What's new

I love Squanch. Just a question about the grind.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Like I said, I love Squanch. Grear quality and consistent. I'm just curious to know more about a unique quality. So, just an observation and a question.
I noticed when comparing Squanch Medium Grind to other Medium Grind kavas, that Squanch seems much more coarse than other Medium Grinds.
I just want to know more about that, in general.
Like, is that intentional, and how it happens, and how does it change the results you get from the kava, etc.\

Thanks

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Bags of whole root are left at the edge of the woods, in the night, and unseen by humans, the samsquanch emerges to chew the root. It's molars are quite large and can only produce a fairly coarse grind. This is the story of Squanch Medium Grind.

On the real though...the grind size depends on the milling technique and tools available to the grinder. In fiji, if the kava doesn't get ground by someone with a ball mill or some other machine grinder the roots will just get manually ground by bashing it with a log or a metal pole. Different techniques and durations will make different grinds. The finer you grind up every piece of fiber, the more fine particulates will likely end up in your beverage...more fine particulates means and increased likelihood of some stomach discomfort (especially at higher doses) and also an increase of overall potency to some degree.

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
That's interesting, if I understand correctly.
That a finer grind is more potent - but yet Squanch and it's coarse grind, I find to be more potent than a lot of other Medium Grinds.
So if I grind Squanch further, it will become even more potent, eh

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yeah, finer grind should be more potent...but only relative to itself. So a super fine squanch will be ‘some degree’ more potent than a super coarse squanch.

Relating it to other kavas would have other variables. And personal subjective experiences to different kavas changes between people.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Squanch seems like a typical medium grind by 2019 standards. Medium grinds generally used to by WAY coarser just a few years ago.

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
I don't find the grind coarse at all. KWK borogu is coarse.
This. I was used to bula kava houses super fine grind and got some kwk borongoru and loa waka and they're super coarse. I wonder if it works as well in an aluball because of that, they seem a bit weaker, but I'm not sure if its reverse tolerance from never trying those kinds before

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I don't think those strains would go to well in an aluball. They are hard enough to get a strong second wash out using your hands. Great strains though.