What's new

Aluball and the mongrel grog

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
One of my favourite kavas now is made possible by the Aluball, although you don't make it with the Aluball.

There are many nifty uses and strategies that the Aluball makes possible. For one thing, if like me, you knead up large batches of grog at a time, using a cup or more of grind, you often end up with dribs and drabs left over in the bag, and there's always the question of what to do. A TBS or two here or then in an Aluball of course makes a nice little single serve for when that's all you want or need. Or you can do a variety in a row or odd one-off blends, an around the islands sampler for a sesh, which is even nicer than it sounds.

But what I really really like is that freezer grog, the mongrel grog. When you're just doing one or two servings from the Aluball and you dump the makas in a container in the freezer, like an 8 oz little container. And then when it's full, you thaw it out and stick it in a bag with anywhere from 2 to 3 cups of water and knead it all up. It could be anything, several different grinds from all over the Pacific. And yet, it always tastes great, thick and rich and satisfying, if anything an even better wash than those first washes were, although they do usually have that nice fresh headiness of a first wash, while the mongrel grog has a deeper vibe.

And of course, each one is slightly different, and usually irrepeatable, unless you are anal retentive and remember exactly what went into each mongrel grog.

I think what I like is that the taste balances everything out to a really nice generic grog flavour, the micronised stuff went in the first wash so you have this really even balanced grog and finally, you get probably a broader spectrum of kavalactones, so there is a sort of otherworldly quality to it, hitting all the notes in the orchestra.

Anyway, it's just something new and special, to me, anyway, and I've been enjoying it once or twice a week. Makes for a nice little sesh, very special, even something you can really look forward to. Kind of thing maybe to make a mid-week sesh a little special event.

PS @Ibbygirl would pre-approve this message if she knew.

schatz

itchin for kava
Love my balls, just had to order another to replace my backup as it seems a hole appeared after a whole year of abuse. I think I got my money's worth out of it though. Will have to try the used makas trick, have just been throwing them on the grass probably with a little life still left in em, come to think of it, the dogs have been looking pretty happy the last coupke years. Cheers , sporting my Damu and Borogu blend this evening.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Part of me wants to try it, another more irrational part of me would be wigging out about some kind of moisture-loving bacteria surviving in the freezer for all that time...

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Y'all are more patient than me! I don't thaw my makas out. I keep them in ziplock bags in the door of my freezer and just break them up on the counter and throw chunks into the blender with a small amount of water and then blend it up for a minute or two making like a maka smoothie! :) Then I just dump the whole blenderful into my kavafied strainer in a bowl and add some hot water and knead it for a spell. Then I shell it up and enjoy!

Oh and @Travis most of my makas are from traditional prep that have only been through a first wash. I use a lot of makas, but it makes a nice light daytimey type Frankegrog. Bula! :) ::shell::

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I'm jealous you ever had that many friends to drink kava with ! @Kavafied
sometimes you just have to mix a bucket up and get whoever's around you to join....strangers, friends, coworkers lol. Eventually they'll come it's the intangible power of kava. I've showed up to a lot of random places with this bucket full of kava in the past....frat parties, meetings, concerts, airplanes, tour buses, locker rooms...pretty much anywhere and have met a lot random new people doing so

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
sometimes you just have to mix a bucket up and get whoever's around you to join....strangers, friends, coworkers lol. Eventually they'll come it's the intangible power of kava. I've showed up to a lot of random places with this bucket full of kava in the past....frat parties, meetings, concerts, airplanes, tour buses, locker rooms...pretty much anywhere and have met a lot random new people doing so
Wow! That's amazing!