What's new

Extract color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I've gotten a couple nice batches of co2 extract with really nice yields. I'll have some test results back in a couple weeks that will show me chemotype and total kavalactone %. I've only used 100% noble kava for the extracts and they come out a bright yellow. Every co2 extract I've seen is this same brilliant yellow color. It made me wonder if a kava that normally turns acetone orange would give a different color co2 extract. It's almost like making an acetone based extract when people mix acetone with kava so it would be interesting to know if all extract color is based on the kava being used.

Any thoughts? Anybody want to send me a hardcore tudei or something that turns acetone a dark orange for a test? I only have access to Isa, which does result in an orange color when mixed with acetone, but it's less deep than some of the others I've seen.
20160405_171834.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Just received some HPLC results for all of our kava for sale and I threw in a sample of a Co2 extract of Borogu as well since that is the likely kava we will use for our upcoming bottled kava. The chemotype does come out pretty close but there were some discrepancies that could be more than just general testing variance. It looks as though the extraction process extracts kavain slightly more efficiently than the other kavalactones. This is especially true for Yangonin, which is the third most prevalent kavalactone in the dry root tested, but was the fourth most prevalent in the extract. Of course this does technically change the chemotype, but the variance is small enough that the effect likely wouldn't be drastically different from one to the other.

Just thought that was interesting.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Just received some HPLC results for all of our kava for sale and I threw in a sample of a Co2 extract of Borogu as well since that is the likely kava we will use for our upcoming bottled kava. The chemotype does come out pretty close but there were some discrepancies that could be more than just general testing variance. It looks as though the extraction process extracts kavain slightly more efficiently than the other kavalactones. This is especially true for Yangonin, which is the third most prevalent kavalactone in the dry root tested, but was the fourth most prevalent in the extract. Of course this does technically change the chemotype, but the variance is small enough that the effect likely wouldn't be drastically different from one to the other.

Just thought that was interesting.
According to @Kalm with Kava you can actually alter the chemotype by changing the temperature of the CO2 extractor.

I would also be curious to see flavokavain measurements of CO2 extract. I wonder if FKs are relatively enhanced, or reduced by the process.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
According to @Kalm with Kava you can actually alter the chemotype by changing the temperature of the CO2 extractor.

I would also be curious to see flavokavain measurements of CO2 extract. I wonder if FKs are relatively enhanced, or reduced by the process.
I have noticed you have quite a bit of knowledge in these topics, I'd love to pick your brain sometime in the subject, I am not currently in a financial position do pull off or acquire the necessary equipment, but when the time comes, I'd love your input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.