What's new

I Love Kava Friday Friday Poll: What is Kava?

What is Kava?

• A Tree

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A Shrub

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • A Mammal

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • A Reptile

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • A Virus

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

verticity

I'm interested in things
There is a brand of coffee called Kava. Why they picked that name I'll never know -- it's a bit confusing.
In the Slovak language the word "kava" means "coffee". One time a Slovak guy, writing in Slovakian, came on the KF Facebook page asking where to get the best "kava". I chatted with him for a while in Slovakian trying to ascertain if he actually understood what "kava" means in English. I don't know Slovakian, but Google translate is not too bad...

D

Deleted User01

After Headgies post, I got nuthin'. :( Nice one @HeadHodge. (y) My formal definition would be a Powerful Plant Based Botanical used by South Pacific Islanders for 1000s of years that provides both calming effects and sleep enhancement. Now, any definition that includes its many uses would be pure speculation because not everybody responds to it in the same way. Man, all this kava talk has got me jonesing for my Friday Dose. Patience Grasshopper, patience ....

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I read this on Wikipedia;
Dried root contains approximately 43% starch, 20% dietary fiber, 15% kavalactones,[18] 12% water, 3.2% sugars, 3.6% protein, and 3.2% minerals. Might explain some appetite suppression. Not sure how accurate it is.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I read this on Wikipedia;
Dried root contains approximately 43% starch, 20% dietary fiber, 15% kavalactones,[18] 12% water, 3.2% sugars, 3.6% protein, and 3.2% minerals. Might explain some appetite suppression. Not sure how accurate it is.
I think the appetite suppression is actually a pharmacological/neurological effect of kavalactones. Kava does contains starch and stuff, but I don't think it would be very filling by itself, if you took the kavalactones out. Let's say you drink a serving of 16 grams. 43% of the root is starch, but not all of the starch is going to make it into the grog. So let's guesstimate that half the starch, sugar and protein are extracted from the powder. That's 3 grams of starch + 0.25 grams of sugar + 0.25 grams of protein.
There are 4 calories in a gram of carbohydrate (starch, sugar) or protein, so one serving of kava contains roughly 14 calories... If you toss and wash you get 28 calories, still not much...

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Also, cava is the name of a Spanish wine. Basically it probably would have been better for search purposes if another language's term had become the preferred one for kava, but it's too late now, we'll all just have to deal with smug health store employees correcting us and saying "do you mean KAVA-KAVA TEA"

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Also, cava is the name of a Spanish wine. Basically it probably would have been better for search purposes if another language's term had become the preferred one for kava, but it's too late now, we'll all just have to deal with smug health store employees correcting us and saying "do you mean KAVA-KAVA TEA"
Cava is actually a sparkling wine from Spain, unlike the sparkling wines from the Champagne region of France.