What's new

Worst tasting kava I've ever had!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've had some kava from Kava Time in the post today. I tried the "Gourmet Savusavu". Oof it tastes bad. The effects are fine, quite a bit too heady for me but the taste is bad! There's a very slight hint of that Fijian chocolatyness but that's seriously masked by a peppery weirdness like nothing else I've tasted. Seriously, I'd rather chug a strong shell of a strong tasting Vanuatu kava! It's quite relaxing if, as I say, too heady for me. I'm bizarrely enjoying it. I might not rush back to it but I needed a break from the heavies tonight ;-)

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I've had some kava from Kava Time in the post today. I tried the "Gourmet Savusavu". Oof it tastes bad. The effects are fine, quite a bit too heady for me but the taste is bad! There's a very slight hint of that Fijian chocolatyness but that's seriously masked by a peppery weirdness like nothing else I've tasted. Seriously, I'd rather chug a strong shell of a strong tasting Vanuatu kava! It's quite relaxing if, as I say, too heady for me. I'm bizarrely enjoying it. I might not rush back to it but I needed a break from the heavies tonight ;-)
Last night I had some Kona Kava Instant ( Banana / Vanilla ) and it was the worst tasting Kava I have ever had, though I mixed it with a spoon and I suspect it will taste better when blended. We should start a poll to nominate the world worst tasting Kava !

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Last night I had some Kona Kava Instant ( Banana / Vanilla ) and it was the worst tasting Kava I have ever had, though I mixed it with a spoon and I suspect it will taste better when blended. We should start a poll to nominate the world worst tasting Kava !
I've not tried that one. I usually tolerate the taste of kava quite well but this one had me grimacing! :)
Nice kava though, nice feeling.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I don't think it tastes bad, just really strong and has a distinctive peppery weirdness like nothing else I've tasted. Oh wait, that's what you said. Yeah, that flavour takes a bit of getting used to. Great kava, for when you need a strong heavy painkiller. Works like a charm.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
as always, Squanch is in a separate category, all by itself. Remember, "Just because it tastes like New Jersey doesn't mean it's bad."

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
as always, Squanch is in a separate category, all by itself. Remember, "Just because it tastes like New Jersey doesn't mean it's bad."
Do you know I've not tried any squanch kava yet. I shied away from heady Fijians for quite a while as they just weren't my bag. I might just have to try a bag of each for reviewing purposes.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Do you know I've not tried any squanch kava yet. I shied away from heady Fijians for quite a while as they just weren't my bag. I might just have to try a bag of each for reviewing purposes.
yeah, it's not totally up your alley. Very balanced, very strong, great euphoria. Wonderful mixed with good Tongans.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
Only on a few rare occasions have I had a kava (Squanch being one) where I take a drink and immediately and without intentional effort start saying nonsensical things under my breath just because the taste is so unbearably strong. IMHO, super strong taste usually equates with super strong effects. The nonsensical words I utter have included...and I quote, "...nicknick, nicknick, etc." "Blechaaaa, blechaaa." and "guhaaa, guhaa." Also I sometimes find myself smacking my tongue on my bottom teeth as I do this, much like Johnny Depp does in Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas when he tries the adrenochrome stuff. Good times.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
From the current batch of Squanch Waka, I feel no heaviness at all. I think it's the closest in effects to the Savu but I enjoyed the Savu more. I like that strong heady buzz but I need to mix it with something heavy to really enjoy it. I think it would blend well with the PNG, actually.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
You should totally start a poll! It would be fun. I ordered a bag of Mood and Mind while waiting for my Squanch shipment and good lord I forgot how terrible that one tastes! I started out drinking kava with the crappy Mood and Mind brand last year and only in the last several months switched to Squanch with the price hikes. But boy oh boy that stuff is nasty! Good effects but tastes so dirty and peppery.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, that's bizarre to me. So it tastes like normal kava, not spoiled or anything? I've had Savusavu a couple of times; including last Monday and never thought it tasted bad at all. Just a little smokey from the fire drying process. If I mix it strong, the taste is intense and a little smokey, but not bad really. Tastes better mixed a little weaker. On the other hand, I feel slightly sick to my stomach just from the smell of the few Vanuatu kava's I've tried; they're worth it, but it WAY easier for me to drink a lot of Fijian (including Savusau) taste-wise than it would be for me to drink something like Kava Supreme. I do agree, the headiness can be a bit overwhelming, depending on how its prepared.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Wow, that's bizarre to me. So it tastes like normal kava, not spoiled or anything? I've had Savusavu a couple of times; including last Monday and never thought it tasted bad at all. Just a little smokey from the fire drying process. If I mix it strong, the taste is intense and a little smokey, but not bad really. Tastes better mixed a little weaker. On the other hand, I feel slightly sick to my stomach just from the smell of the few Vanuatu kava's I've tried; they're worth it, but it WAY easier for me to drink a lot of Fijian (including Savusau) taste-wise than it would be for me to drink something like Kava Supreme. I do agree, the headiness can be a bit overwhelming, depending on how its prepared.
I think it's the Smokey flavor. They use a fire drier.
I didn't know about the fire drying. I didn't taste it as smokiness but it could well be!

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I didn't know about the fire drying. I didn't taste it as smokiness but it could well be!
What micron bag do you use to prep kava? I have noticed that if you injest alot of the larger particles it makes the taste quite bitter. We had that issue when we were experimenting with making flavored kavas.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Only on a few rare occasions have I had a kava (Squanch being one) where I take a drink and immediately and without intentional effort start saying nonsensical things under my breath just because the taste is so unbearably strong. IMHO, super strong taste usually equates with super strong effects. The nonsensical words I utter have included...and I quote, "...nicknick, nicknick, etc." "Blechaaaa, blechaaa." and "guhaaa, guhaa." Also I sometimes find myself smacking my tongue on my bottom teeth as I do this, much like Johnny Depp does in Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas when he tries the adrenochrome stuff. Good times.
It's normal.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
What micron bag do you use to prep kava? I have noticed that if you injest alot of the larger particles it makes the taste quite bitter. We had that issue when we were experimenting with making flavored kavas.
I think the one I have is 75. It is a lovely kava, just that taste :)

Redrider

Kava Curious
For me, in addition to these verbal tics, it is often accompanied by some sufi-whirling and country-stompin' and maybe a bit of hopping/skipping.
I would certainly pay money for a compilation of kava quaffing climaxes.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
For me, in addition to these verbal tics, it is often accompanied by some sufi-whirling and country-stompin' and maybe a bit of hopping/skipping.
I would certainly pay money for a compilation of kava quaffing climaxes.
Yes!! Grog dervishes and stuff. Instead of chanting "hare Krishna" it becomes "heavy kava, heavy kava".