What's new

When to drink water ? Before, during, and after ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Everyone seems to agree on the importance of hydrating when drinking kava.
But does it really need to be before, during, and after ?
I wanted to be sure, in case drinking too much water before the kava possibly weakens the effect. And possibly the same for drinking the water during.
Can a person safely wait til immediately after they're done with the kava, before they start the water ?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Everyone seems to agree on the importance of hydrating when drinking kava.
But does it really need to be before, during, and after ?
I wanted to be sure, in case drinking too much water before the kava possibly weakens the effect. And possibly the same for drinking the water during.
Can a person safely wait til immediately after they're done with the kava, before they start the water ?
As a general rule of thumb, you should always be hydrated, when you drink it is up to you but drinking water a couple hours after the kava is not a bad habit to get into. It's also very beneficial to have a glass first thing in the morning.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I agree with the stone monkey, the key is to be systemically well-hydrated even more than immediately. So, for example, if you shell at night, be sure to hydrate well during the day. It certainly doesn't hurt to drink water immediately before, during and after, and it won't affect effect. One thing you do want to do, though, is pay attention to if or when you start to feel any bad effects and immediately start hydrating, to nip that stuff in the bud.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
While I agree that one should generally for good health always be hydrated I don't recommend drinking a bunch of water just prior to chugging your kava. Based on experience it tends to tamper down the immediate effects of the kava hitting your bloodstream. I tend to not have any food or drink for awhile, then start my kava drinking with good amount, and follow up with continuing to drink water (or vitamin water) every half hour or so in between shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.