What's new

Whats the concentration of kava you usually consume in a session?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
In fiji usually 100g of kava makes about 3L for a group sitting. I want to know how much kava do you mix for yourself into how much water per session?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't weigh it but @Henry does and I seem to remember him saying something like 50 grams is good for himself for a mild session. 70 would be a good session. Could be wrong, hopefully he'll see this and correct me if I'm wrong.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Most of us use "tablespoon" or "cup" measurements...there seems to be a split in how much people require to get effects. Some people use 3-5 tablespoons for good effects but others need 8+ tablespoons.
I typically use 8 Tablespoons of kava, which equals a half 'cup'...sometimes I use a little less or little more.
That's mixed with 2.5 cups of water.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Most of us use "tablespoon" or "cup" measurements...there seems to be a split in how much people require to get effects. Some people use 3-5 tablespoons for good effects but others need 8+ tablespoons.
I typically use 8 Tablespoons of kava, which equals a half 'cup'...sometimes I use a little less or little more.
That's mixed with 2.5 cups of water.
Wow that is a pretty strong mix! do you ensure that all the gooeyness of the strained kava is gone?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup, (4-6 tbs) Depends on the kava and my mood. I used to go with 1/2 cup, but it was overkill for me.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It all depends on the type of kava but I would normally expect to get clear effects from 30g, very nice effects from 50-60g (to 1l of water). 70-80 is a very solid session. Provably better at home. 90g of good kava is too much for me as it gives me strong double vision etc.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Looking at the concentration you guys make it seems like you go through alot of kava in a week!
How much do you spend on average a week on kava alone?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I use about 12-15g per 12oz usually (one 6oz shell and then reuse the material for another 6oz shell) this is clise to 2tbs of root. I usually end up having 3 or 4 of these six oz shells in a night..

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Interesting, when was this census taken? One thing which doesnt make sense though is if average daily consumption is so high, how come the average budget on kava is low?
Do you think kava is more expensive or cheaper than alcohol in the US now with the recent increase in kava prices because of climate change?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Interesting, when was this census taken? One thing which doesnt make sense though is if average daily consumption is so high, how come the average budget on kava is low?
It was opened in like June maybe and is still open. So should probably reflect post-cyclone pricing. (may want to cross-check budget+amount with "how many days per week do you use kava" as most are not daily drinkers).

blindy107

Kava Lover
I'm typically on the upper end as well. 8tbsp or so. Lately I've just been weighing at 50grams. Split that between two aluballs and shaker full of water with a half shaker second wash.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I still think kava is cheaper than alcohol overall. Especially if you compare high end alcohol to high end kava prices. A good quality craft brew 12 pack is gonna cost you at least around $18-20 and a good quality fifth of liquor will be $30-50 depending on taxes etc. you can find lots of high grade kavas for $20-30 for a half lb or full Lbs for $40-55. I would argue that a half lb of kava would give most people more mileage in sessions than a 12 pack of beer, and certainly a lb of kava will get you more bang for buck then a bottle of liquor. That said, consumption of booze and kava is highly variable. For me, i can get about 16-22 shells out of a half lb of kava (i use about 2 tbs per knead, but end up getting a secon shell out of that when i knead it for a second time) and drink maybe 2-4 shells per night. The time in life when i drank the most booze, i would typically drink 2-4 beers a day and sometimes more like 6 or 9. It is extremely rare that i will have 6 or 9 shells of kava in one night.

On the other hand, I know those people here, who there are a good number of, who consume upwards of 80 grams in regular session. Ive seen a couple who use a quarter lb or more in a day. Thats all great but not very economic. Multiple lbs of kava in a week could come close to triple digits if it was the pricier stuff. But then again there are people who drink more than a 12 pack in a day to enjoy their alcohol, which would cost just as much. So i can only really say that it is still more affordable than alcohol for myself only. And it really is an expensive hobby, hosting kava sessions with friends can be difficult to afford at times. Ideally my favorite kavas would be available for $40 a lb. I feel like i am always spending a little out of my budget with kava

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
For me, i can get about 16-22 shells out of a half lb of kava (i use about 2 tbs per knead, but end up getting a secon shell out of that when i knead it for a second time) and drink maybe 2-4 shells per night.
I think you use a reasonable amount which appears to be economical. Usually how we in fiji identify if the kava has been fully extracted is by checking that the knead isnt gooey. If its still gooey it needs more kneading. We never do 2nd kneads.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah shit gets costly, I have been ordering a bit of kava lately because I have been drinking a lot more. Before id just take it sublingually. Now I just mix and toss and wash. I will try to cut back and not hit it so hard. I am trying to go with best bang fkr your buck kavas. From GHK that's a boroguru and mahakea for the price I feel like they cant be beat. Now I am going to delve into some other vendors looking atna Pound of borogu and nangol from BKH and then a pound from sqaunch whichever kind. There are honestly too many damn kavas and trying to find the one for me is. Difficult. The only one I was recommended for what i was looking for that worked was the boroguru. So it's a testing thing, but now I want some euphoria so we will see.