What's new

What strains or types of kava are known to cause less nausea/gross taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavabala

Kava Curious
I've been taking some Dua Na Bilo and Wakacon kava this past week, and I really enjoy the effects, but unfortunately the really gross taste and nausea are getting to me. Both strains are definitely noble and have great effects. I'm just curious about what my next purchase should be.

I'm already taking ginger tea and mixing my kava with pure cacao, cinnamon, honey, and tasty vanilla coffee creamer, but that doesn't seem to cut it.
What strains or types should I look into? Preferably something affordable. Micro might help, but is it worth the extra cost? Any specific strains I should buy?
For someone on a very tight budget, is Gourmet Hawaiian Kava actually worth it?

Thanks!

Edit: I apologize to the mods that you had to move this to a different section. Just getting used to this forum, thanks.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Try a Lawena, Squanch has a wonderful lawena, cactus kava also sells a good one.

kavabala

Kava Curious
Try a Lawena, Squanch has a wonderful lawena, cactus kava also sells a good one.
Alright thanks, I'll look into those two. They're both Fijian I assume. The two kava strains I have are Fijian wakas. Lewana is less potent though, so I'll need to consume more to get the same effect, right? Shouldn't I try to get more potent kava so I can consume less?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Alright thanks, I'll look into those two. They're both Fijian I assume. The two kava strains I have are Fijian wakas. Lewana is less potent though, so I'll need to consume more to get the same effect, right? Shouldn't I try to get more potent kava so I can consume less?

Well the wakas are mostly lateral roots, therefore stronger. If you're having problems stomaching the taste, maybe a Lawena would be better.

Yes you can make a strong batch with Lawena, just use more powder or less water.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
@kavabala I've given up on trying to make kava taste good. I make mine in advance, get it as cold as possible, and then do small shells. I'm also the odd duck who does a shell when I wake up in the middle of the night. Great way to fall back to sleep :)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!

Cactus Loa Lawena is very potent, extremely heady. I've always gotten nausea, early in my kava drinking time, it was very severe no matter what vendor/strain. Now it's usually non existent or only a nuisance. KWK Vula Waka has a mild taste and no negative stomach effect for me. GHK Kumakua is the same way but it's all heady.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've been taking some Dua Na Bilo and Wakacon kava this past week, and I really enjoy the effects, but unfortunately the really gross taste and nausea are getting to me. Both strains are definitely noble and have great effects. I'm just curious about what my next purchase should be.

I'm already taking ginger tea and mixing my kava with pure cacao, cinnamon, honey, and tasty vanilla coffee creamer, but that doesn't seem to cut it.
What strains or types should I look into? Preferably something affordable. Micro might help, but is it worth the extra cost? Any specific strains I should buy?
For someone on a very tight budget, is Gourmet Hawaiian Kava actually worth it?

Thanks!

Edit: I apologize to the mods that you had to move this to a different section. Just getting used to this forum, thanks.
The irony here is that Dua Na Bilo has a wonderful flavour. But a lot can depend on prep.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
When you consider that you get free shipping with GHK, yes it is worth it. I'm on a tight budget, and GHK is the only vendor I buy from. I would like to give the Dua Na Bilo a try, though. The only kava that's really given me nausea is Moi. For some reason, that strain just didn't agree with me. I did find that drinking smaller amounts and having a snack about thirty minutes before hand helped with the nausea. As far as taste goes, drinking it ice cold makes a huge difference. Sometimes I use coffee creamer in mine, and sometimes I like it au natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.