What's new

Kava Physiology A Nobel question...

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
Ok, I have a question about the kava I am drinking now. I think this is the place to post it.
I drink the instant kava from Kava King, and I like it a lot.
Kava King are the only ones that are available here in Sweden. Nakamal at home doesn't export to Sweden anymore!
The blend I drink is the Vanuatu blend and I drink it a lot, but they sell 100% lateral root also.
My question is: is the Vanuatu blend harmful? I have been drinking kava for quite a while but never thought about it being harmful. Now I heard that all kava that isn't lateral or waka is harmful and not nobel.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Most likely not. The non-Noble scare is a whole lot of blowing smoke. You won't get sick, you'll feel fine, nothing bad will happen to you.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Im pretty sure kava king is noble. Technically, if your kava isn't waka or lawena then its not root AFAIK. Waka and Lawena are terms used in fiji and thus you wont see them used for other regional kavas. Waka means lateral root, and Lawena means root stump. Both are considered desirable, though lateral roots (waka) tend to be a bit stronger. if you are drinking the 100% lateral root kava then that is waka. I believe tudei consists of lawena and waka as well, so the terms are kind of irrelevant.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
While tudei may not cause injury, it for sure can make you sick. I don't necessarily think kava king has any issues with being a fully tudei kava. They do use an anti-caking agent, but it's about as common as bread flour.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So Kava Kings 100% lateral is nobel and the blend is tudei then, maybe?
Well, we honestly don't know. It would require someone to test the plant material with acetone or send it to a lab. Tudei kavas tend to cause people to come here and post a negative experience. We haven't had anyone post such experiences here about that kava. I've consumed it myself and was fine with it.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
While tudei may not cause injury, it for sure can make you sick. I don't necessarily think kava king has any issues with being a fully tudei kava. They do use an anti-caking agent, but it's about as common as bread flour.
How will the tudei make me sick? I was really enjoying this kava and just finished a 1/2 lb bag and ordered two more. I like the 100% lateral also, but the blend is cheaper.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
How will the tudei make me sick? I was really enjoying this kava and just finished a 1/2 lb bag and ordered two more. I like the 100% lateral also, but the blend is cheaper.
It would make you feel very sick to your stomach. Your skin split and bleed (edit: over time), and cause you to just feel generally awful the next day.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
Well, we honestly don't know. It would require someone to test the plant material with acetone or send it to a lab. Tudei kavas tend to cause people to come here and post a negative experience. We haven't had anyone post such experiences here about that kava. I've consumed it myself and was fine with it.
I haven't had any bad experiences at all with it myself. So I hope it's fine then! If I do get sick in some way I will report it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I haven't had any bad experiences at all with it myself. So I hope it's fine then! If I do get sick in some way I will report it.
I think you'll be fine too. I got my start with powdered kava with kava king back in 2006-2007.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I've had the vanuatu blend before and I bought some for my girlfriend a month ago and shes had it 6 or 7 times and likes it. I had no side effects. I really do not think it's tudei, and if it has tudei mixed in, it would have to be a very small amount. Your best bet for getting a definitive answer is to email them and ask if they can verify that the kava is noble. Share the response here if you get one. I wouldn't worry about it in the meantime.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I've had the vanuatu blend before and I bought some for my girlfriend a month ago and shes had it 6 or 7 times and likes it. I had no side effects. I really do not think it's tudei, and if it has tudei mixed in, it would have to be a very small amount. Your best bet for getting a definitive answer is to email them and ask if they can verify that the kava is noble. Share the response here if you get one. I wouldn't worry about it in the meantime.
I will do that! Thank you!

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Some of the confusion has been caused by people using scare tactics to influence peoples buying decisions. The newbies get scared when there are warnings all over the place about certain kava. This being one of those cases.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Where are the guidelines for posters now?
Let's take it easy here. I've sent him a message, just like I would to you.

We're going to be fair, that I assure you. By the way I also didn't take too kindly to that blowing smoke comment, as you know what we went through to get where we are. You were part of that, don't forget, with the whole going back and forth.

Edit: It was a confusing time, but we weren't blowing smoke.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Verticity claims that the kava has been tested noble on a thread from a while ago..
What thread? I don't remember that. If I did say that it might have been based on an old test by @Deleted User. As of now I don't know of any specific information about whether Kava King's current offerings are noble or not. (Other than an absence of people complaining about side effects...)

But that is a separate issue from what the OP is saying about lateral roots: There are two types of kava roots: the lateral roots (in Fiji called the 'waka'), and the stump (called the 'lawena' in Fiji). Neither of them is harmful. Most kava is a mixture of waka and lawena. Usually only Fijian kava is separated into waka and lawena and labeled as such. Both are safe. The waka tends to be stronger and the lawena is milder.

What is not safe is if there are above ground parts such as stems or leaves mixed in. These can be detected by measuring the chlorophyll content of the kava. Above ground parts contain toxic alkaloids and should not be drunk. This issue is completely separate from the noble/tudei issue. Adulteration with aerial parts not common, but does happen sometimes. And, again, I have no specific information either way about the chlorophyll content of Kava King.

Last edited: