What's new

You can drink this kava in 4 years

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I wanted to post this pictures of some of the baby kava plants that will be going into the ground real soon. They will be ready to drink in 4 years or more. I have here 125 baby 'Awa plants that will be planted in the up coming week. This is a never ending process, I harvest a kava plant, I use the stalks to make 200 baby kava plants or more, I let the baby's grow till they are big enough to go into the ground, I plant them in the ground, in 4 years or more I harvest and start all over again. With each kava plant I harvest the kava farm grows exponentially. I hope you all enjoy the pictures. Aloha.

Chris
1115181037b.jpg

This next picture is where I will be planting the 125 baby kava plants.
kava pictures 11-11 087.JPG

Here is some more baby kava plants in the green house, soon to be ready to go into the ground.
kava pictures 11-11 134.JPG
kava pictures 11-11 133.JPG

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
What's the mortality rate on these? I'm sure you take great care of these cuttings but surely the grim reaper sends a curve ball that you can't always catch?
That is a good question, since I do take good care of them the rate is low, maybe about 2 or 3 per 100 plants. If I did not take care of them or if I planted them in the wrong way then the rate would go up a lot. Some things that stunt the growth or that eventually kill the kava is, do not plant kava next to Ohia trees and other trees too, some you can other trees like eucalyptus you do not want to plant kava around these. These trees will send out a bunch or small roots that will eventually choke out the kava roots. Also you want good drainage or you will get root rot and this will kill the kava plant. I keep the Honohono grass away from the kava because it is a vector for the CMV virus and this also kills the kava. There are a bunch of other things but this gives you an idea.
Aloha.

Chris

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
That is a good question, since I do take good care of them the rate is low, maybe about 2 or 3 per 100 plants. If I did not take care of them or if I planted them in the wrong way then the rate would go up a lot. Some things that stunt the growth or that eventually kill the kava is, do not plant kava next to Ohia trees and other trees too, some you can other trees like eucalyptus you do not want to plant kava around these. These trees will send out a bunch or small roots that will eventually choke out the kava roots. Also you want good drainage or you will get root rot and this will kill the kava plant. I keep the Honohono grass away from the kava because it is a vector for the CMV virus and this also kills the kava. There are a bunch of other things but this gives you an idea.
Aloha.

Chris
This is fascinating! I had no idea plants could get CMV. Thanks so much for your pictures and info. Love learning new things about kava.