What's new

What's with the one-month-only thing I've heard?

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I've recently begun using Kava on a semi-regular basis, and have seen from a handful of sources, including the bottle of capsules on my desk (Gaia herbs - they say they only use the root of the plant, so please have mercy on me for buying capsules) that one should limit regular use to one month only and stop afterwards. However, I've yet to come across an actual justification for this, or any evidence that continued use for upwards of a month will result in anything other than yellow, flakey skin in cases where people use more than I do.

So why is it that this "one month" thing is floating around without a readily available explanation?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
No justification. A good number of users here have been regular users for many years (+10) and have posted their bloodwork including liver enzymes - with no ill effects. I myself have been using it for just over a year almost everyday with only a few breaks for relieving the side effect of the dreaded dermo. The dermopathy can range from mildly unsightly, to itchy, to holy crap you look like a lizard. I also have issues with getting styes but that has subsided lately.

I think they are recommending it as nothing more than a precautionary or CYA statement so that if anyone does have an issue they can point to the label and say "did you use it as directed?". Basically giving themselves a legal way out. Damn lawyers.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Fair enought, I figured it was a legal thing so they couldn't be held responsible if adverse effects occured. Thanks!