What's new

You ever feel like you don't need kava today?

D

Deleted User01

I had a big dose of kava on Monday (Papa Kea) and a decent dose on Tuesday (Moi). Today I can still feel some of the mellow effects. This is the residual effect that @Kapmkrunk and others talk about. So I think I'm going through some kind of evolution. This afternoon I will not feel like doing kava nor will I fell like doing a beer or wine. It will be a good day to go without any intoxicants. Of course I exercised this morning and I may go swimming this afternoon and they will help with any sleep issues.

Before I started on kava, every day was a good day for beer, wine, or perhaps a scotch on the rocks. I never felt like the booze from the day before made me mellow the next day. So Kava is a very interesting botanical that not only makes you mellow, but it also plants a seed in your brain that helps you deal with addictive behavior. That little seed is almost like a voice in your brain that says, "Do you really need anything today? Have I not mellowed you out enough so that you can skip a day?" To this I answer, "Well, now that you put it that way, you may be right." So I go drug-less for a day or even two and guess what?? .... nothing bad happens to me. :LOL:

I know, I know, this is crazy talk ...:eek: Let me add one more thing. After 1 or 2 days of abstinence, the seed in my brain demands kava and NOWWWWWW! Hey, I'm not perfect. That's why I'm a member of the kava forums. :D

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
This is the first substance I've ever taken where I 'forget' to take it... or don't feel like I need it until later in the day. All other substances I've taken, after a week or 2... I would be taking them all-day long, morning, noon & night. Of course I've only been taking the candy so far... I'll let you know if that changes once I've tried the micronized moi :)

p.s.
If i take a whole pack of candy late at night, when I wake up in the morning, I definitely still feel its effects for another few hours.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Mhm. Before this week I randomly took 4 days off of kava. I actually do that a lot. I'll take 2-5 days off and then 5-7 days on usually. Seems to work well because I hit a wall after drinking it for several days in a row. There are some times when I plan to skip kava but my anxiety says not today... It also seems with kava once you take a day or two off the feeling of wanting to take it subsides. It seems my several day sprees treat my anxiety all the way through my breaks even...?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Mhm. Before this week I randomly took 4 days off of kava. I actually do that a lot. I'll take 2-5 days off and then 5-7 days on usually. Seems to work well because I hit a wall after drinking it for several days in a row. There are some times when I plan to skip kava but my anxiety says not today... It also seems with kava once you take a day or two off the feeling of wanting to take it subsides. It seems my several day sprees treat my anxiety all the way through my breaks even...?
Yeah, exactly. If you take a few days off, outside of the routine, there's no pull to drink it again. It's pretty rad that way. And your point about the anxiety relief buildup is spot-on. It lasts longer than just into the next day. Though the halflife of the stuff in your system has been clocked at around 24 hours, the residual anxiolytic effects continue beyond that. Perhaps it's mood inertia.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I think so too, this is how anxiety or depression cycles work for me. One or two days of conquering is worth at least 3 days of peace. Check out the psychology lliterature on positive and negative spirals.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I find that my nightly Kava ritual really helps me throughout the next day. It's definitely something I need every day, regardless of what's coming up. Gotta keep it in the system.

stonedape

Wow, so daily use is ok then I assume?...I am a recent kava explorer and it's worked wonders for my anxiety but the liver thing has me worried and scared into quitting. With my anxiety disorder this has me fearful but kava helps me live a normal life again I would need it daily thoe multiple times.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, so daily use is ok then I assume?...I am a recent kava explorer and it's worked wonders for my anxiety but the liver thing has me worried and scared into quitting. With my anxiety disorder this has me fearful but kava helps me live a normal life again I would need it daily thoe multiple times.
Yep, daily use is fine. I've been using it nearly every day for about a year now with no issues other than crossed eyes from one too many shells :)

I also use it for anxiety, and I drink it only at night because it stays in your system for about a day after drinking it. I'll do 2-4 shells depending on the strength of the root. It makes a huge difference during the next day and I definitely feel it when I don't have it the night before.

4bikes

If you experience that continued, calm, sense of well-being the next day (best I can describe it), what types of root are you using? I encountered a bit of that extended effect with a ½ lb of KWK borogu and have been chasing the effect a little bit with a couple of other types...but I have come up empty. I prefer to stick to an every other day schedule, so having that mild, extended sense of calm for a day without use could be key. Or, if you don't think it is the type of root, do you have other ideas about what might promote that effect (preparation method, quantity, timing, etc.)? Thanks!

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Hi 4bikes,
I've never had much of a next day effect from Borogu. I suffer from anxiety issues as well and have found Borogu, when consumed daily, gets me agitated after awhile. I've tried plenty of different types of kava from all over the world, and I must say, the Hawaiian varieties from ParadiseKava or Gourmet Hawaiian Kava do the trick with the majority of their offerings. Moi is my favorite. They both sell instant powder, which is a great way to consume kava when you are in a hurry and can't mix a batch. Highly recommend ParadiseKava instant for sure. Gourmelt Hawaiin Kava has great processing techniques and offers a great selection of instant, micronized, and regular grinds. I've had them all and I have to say, they absolutely don't dissappoint. I really like Micronized Moi and Mahakea for next day lasting effects.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
If you experience that continued, calm, sense of well-being the next day (best I can describe it), what types of root are you using? I encountered a bit of that extended effect with a ½ lb of KWK borogu and have been chasing the effect a little bit with a couple of other types...but I have come up empty. I prefer to stick to an every other day schedule, so having that mild, extended sense of calm for a day without use could be key. Or, if you don't think it is the type of root, do you have other ideas about what might promote that effect (preparation method, quantity, timing, etc.)? Thanks!
KWK Fiji Loa Waka. There's seriously no better root. Great immediate effects, great calming the next day.

4bikes

Thanks for the suggestion about Loa Waka. I ordered a lb of root from them the day before they put that on the website...bad timing. I'll get through what I have on hand and look into trying it. Thanks!

exit stage left
I've finally hit the point where I don't feel like I need it the next day. Maybe my session yesterday was heavier than it needed to be, but I don't work until 4 and don't really feel like having some morning kava, even though my lunch plans have evaporated. Tonight when I get off work, we'll see. I might try and take the whole day off of kava, for some reason kava doesn't help me sleep, if anything it gives me the same kind of interrupted sleep that alcohol gave me. So since I work my new job tomorrow, a good night's sleep is needed.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I drink most evenings around 6-10pm, and if I have more than I really needed (I always feel obliged to finish the bowl even if my internal kava-meter tells me I don't need to), the next morning I will feel like having an evening off, as I really don't feel like more kava.
But inevitably by 4pm that feeling has gone and after I get home, when the sun is almost gone, I mix up a bowl again.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I took yesterday off, the first time in about three months. I had to call off work due to a nasty sinus-induced migraine and didn't want to make myself even more tired then I already was, plus I really whooped it up with Kava on Sunday and was still feeling it during the migraine. I slept like crap though last night, maybe from sleeping the day away from the migraine but I was feeling my nerves coming back in the evening, like I needed my kava. Popped a kava candy in the morning but now I can't wait to get home make a batch of Pouni/Borongoru mix. I think I will stay on at least a little each day anymore for the anti-anxiety effects.

D

Deleted User01

That is what I noticed. When I go without kava for a few days, then I really crave and enjoy it the next day. It doesn't even taste that bad. You know the old saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder". I tell ya what, I think certain kavas would make the migraine worse so you did the right thing. Even Xanax would give me a headachy feeling at times.