What's new

yangonin what does it do?

kavatester

Kava Curious
i am intersted in hearing how people think yangonin content affects a kava chemotype?
does it sooth anxiety?
does it induce anxiety?
does it cancel out any other kavalactone effects?
does yangonin play any role in reverse tolerance, i/e will a high yangonin strain get you through rt faster or slower?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I'll second that. Yangonin can be a little too much for me. The kava that has really high Yangonin mostly gives me this nervous not sure what to do with myself pacing unsettled feeling. Mo'i is pretty high I think, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, it's right on the edge between giddy and nervous.

It doesn't soothe anxiety, in my experience.
It DOES induce some mild anxiety. I think that's starting to become clear.
As for whether it interacts with other Kavalactones, I don't know. I believe it's responsible in part (along with Kavain) for the heady effects of the heady kava strains.

As for reverse tolerance, I don't know. It seems based on what people have reported on here and my own experience that when overcoming RT, you often feel the body effects of kava before you feel any of the heady effects. That might suggest that additional Kavain/Yangonin WOULD be good for shortening RT?

Given how complex neurochemistry is, it's most probably a completely different story.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
after seeing that the BKH 11 year waka is relatively high in yangoin in another thread, i would, based on my admittedly limited experience, have to agree that it could indeed be responsible for some of the anxiety that can come along with drinking certain kavas. i had one shell of the 11 year waka at the BKH in portland and, as Steve mentioned, i found myself pacing the floor, running my hands through my hair, and generally being uncomfortable and anxious. fast forward 30 minutes and i felt f*cking grrrrreat and continued to feel that way for the rest of the evening. that was the only time i've ever had that feeling after consuming kava and seeing y'all's take on yangoin today made that make a lot more sense to me

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
And that's true, it's short lived. So maybe yangonin is fast-burning and leaves the mellower lactones behind.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Anything that takes me far away from baseline in a abruptly short amount of time, gives me the willies. Every single time I feel kava within 3-5 minutes of consumption I go uh-oh, and I think kavain and yangonin are the culprits. Once it levels out after 20-30 minutes, I enjoy the effects. The best way I describe the feeling is wanting to stretch out and curl up in a ball at the same time. My solution to this phenomenon is multiple smaller shells versus fewer larger shells. Too much in a short amount of time brings out all of the negatives for me.