What's new

Where does one dispose of acetone?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I have my smaller bottles now and want to get rid of these jelly jars full of acetone. Hazardous waste dump? Pour it on a weed I've been trying to kill?

K

Kava Steve

if you are worried about the ground then just pouring it on a hand towel will evaporate in minutes... I use it for cleaning surfaces all the time and it's hard to keep the rag wet.

Acetone aka Nail polish remover in case you didn't know

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I am a lorry driver carrying ISO tank containers and regularly carry flammable liquids including acetone or similars. It's not to be trifled with but fine all the time it's in the tank. It's when you want to load/unload that's the problem. As Steve says though, get some of almost any similar substance (acetone, ethanol) onto a cloth and it cleans up oil based grime no problem.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Alternately, you could not dispose of it. Remove (decant) the liquid from above the settled kava and place it in another glass container, label it, and save (in a cool dark place) it to refer to later. Allow the remaining makas to dry out outside, then dump them in the trash. Whatever you do, don't dump used acetone down the sink or toilet. If your pipes are plastic, it could melt them.

verticity

I'm interested in things
acetone evaporates fast...take the cover off and it'll be gone quickly.
It is best to do this outdoors. Also, to repeat what Deleted User said, acetone is very flammable. Don't use it in a kitchen with a gas oven and the gas oven on at the same time, for example. Don't smoke near the opened container of acetone. Don't toss it in the fireplace or on the BBQ grill.. you get the idea..

K

Kava Steve

other good uses: clean old stained vinyl with a single swipe be sure to quickly follow with a wet rag or it will turn vinyl to goo.... don't scrub, just a quick wipe