares" because they were technically nightmares, scary stuff and bad things happening, but for me with kava they always had a happy ending or satisfactory resolution or everything seemed like it would be ok anyway. Very curious. So I learned not to worry if I started to have a nightmare, just relax and wait with curiosity for the resolution. But as I say, I have not had a kava nightmare in a very very long time

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

I also want to add that I had 2 alcohol drinks last night and my dreams turned from sweet into nitemare. For example, I was on the first tee to hit the golf ball. I couldn't find a comfortable place to tee up. I swung a few times and completely missed the ball. and guess what, it got worse after that. :eek: And don't even play golf anymore. I was waiting for the Course Marshalls to take me away in a strait jacket. I am soooo looking forward to Kava dreams tonite. They seem to have themes and I get the feeling that the theme is picked up the next day but I can't put my finger on it yet.

D

Deleted User01

Hmmm, I don't think I start thinking about them that much. But when I go to bed, I get a certain type of Deja Vu feeling that the dreams are going to pick up where they left off. But ... I still can' t remember exactly what the theme is and yet I know it is coming. In any event, I know they won't be scary and anxiety ridden and I will wake up refreshed and satisfied. Maybe I need to take an extra dose before bed to intensify them and make them ... well ... recallable. But they can also result in what I call "dark sleep". Nothing happening in the brain. You wake up with the alarm and say, "what just happened the last 8 hours?"

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Yes, #4.
I still am newish and have only been drinking kava here and there but i noticed right off the bat that my sleep was GREATLY improved by this herbal supplement we call kava.
In fact im waking up right now after drinking some kava yesterday after work, and i feel like i slept entirely adequately to begin work again today. Physically and mentally both.
I work as an electrician and so my job is both mental and physical, skilled labor. Put on top of that 8 to 10 hours minimum 5 days a week and i have a helper i have to stay on top of and monitor, fix what he does wrong etc. It can really be alot sometimes, esp. This time of year, i live in Florida so that humid summer heat will literally kill you if you don't drink at least 8 bottles of water a day but even if you do stay hydrated, you're exhausted nonetheless.
Sorry to rant lol. Just wanted to clarify, one of the most rewarding things about kava I've found thus far is its ability to help me sleep. I can drink kava after work, then eat dinner an hour or two later, and go to bed another hour or two later, so what i mean is, i dont actually get 'zonked out' by kava. I dont drink it exactly right before bed. After I've eaten dinner i no longer feel the heightened relaxing effects of kava but i do still feel calmish and relaxed.
In the past I've slept full 8 hour nights and woken up unrested. When you push your body like i have to at work sometimes it becomes difficult to initiate relaxation at the end of the day. All i know is, kava really helps me in this regard. Glad you made thus post mckunckface

Edit: i realize now that the focus of your original post was dreams rather than the generalized sleep. Did not mean to detract or ignore that.
My further thoughts and more on topic response:

Yes, i notice more recall. In the past and without drinking kava within the proximity of a few days, i will remember one dream, one point, one lesson or issue my mind was resolving that night in my sub or un conscious.
With kava, i remember what seems like a threshold of different dreams. I dont know the science or psychology, but i do recall having dreamed many more different people, places and scenarios, ot seems.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Good rant and you inadvertently brought up a good point. I avoid Tuday kava because of the mild hangover the next day and like yourself, I have to be 100% at the git go in the morning. So in that regard, Tudei is dangerous to both myself and my pocketbook. That being said, a couple of doses of good Noble Kava helps me get a full 8 hours of sleep and I wake up refreshed and in a "mellow" mood. And "mellow" means that I won't be gnashing my teeth till the early afternoon when I may be tempted to take a small dose so I can sprint to the finish line.

Great post and welcome to the Kava Forums.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yes, #4.
I still am newish and have only been drinking kava here and there but i noticed right off the bat that my sleep was GREATLY improved by this herbal supplement we call kava.
In fact im waking up right now after drinking some kava yesterday after work, and i feel like i slept entirely adequately to begin work again today. Physically and mentally both.
I work as an electrician and so my job is both mental and physical, skilled labor. Put on top of that 8 to 10 hours minimum 5 days a week and i have a helper i have to stay on top of and monitor, fix what he does wrong etc. It can really be alot sometimes, esp. This time of year, i live in Florida so that humid summer heat will literally kill you if you don't drink at least 8 bottles of water a day but even if you do stay hydrated, you're exhausted nonetheless.
Sorry to rant lol. Just wanted to clarify, one of the most rewarding things about kava I've found thus far is its ability to help me sleep. I can drink kava after work, then eat dinner an hour or two later, and go to bed another hour or two later, so what i mean is, i dont actually get 'zonked out' by kava. I dont drink it exactly right before bed. After I've eaten dinner i no longer feel the heightened relaxing effects of kava but i do still feel calmish and relaxed.
In the past I've slept full 8 hour nights and woken up unrested. When you push your body like i have to at work sometimes it becomes difficult to initiate relaxation at the end of the day. All i know is, kava really helps me in this regard. Glad you made thus post mckunckface

Edit: i realize now that the focus of your original post was dreams rather than the generalized sleep. Did not mean to detract or ignore that.
My further thoughts and more on topic response:

Yes, i notice more recall. In the past and without drinking kava within the proximity of a few days, i will remember one dream, one point, one lesson or issue my mind was resolving that night in my sub or un conscious.
With kava, i remember what seems like a threshold of different dreams. I dont know the science or psychology, but i do recall having dreamed many more different people, places and scenarios, ot seems.
Awesome contribution! I'm glad you talked about the sleep stuff because that is still the most important. And it makes two really important points

1 for sleep benefits you don't drink kava right before bed

2 you can get huge health benefits from drinking even very small amounts of kava,

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Of course kava relaxes me and gives me excellent sleep. But I never experienced any effect on my dreams or something. Might be something which is different from person to person.

D

Deleted User01

I have "better" dreams with Kava for sure. The other day I had 2 drinks and then ate a late supper of Chilichipotle Chicken and waffles. Man, talk about nitemares. And they were so bad that I remembered them and woke up tired from them. So if anyone suffers from anxiety and perhaps from dreams that feed off that anguish, then Kava will definitely help.

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Of course kava relaxes me and gives me excellent sleep. But I never experienced any effect on my dreams or something. Might be something which is different from person to person.
I think I am in the same boat with you Kavamehameha. I've been drinking (strong) kava daily for going on 2 months now and I have never had a kava dream. I was hoping I would get them, but alas I think I'm just too boring a person! :p My mind isn't inventive enough I guess. hehehe Oh well! :p

I think I am in the same boat with you Kavamehameha. I've been drinking (strong) kava daily for going on 2 months now and I have never had a kava dream. I was hoping I would get them, but alas I think I'm just too boring a person! :p My mind isn't inventive enough I guess. hehehe Oh well! :p
I'd have to be attentive to that, but I didn't notice any changes in my dream... except the fact that I really sleep better when it's kava nights :p
I always have some peculiar dreams from as long as I remember so... and I'm not that good to remember them anyway...

But that's an interesting topic Krunkie