What's new

You have dermo now what? (Dry, flaky, peeling skin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
All of us will experience dermo at some point or another, specially the daily drinkers. You don't always need to drink kava everyday to get dermo. If you like heavier strains or do Toss and wash, it will likely happen sooner or later as well. The #1 recommended treatment around here is a product called Amlactin, it comes in four different varieties. As long as they contain Alpha-Hydroxy, you are good. In the case of Amlactin, all four have that ingredient. The one that was recommended to me was the one with the blue top, the other 2 work fine as well, as they have that important ingredient. The fourth one is advertised for rough or dry feet, it also contains Alpha-Hydroxy. I have always used the one with the blue top, because it worked fine the first time and I just stuck with it.
Amlactin is really easy to find and buy, most local pharmacies in the US sell them and it can also be found on Amazon. The price depends where it is shipping to and where you are buying it. If you live outside the US, it is probably best to get a 3-4 pack deal to save on shipping. The average price is around $17-$25 dollars (depending where you buy it). It is worth every penny, it is the only known treatment (aside from cutting back or stopping kava for a while, about 30 days). Amlactin is good for most of the body and many (including myself) have noted that applying it every other day is usually sufficient (2 times a day if it is really bad). The best time to apply it is when you step out of the shower.
Certain areas of the body are too sensitive for Amlactin, most notably the skin around the eyes and face for people with sensitive skin. Through some personal research, I have found that an even coat of Vaseline around the eyes, helps retain the moisture and it alleviates the itching. If Some gets inside your eyes, there no need to panic, you can dab it off or rinse it. Your vision may get a little blurry but it is temporary.
There are other remedies that work as well according to other members. Hopefully they will share their tips below.
More information on Amlactin can be found here;
http://amlactin.com/
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-dermopathy.25/

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Since I have been taking coconut oil capsules I have had no dermo at all even drinking the same amount and the same strains. When I ran out for a week or so due to a shipment error my skin dried right out. As soon as I started taking them again it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.