What's new

What role does the blender play in prep, compared to kneading ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I know there's a few threads on blenders, but this is from a different angle, so I could get a better understanding, as far as how the mechanisms work science-wise.
What the blender does compared to kneading ?
Does the blender simulate or replicate at all, the way kneading releases the kavalectones ?
Everyone seems to have developed their own preference, and I see that some people blend and knead the same batch, while others just blend and strain without kneading, while others don't blend at all. So I'm curious how it can work multiple ways. So can anyone explain what the blender does to the kavalectones, and how it compares to what we already know about the kneading process ?

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I know there's a few threads on blenders, but I wanted to get a better understanding, as far as how the mechanisms work, on what the blender does compared to kneading. I just like to know how stuff works.
Does the blender simulate or replicate at all, the way kneading releases the kavalectones ?
Everyone seems to have developed their own preference, and I see that some people blend and knead the same batch, while others just blend and strain without kneading, while others don't blend at all. So I'm curious how it can work multiple ways. So can anyone explain what the blender does to the kavalectones, and how it compares to what we already know about the kneading process ?
A blender is optional, traditionally one is not used, the kava is kneaded by hand for 7-10 minutes. The blender may speed up the extraction of kavalactones. I use a blender for my frozen kava, because I don't feel like waiting for it to defrost. :)

I find kneading a batch of kava therapeutic and relaxing but either way works, though I'll add that if you blend first, I still recommend kneading it for 3-4 minutes to get all the goodies out.

ShredMN

Kava Curious
Blending tends to turn the solution into a thick mushy substance. Sometimes I just blend, other times I just knead... and still on other occasions I blend and knead. Personally I think kneading is the best route if you have the patience. 10 minutes is quite a bit better than 5 as well!