What's new

Which Instant Kava is the closest thing to making traditionally ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I'm about to mostly abandon other ways of acquiring or creating kava, and resort to Instant. And I realize it costs more. But that's okay. I'm just interested in quality.
So I'm looking for everyone's opinion on both the vendor and the product name of the best instant, that's closest to the "real" thing of making traditionally ?
I've tried kava from kava lounges locally, and that's the best I can find. But I just can't seem to re-create that quality on my own, whether it's using the Aluball, or traditionally prepping myself. And I can't afford to continually buy it from the lounge.
So, is there a really good Instant out there that can "re-create" that true homemade kave quality ?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Instant kava is a beast all on it's own. It tastes the closest out of all of the dried options to fresh kava. My own experience of "fresh" kava is the frozen kind but still I can see the point that people make when they say that instant usually tastes similar. Bearing that in mind you're not going to get an instant that tastes much like trad prep med grind. Personally I like instant kava and I am never convinced when people say it is more expensive. If it is there is very little in it. I suppose a lot depends on your tolerance level. If you need a lot of kava to get you where you want to be then you're going to need a lot of either kind. If you usually use 3 to 4 tablespoons of med grind then 10 to 20 grams of instant a session should do the job nicely and at around 0.45/0.50 cents a gram that's not a huge lay out.

For recommendations I would give you two...

Root of Happiness Premium Vanuatu. One of my favourites ever. Nicely muscle melting and strong on the sedation.

BKH Vanuatu Instant Green. Too heady for me but very solid quality kava at a reasonable price.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
BKH Vanuatu Instant Green. Too heady for me but very solid quality kava at a reasonable price.
Have you tried the BKH instant this year (2019)? I bought a tin of the instant back in February and just let it sit around until just a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised. It was more balanced than what I was used to and had pretty good potency.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Have you tried the BKH instant this year (2019)? I bought a tin of the instant back in February and just let it sit around until just a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised. It was more balanced than what I was used to and had pretty good potency.
I've not tried it recently but I've sold quite a bit of it and people always come back for more.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Instant kava is a beast all on it's own. It tastes the closest out of all of the dried options to fresh kava. My own experience of "fresh" kava is the frozen kind but still I can see the point that people make when they say that instant usually tastes similar. Bearing that in mind you're not going to get an instant that tastes much like trad prep med grind.

Root of Happiness Premium Vanuatu. One of my favourites ever. Nicely muscle melting and strong on the sedation.

I am more interested in potency than taste.
Would you still rate the 2 you listed as high on the list for "effects" ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm about to mostly abandon other ways of acquiring or creating kava, and resort to Instant. And I realize it costs more. But that's okay. I'm just interested in quality.
So I'm looking for everyone's opinion on both the vendor and the product name of the best instant, that's closest to the "real" thing of making traditionally ?
I've tried kava from kava lounges locally, and that's the best I can find. But I just can't seem to re-create that quality on my own, whether it's using the Aluball, or traditionally prepping myself. And I can't afford to continually buy it from the lounge.
So, is there a really good Instant out there that can "re-create" that true homemade kave quality ?
BKH Instant Green. It's about the most 1:1 for green kava that I've found.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast

BKH Instant Green. It's about the most 1:1 for green kava that I've found.
I'm not seeing an "Instant Green" on the BKH website. There's nothing that has the word "green" in it.
Does it go by another name on their site ?