What's new

Why do you drink it?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Today's kava fact comes from you, kava lovers. Do you have any special reasons you drink kava? I, as well as many others, drink kava for a multitude of different reasons. Personally I drink kava for the fantastic sleep it provides me, the relaxation at the end of the day, and the amazing benefits it provides in calming obsessive thoughts that tend to creep in. Kava is an ever evolving cultural phenomena that every one of us add to daily when we drink kava. We honor its past by continuing to contribute to its present and future.

Bula!

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
Also many reasons for me, but #1 is comfort. It's just good to know kava is there for me whenever I need it. My girlfriend called me a kava hoarder this morning. This may be true, but I know we would both be glad if we couldn't order kava for awhile for any reason.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Also many reasons for me, but #1 is comfort. It's just good to know kava is there for me whenever I need it. My girlfriend called me a kava hoarder this morning. This may be true, but I know we would both be glad if we couldn't order kava for awhile for any reason.
My wife has given up. The counter space I take up with my kava has expanded over the years and now it's pretty much the whole kitchen counter plus a few drawers.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
My wife has given up. The counter space I take up with my kava has expanded over the years and now it's pretty much the whole kitchen counter plus a few drawers.
Were getting there too haha. Sometimes she wonders why I am ordering more kava but honestly I spend less money overall when I'm stocked up on kava. Just makes me content and not want to buy random things. Does your wife drink kava with you? Like I said my girlfriend does, and that leads to me not understanding why she isn't as excited about it as me sometimes lol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Were getting there too haha. Sometimes she wonders why I am ordering more kava but honestly I spend less money overall when I'm stocked up on kava. Just makes me content and not want to buy random things. Does your wife drink kava with you? Like I said my girlfriend does, and that leads to me not understanding why she isn't as excited about it as me sometimes lol.
Yeah, she used to, but she's on a medication now that doesn't play well with kava, so it's all me now, lol. I find I spend less too on impulsive buys. Kava really satiates that need for something "new". I suspect it comes from kavas ability to reduce our impulses overall. I know once I started drinking kava I was far more likely to stop and take the time to think instead of just ripping and tearing.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Personally I drink kava for the fantastic sleep it provides me, the relaxation at the end of the day, and the amazing benefits it provides in calming obsessive thoughts that tend to creep in. Kava is an ever evolving cultural phenomena that every one of us add to daily when we drink kava. We honor its past by continuing to contribute to its present and future.
I really love the century-long history and culture behind it. What a fantastic plant!

Last edited:

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I drink kava for the serenity it gives in life's frustrations. This year my kava intake has gone up ton with all of the frustrations and unknowns happening. But with kava I have the ability to live in the moment or reflect on situations that were out of my control and move past.

Also Kava has made me stop buying a lot less material things and I don't think it was just to save money for more kava either hahah

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
My reasons echo the good Kapm's, and it makes a superb alcohol replacement! I like beer, and getting tipsy, but the alcohol experience is darker, with many more negative effects. I get a lot of benefit without a lot of negative cost, I guess. Hey Piper, can you elaborate on how the Tongan treats you, you say it sharpens you up a bit for doing things? Sometimes that effect would help, other times it's anxiolytic is what I need.

Bula!

Dave

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I began drinking kava for anxiety, it was the first time in my life something other than benzos quelled my anxiety. Because of kava, I've learned to control my anxiety and don't need kava for that reason anymore, it still has the desired effect but it's nice to know I don't have to have it.

I have always enjoyed the ritual of drinking kava, I've learned to enjoy everything from prepping to consuming it and often find myself lost in thought, standing over the Tanoa after that first strong shell. I have other rituals but I think kava is my favorite one.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I use kava for a few reasons.

1. It’s calming and feel good aspects. When I first started using kava, my job situation was terrible. My boss at the time was a bad micromanager and I could do nothing right. Long story short, kava helped me outlast him and his replacement is the best boss I have ever had.
2. It’s a wonderful muscle relaxer. I put a VERY small (1/8-1/4 tsp) amount in my coffee in the morning. I can have terrible back cramps. I can not take flexeril because it locks my bladder up. Yep full bladder and can not pee... #NOFUNATALL! I found about it’s muscle relaxant qualities due to number one above. It also gives coffee a nice kick. Coffee/kava blend is not for everyone.

I can not use Kava for sleep, it has the opposite effect - it makes me stay awake. The head buzz can be nice, but I don’t get that often because life can be hectic. You MUST have down time without distractions to get the heady effects. My brother, who in his younger years has tried pretty much all the drugs out there, says when kava gives you a heady buzz - it feels like a weak ecstasy. It’s just harder to get to that point. I think I like the body hit more for the relaxation...

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Yeah, she used to, but she's on a medication now that doesn't play well with kava, so it's all me now, lol. I find I spend less too on impulsive buys. Kava really satiates that need for something "new". I suspect it comes from kavas ability to reduce our impulses overall. I know once I started drinking kava I was far more likely to stop and take the time to think instead of just ripping and tearing.
I'm still going through this thread because it's all a good conversation, but I feel compelled to respond to this particular thing.

I'm someone who overanalyzes things and I find kava helps me to mentally slow down. I'm someone who talks to himself out loud and I've had ample time to do that since the pandemic started. I talk to myself about really trivial stuff but it's a very useful coping mechanism. Sometimes thoughts stick better when I speak them out loud than just thinking them to myself. It's better when I actually communicate with someone else, of course! In small amounts, some kava grog helps me articulate better ideas that have been on my mind. I'm mostly drinking kava in the afternoon when my mind is more or less running at 100%. In regards to spending money, I don't think kava has had significant impact on my habits, which I think are healthy. I pay bills on time, I buy things only when I really want them and do some research; honestly eating out is my weakness lately but it's always local places that could use the money. I'm definitely enjoying the clarity that comes with drinking some kava even if it's a cup of instant in the afternoon before I shake up some medium grind later.