What's new

What's up?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Good to see ya Steve, any particular kava hittin' your sweet spot these days ?
Hey man. Been drinking mostly what the Melo Melo has on tap these days, which varies a bit. I did encounter one particular cultivar they were calling "Mali Mali" from Tonga which they only bought a couple bags of to try out. People universally panned the flavor there. The bartenders didn't like it, and the people they had try it didn't like it... except for me, and I *LOVED* it.

I bought some while they had it. They may still have a little more. I don't know where they got it, but I'll talk to the owners next time I'm there and see if I can find it.

The flavor was and is bad even for kava. Tongan tends to be milder tasting than the ni-Vanuatu stuff as a whole for me, and this tasted like Tongan but had this really odd sour milk funk on it that was gagging even for me.

But the effects of this stuff, holy crap! Heady and strong and really tingle-inducing. Mo'i is still my favorite heady monster, but this one is a very special Kava indeed. I'll report my findings if I learn cultivar or chemotype info or get more clues on where I can get more.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Hey man. Been drinking mostly what the Melo Melo has on tap these days, which varies a bit. I did encounter one particular cultivar they were calling "Mali Mali" from Tonga which they only bought a couple bags of to try out. People universally panned the flavor there. The bartenders didn't like it, and the people they had try it didn't like it... except for me, and I *LOVED* it.

I bought some while they had it. They may still have a little more. I don't know where they got it, but I'll talk to the owners next time I'm there and see if I can find it.

The flavor was and is bad even for kava. Tongan tends to be milder tasting than the ni-Vanuatu stuff as a whole for me, and this tasted like Tongan but had this really odd sour milk funk on it that was gagging even for me.

But the effects of this stuff, holy crap! Heady and strong and really tingle-inducing. Mo'i is still my favorite heady monster, but this one is a very special Kava indeed. I'll report my findings if I learn cultivar or chemotype info or get more clues on where I can get more.
Interesting, I had some weird fresh kava in Vanuatu that had a distinct funky, soured slightly fermented taste to it and it rocked me pretty hard, it was also the only one I couldn't finish in it's entirety. Definitely wasn't full blown heady though, made me pretty sloppy and tired alongside the strong headiness. I figured it might be day old kava...or god knows what else out there. :)

I'm curious to know how the dry powder tastes/smells, in relation to it's flavor, of that one you had.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I'm curious to know how the dry powder tastes/smells, in relation to it's flavor, of that one you had.
The dry powder smelled like tongan kava + parmesan cheese. Never smelled anything like it.
It was light colored... a tannish color, and not with the reddish cast on Pouni Ono or KavaBoy especially. Not as tan as Hawaiian Ava though.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
The dry powder smelled like tongan kava + parmesan cheese...
Mystery Solved!

Turns out Parmesan scent was actually from an empty bag of Cheetos buried in the beard that was lost while standing in line for 24 hours at the Apple Store waiting for the latest iPhone release months ago.

Last edited:

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
It's getting a litttle redonkulous at this point. I pulled a hair out and measured it at over one foot long. The people who told me that my beard would find its length and then fall out/stop getting longer have LIED!
Good to hear that. I have foot long hairs on my feet. Is that ironic?
Your beard hasn't found it's length yet, perhaps?