What's new

Whoa! So I Just Tried Chewing Dried Kava Roots.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I made an impromptu video review of Kavafied's Dried Fijian Kava Root Hairs tonight. I wasn't anticipating doing it, but I had just received this big shipment and decided to open up the bag and chew on a root hair. It has this other-worldly quality from Kava prepared by kneading and drinking. It really, really numbs the life out of your entire face and throat. And I was surprised at how far one cigarette-sized (just for size comparison) piece of Kava took me. I chewed it for about 10 minutes and started getting a really relaxed, happy feeling. Unexpectedly, all of this, because I had otherwise been having a pretty depressing day.

Anyway, video coming up!

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Very cool, I regret not trying this while in the South Pacific. A traditional Fijian way of grinding the root, I believe.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Upon further reading, correct me if I'm wrong, but chewing was and still is used in place of grinding/grating the roots. That nice little ciggy mess you showed us in your vid would then be prepared traditional kneading style and shared. 2 krunks from one root? Unless I'm way off you got a lot of bang for your buck

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
A ridiculous amount of bang for my buck. I actually had a session of Fu'u afterwards to kind of taper the uplifting Kava buzz I got from chewing the roots.

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
Awesome personal rediscovery of some seriously important traditional ecological knowledge (TEK).

There is, absolutely, a set of physiological conditions that inform the effectiveness of the kava experience from chewing whole root. I can go into this if there is interest.

You've made me a believer. I've reached out to Kavafied to order some roots.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I'm wondering if chewing the roots would give any effects on a full stomach seeing as it would be taken mostly sublingually

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
I'm wondering if chewing the roots would give any effects on a full stomach seeing as it would be taken mostly sublingually
Yes. Exactly. I would expect chewing roots to be nearly full potency on a full stomach. Maybe a subject for another video?

Amylase in saliva, Prolonged mastication, oil/emulsion absorption thru mucous membranes, cranial innervation and circulation all impact the rapidity, potency, and efficacy of this mode of consumption.

I love it when TEK wins.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
This is awesome news since I've been looking for a way to get past the full stomach issue. I take my kava mostly for medicinal reasons and its kinda tough to time a panic attack with your eating schedule:nailbiting:

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I bought some when @Kavafied first offered the dried root hairs. Still got quite a lot left because although I loved the effects, I was never sure what to do with the leftover stuff in my mouth when chewing! Sometimes little bits came off, and then I'd been chewing for a while and you get kava bits in your mouth from this. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to swallow it, so I ended up keeping a little bowl nearby to spit into. But spitting is one of those things that I cannot stand! Either from myself or other people. To me its like chalk on a chalkboard! Or when your fork scrapes along a dinner plate. I did find that chewing on the bigger pieces resulted in slightly fewer bits breaking off before mastication, but I end up with a lot of saliva! So along with my little spit bowl I have to have a tissue handy too. All told, its not something I would do with other people around!

blindy107

Kava Lover
I bought some a few years back from Chris @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and absolutely loved them. Helped me taper my chewin tobaccy habit.

In regards to swallowing it, the little soft pulpy material is acceptable as it is the same as micro that GHK sells. The long and harder fibrous strands that are left over are essentially the macas.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Such a unique experience to chew Waka root. I have some to take pictures of and as a sort of Kava keep sake. So it is hard for me to not take more pieces off of it. I will have to get more.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Interesting responses... In past experience, It definitely does the trick but personally, as much as I love the root, I really try to avoid prolonging the taste of kava.

With that said, if kavafied is out and @sentiententity or anyone else wants some until they're stocked up again, we've got loads of Borogu rootlets available that we normally grind up for your nightly grog :) Just msg me and I'll make it happen.