What's new

Whats your perfect Kava bar?

ZMan

Hey y'all!

As we all know Kava is slowly becoming more popular and Kava bars are starting to emerge!! I am currently trying to get my own started in my area. However, I thought I would start a fun conversation about what it is that makes the perfect Kava bar for all of you? We are trying to have a Kava bar that has traditional Kava AND Kava cocktail but what are things that would make the ultimate experience? Please let me know your thoughts because I really want this bar to an amazing experience for all that enter!

Looking forward to hear the suggestions!

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
A more traditional style with some typical rock music to fill the atmosphere, I know going more mellow would probably be peoples first thought but a lot of rock just feels so good with kava. Inside and outside areas. Throw some simple snacks on the menu and I think I'm pleased. Doesn't seem like there would be much to making a great kava bar given you know how you're gonna consistently prepare for a lot of people every day that all like different kinds of kava and new people altogether.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey y'all!

As we all know Kava is slowly becoming more popular and Kava bars are starting to emerge!! I am currently trying to get my own started in my area. However, I thought I would start a fun conversation about what it is that makes the perfect Kava bar for all of you? We are trying to have a Kava bar that has traditional Kava AND Kava cocktail but what are things that would make the ultimate experience? Please let me know your thoughts because I really want this bar to an amazing experience for all that enter!

Looking forward to hear the suggestions!
What I want is a nak for grog drinkers. All I've seen so far are of necessity just for tourists, not for kava drinkers. So they only have 2 or 3 types of weak kava, with no option for stronger. I understand why, you don't want to send alcoholics to the hospital after they demanded two extra strong kavas, bad for business. But there isn't really anything for ME at a nak. They all seem to get the decor right and some are really wonderful places as places. I only wish they served kava that I want to drink vs kava that is a pale imitation of what I could get at home and at 1/12 the price. Maybe if they also served kr.... jk! :ROFLMAO:

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I would like a place that has an open mic night maybe once a week or so. Maybe some different types of African music playing or old music one might hear in the kava drinking islands. Or just that Kava Skin song on repeat.
Oh, and free kava. I'd like free kava all the time. And I might require my very own silver plated bilo with my name etched in the side.
Karaoke only of non English tunes.
And free kava.
8U£@!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
A kava bar should be a peaceful place for quiet contemplation and calm conversation. Ideally, it should be a small establishment located by some green space (park?) or a beach. Just like @nabanga I always try to go outside, even for a few minutes, when I drink my kava. My ideal kava bar would be a tiny establishment by the beach selling takeaway kavas and playing some relaxing tunes.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
I've seen a few pics and videos from some of the US-based kava bars and I struggle to understand why they remain profitable or popular.
E.g. a bar doing kava techno nights http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/a-curious-kava-bar-event.10763/
Not to mention that other "kava" bar with people taking their shirts off, screaming and dancing on the bar. Or that other bar organising loud "karaoke" nights and live concerts. Just crazy.
I can't possibly imagine behaving in this way or watching anyone behave in this way after a few shells.

Maybe that's what some of the other substances served at some of the "kava" bars in America do to people..
This sounds like the absolute worst experience ever. I have to literally play my games without headphones. I cant imagine a techno night.

On a side note, Id like to visit BKH up in Oregon. I think they would have a pretty traditional one. Although ive never been so maybe someone else can answer this cause i dont know jack. No kavabars around me in mormon state (to my knowledge).

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I've only been to 2 kava bars, and they were both nice places but LOUSY kava. Waaaay too weak. The last one I was
at was this past spring in Cocoa FL. I had 4 shells, and felt virtually nothing at all. I had to really concentrate to see
if I was really feeling anything. What a gyp. The other one in Melbourne isn't any better, and is mostly Kr@ anyway.

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
Never been to a kava bar (yet) but if I were to design my own (maybe not that far off of a dream... I'm a kava fan and a movie/tv Set Decorator, so it's becoming a new dream of mine), I'd make it feel like the amazing 60s/70s kitschy tiki bars that I love, which also feel a lot like Disney World's Polynesian resort. Love that kitschy Polynesian decor and funky lighting. I'd have a variety of booth areas for small intimate gatherings and a HUGE outdoor space nestled in some beautiful tropical plants. The music would be what I love to listen to when drinking kava - a mix of tropical house, Caribbean and Hawaiian music, and lots of good old soul music like Sam Cooke. We would serve small plates like bacon wrapped dates and pork sliders and pineapple. There would be many varieties of kava and kava cocktails. It would be really tailored to the experience the drinker wants, similar to cocktail bars or microbrews or wine bars that are very into the subtle differences and unique aspects of any grog. Oh, and we would serve some specialty kavas out of themed tiki glasses just for fun and a nice way to serve some more rare varieties that may be a bit pricier.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
My ideal would be a chair-less place where everyone sits on the floor in one big circle around a big tanoa and a server bring kava in rounds, everyone drinking from the same shell. Payment could be either an entrance fee, or they could have someone else just keep track of how many shells you drink.

Music could be someone or a couple people strumming a guitar and taking requests; and maybe good reggae.