What's new

What will help with Kava-induced nausea ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Is there any particular remedies, that would be good for nausea brought on by kava, whether it's because of too much kava, poor quality kava, or poorly prepared kava ?

Same question about remedies for a kava-induced headache. I usually take Ibuprofren, but I did a search and there seems to be questions about the safety of combining those two.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Is there any particular remedies, that would be good for nausea brought on by kava, whether it's because of too much kava, poor quality kava, or poorly prepared kava ?

Same question about remedies for a kava-induced headache. I usually take Ibuprofren, but I did a search and there seems to be questions about the safety of combining those two.
From my experience drinking lots of water has been the easiest way to reduce nausea and headaches. I often forget the importance of staying hydrated, which leads to other problems like dermo.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
For me it's also ginger and drinking lots of water. I mean, loads of. Really, staying hydrated when drinking kava is more important than you might think.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I thought I saw some people say they put ginger in their kava.
I thought it was for flavor, but is it actually a preventative measure against nausea ?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
For me it's also ginger and drinking lots of water. I mean, loads of. Really, staying hydrated when drinking kava is more important than you might think.
Doesn't drinking a ton of water during a session sort of ruin it for you tough? Or do you make it a point for the next day?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Doesn't drinking a ton of water during a session sort of ruin it for you tough? Or do you make it a point for the next day?
I get no negative effects of drinking lots of water during a sesh. In general, though, you do your hydration as a systemic thing, over the course of the day. The short term effects of dehydration in a sesh are easily fixed with a quick chug of water but it's the longer effects of dehydration from kava you want to avoid by drinking plenty of water when you are not drinking kava, e.g. during the day. A lot of people seem to enjoy drinking maté during the day, as it is nicely hydrating, and kava at night.

one thing I do to stay hydrated, and I find it enjoyable for drinking lots of kava, is after the first couple of shells in a sesh have put me in my desired kava zone, I just sip iced kava. The ice really makes a difference both for drinkability and hydration, I find.

TJo

Kava Curious
The first couple of times using Kava I got nausea and had headaches as well but it only took 2-3 sessions before It stopped happening really. Being hydrated is always a good option in general for health and well-being but if you are new to Kava like me, maybe just give yourself time to get used to it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The first couple of times using Kava I got nausea and had headaches as well but it only took 2-3 sessions before It stopped happening really. Being hydrated is always a good option in general for health and well-being but if you are new to Kava like me, maybe just give yourself time to get used to it.
You pick this stuff up quickly. That bodes well.