What's new

Why don't we knead micro?

jRob2k

From what I understand Kava needs to be kneaded to release the kavalactones, then stained because the pulp/makas can cause nausea. Since instant is (in most cases) made from dried root juice or a potent Kava drink you need only mix it in water and your good to go.

Why, then is kneading not required for micronized Kava? It's only finely ground Kava with some/all of the makas removed. Does the process of micronizing release the needed kavalactones?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
From what I understand Kava needs to be kneaded to release the kavalactones, then stained because the pulp/makas can cause nausea. Since instant is (in most cases) made from dried root juice or a potent Kava drink you need only mix it in water and your good to go.

Why, then is kneading not required for micronized Kava? It's only finely ground Kava with some/all of the makas removed. Does the process of micronizing release the needed kavalactones?
If you buy GHK Micro, he has a process that removes all the makas from his Micros, generally speaking the amount of makas from other vendors is minimal and therefore do not need straining.
Eventually you might want to consider regular grind or medium grind, which is both cheaper and easy to prep.

violet

Do all things with love
Stomach acid does a very good job of extracting lactones from root material once it hits the stomach. If you are not going to consume the root material, then you need to get the lactones out by kneading before you strain. Micronizing does not release the lactones, but does make it easier to consume the root material without straining so your digestion can do the extraction.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor

Just to let you know there I take out 100% of the makas, others will screen it and take out most of the makas, still others will grind up the makas and all into a find powder.
Aloha.

Chris

jRob2k

Stomach acid does a very good job of extracting lactones from root material once it hits the stomach. If you are not going to consume the root material, then you need to get the lactones out by kneading before you strain. Micronizing does not release the lactones, but does make it easier to consume the root material without straining so your digestion can do the extraction.
That makes sense. Thank you.

Is consuming the root material safe for long term use or should I switch to traditional prep with medium grind?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

violet

Do all things with love
I wouldn't call it unsafe, per say, but some find that consuming root material on a regular basis makes it more likely to get dermopathy or dried skin. There's also the individual gut tolerance for how much root material one can ingest. I like having both no prep and regular grind root. Micro is good if I don't want much or for topping off a root session, but I prefer traditional prep for effects and full root sessions.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I wouldn't call it unsafe, per say, but some find that consuming root material on a regular basis makes it more likely to get dermopathy or dried skin. There's also the individual gut tolerance for how much root material one can ingest. I like having both no prep and regular grind root. Micro is good if I don't want much or for topping off a root session, but I prefer traditional prep for effects and full root sessions.
I think micro toss'n wash and your gut is the most efficient extraction method. But one of the downsidew I realized is that you also consume all the nutrients of the powder. This could mean excessive carbs, calories, starch, and other unwanted nutrients. The problem though is I don't have any conclusive information about exactly what nutrients are present to whether to worry about it or not.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think micro toss'n wash and your gut is the most efficient extraction method. But one of the downsidew I realized is that you also consume all the nutrients of the powder. This could mean excessive carbs, calories, starch, and other unwanted nutrients. The problem though is I don't have any conclusive information about exactly what nutrients are present to whether to worry about it or not.
there's a small amount of starch in kava. could be a problem if you are trying to maintain ketosis, otherwise it shouldn't really matter from a dietary perspective. the GI side effects on the other hand are definitely real.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
starch.png

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
assuming the % is a percentage of weight, if you consumed 25 grams of kava root straight up, that would be about 12 grams of net carbs. assuming the ratios are the same for micronized (probably not, but whatever).