What's new

A question for those who drink kava daily.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Without being too specific and getting into actual weights, what's your BMI?

Mine's 18. I'm under what I should be at 20, and I've always wondered if daily kava drinkers run up against this issue or if it's something I need to address personally.

Thank you!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I actually need to find my BMI out. I can say that overall there's a correlation (in my health) between drinking Kava and lower weight, more exercise, better sleep, and lower BP.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Without being too specific and getting into actual weights, what's your BMI?

Mine's 18. I'm under what I should be at 20, and I've always wondered if daily kava drinkers run up against this issue or if it's something I need to address personally.

Thank you!
BMI is 22. Has not changed significantly from my pre-kava days. When I was really working hard at eating better and training for a marathon I got it down to as low as 20. Also remember BMI is a poor metric if you are looking at anything other than weight (i.e. it does not take into account %of body fat vs. % muscle).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Not sure of my exact BMI but I think it's around 25. I carry a bit of muscle so that might explain a bit of it. I find that even though I'm only eating twice a day to fit my kava routine (priorities you know) I still get tempted by chocolate and other bad food so my "good" calorie consumption is lower but I make up for it with junk and hence my weight tends to stay the same or only go down very slowly.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
19.5, but I don't think kava has had much of an impact on it. I've always been on the skinnier side, but my weight has dropped a bit recently as I've transitioned toward the whole food plant based diet. I think kava definitely suppresses hunger for me, but when I do eat I don't eat less than I would otherwise. Kava just lets me prolong the time until dinner on nights that I drink it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I want to say something like "Kava keeps me skinny" but I'm thinking it's something else. Can't gain weight for anything. It's all good though. Through this last health issue I managed to finally find a primary care physician. We'll get to the bottom of it.

The reason I ask is I've had more than one person remark something to the tune of "Well it's probably that kava you drink every night that makes you so skinny". I'm not so sure.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
No, I don't think Kava by itself makes you skinny unless you are really swimming in the Tanoa. There are studies that talk about NakHeads being rail thin, but those guys are real shell warriors. For me, Kava knocked booze out of my diet and that alone probably brought me 20 lbs lower than my previously horrific health.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
No, I don't think Kava by itself makes you skinny unless you are really swimming in the Tanoa. There are studies that talk about NakHeads being rail thin, but those guys are real shell warriors. For me, Kava knocked booze out of my diet and that alone probably brought me 20 lbs lower than my previously horrific health.
you'n'me both. For me the timing of that probably saved my life.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
There's no way I even come close to that consumption level. I'd say people here probably drink more kava daily than I do. I just wanted to see if there was someone out there like me, a daily kava drinker that just can't gain weight. I'll continue checking off the possibilities. This is something I've been dealing with for years so it's not a new issue by any means. I can be thankful it isn't the opposite problem.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
I'm around 12, and trying to gain. Honestly I think Kava has kept me in an "intermittent fasting" state, due to not wanting to eat before shelling and dinner. So I'll eat lunch, not eat ANYTHING (no snacks, like I used to), then have a Kava session, wait a while, and eat dinner.

EDIT: Hit the wrong number. Just checked to verify on our home device.

Last edited: