What's new

An interview with Dr Lebot

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I got a chance to interview Dr Lebot this week. :)
I think many of you might find this interview interesting:

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
I got a chance to interview Dr Lebot this week. :)
I think many of you might find this interview interesting:
Thank-you so much for posting! Dr Lebot is of critical importance to the kava community.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you Henry. I learned about German and European part in Kava history, and got an idea of where the science and industry is headed.

As debateable as you may find this, I appreciate the taste and mouthfeel of Kava. I find the numbing and exotic flavor are part of the relaxing experience that keeps me drawing back to this plant.

Would it be fair, based on this article, to say that squeezing dry roots powder in water is traditional prep? Considering it is prepared fresh in the islands.

Bula

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Good read! Was this conducted through email, in person, phone...?
Looks like he's starting to be more suspicious of plant hygiene/contaminants (bacteria...fungal...etc) than even flavokavains, as it pertains to health and safety with kava.

I like that he deliberately avoids cultivars (Borogu) that make him dream too much, I do that too. That's also the closest thing to an addiction/withdrawal issue that I've personally found with kava. Stopping my regular nightly kava consumption suddenly can give me several intense, emotionally exhausting dreams that wake me up multiple times per night and leave me frazzled in the morning. That can have a negative impact on my mental health, especially since I've become more fragile from a couple major negative events in my life the last couple years. So it's easier just to resume kava drinking, than to risk a week or two of tortured sleep. (I'm not saying this would be the case for everyone, it wasn't even necessarily the case for me in the past)

He also points out that proper kava, by definition (at least from the Ni-Vanuatu perspective), is peeled fresh root, mixed with water...mixed strong. That's right in my lane right there, doesn't get better than that. I'm glad he mentioned the peeled part though, cuz it seems like that detail has been largely overlooked through the years. That's definitely a part of what makes kavasociety root so good. Too bad peeled root is typically seen as a "premium" product on the international market, when it should just be the standard.

Well @Henry he mentions liking Kelai, Palarasul, Melomelo and you got those already, looks like it might be time for you to take a trip to Tanna and source that Pia. :D
Where is "Visul" from, I don't remember that one. Sounds like he generally gravitates toward very heady or balanced/heady roots. I suspect his personal preference might make him a bit biased against heavier root, not just for his own usage, but also for what he recommends people should drink.

Glad you did this henry, I've always hoped to interview him someday too. Looks like Corona has taken away any chance of me traveling to Vanuatu this year though.

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
There are many good points made in this Interview. His comment--" The situation in the US is very fragile and official authorities (bureaucrats around the World prefer to follow their colleagues position rather than attempting to learn about the product, part of this attitude is led by laziness, part by arrogance because of their position). So, Westerners are very much hostile" .
This relates somewhat to, and it may be news to some that, the U.S. FDA has come out against passing the Codex alimentarius kava standards which would classify kava (rightly so) as a food/beverage. The FDA goes so far as to say- "The US position" might imply everyone here! All this despite counter arguments such as --
"The FDA's rules recognize historic use as relevant. A safe food determination* can be made for a substance used in food in the US before January 1,1958, based on common use in food. Pacific Islanders have consumed kava beverage on a daily basis for thousands of years. Kava is an integral part of all kava drinking cultures of Oceania. This includes the Samoan culture of the US territory of American Samoa, and the indigenous Hawaiian culture of the US state of Hawai`i. Kava, known as 'awa in Hawai`i and Ava in American Samoa, has been mixed with coconut water and/or plain water and consumed as a beverage well before earliest contact with Europeans in the 1700s. Beyond just contradicting the FDA’s own rules, this disregard for traditional use of kava as a food also invalidates and sidelines essential cultural practices of indigenous communities who reside within the jurisdiction overseen by the US FDA".
So I do agree also when he adds--
"If Pacific islanders expect that the markets will open, they are wrong. At the moment, they don’t have a good product. A dried kava root is not a product. They need to move to the next step: process kava and add value to it and produce attractive products".
The Codex could be a game-changer world-wide if they are ever adopted. The fact is they still may be even without FDA support. We may not know now (Covid-19) until 2021.
*true, there is GRAS (generally recognised as safe) and Codex, but they are all part of the same puzzle.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Great interview. I love the comparison with wines. Never thought of that, but its perfect.

I hope one day each Kava can have details and certifications on the package.

As a weekend wine enthusiast, I love learning about the varietals, microclimates, aging processes, etc.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
There are many good points made in this Interview. His comment--" The situation in the US is very fragile and official authorities (bureaucrats around the World prefer to follow their colleagues position rather than attempting to learn about the product, part of this attitude is led by laziness, part by arrogance because of their position). So, Westerners are very much hostile" .
This relates somewhat to, and it may be news to some that, the U.S. FDA has come out against passing the Codex alimentarius kava standards which would classify kava (rightly so) as a food/beverage. The FDA goes so far as to say- "The US position" might imply everyone here! All this despite counter arguments such as --
"The FDA's rules recognize historic use as relevant. A safe food determination* can be made for a substance used in food in the US before January 1,1958, based on common use in food. Pacific Islanders have consumed kava beverage on a daily basis for thousands of years. Kava is an integral part of all kava drinking cultures of Oceania. This includes the Samoan culture of the US territory of American Samoa, and the indigenous Hawaiian culture of the US state of Hawai`i. Kava, known as 'awa in Hawai`i and Ava in American Samoa, has been mixed with coconut water and/or plain water and consumed as a beverage well before earliest contact with Europeans in the 1700s. Beyond just contradicting the FDA’s own rules, this disregard for traditional use of kava as a food also invalidates and sidelines essential cultural practices of indigenous communities who reside within the jurisdiction overseen by the US FDA".
So I do agree also when he adds--
"If Pacific islanders expect that the markets will open, they are wrong. At the moment, they don’t have a good product. A dried kava root is not a product. They need to move to the next step: process kava and add value to it and produce attractive products".
The Codex could be a game-changer world-wide if they are ever adopted. The fact is they still may be even without FDA support. We may not know now (Covid-19) until 2021.
*true, there is GRAS (generally recognised as safe) and Codex, but they are all part of the same puzzle.

I am afraid that someone would make a mistake and put bad kava on the market so fda finds a reason to put restrictions on it.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Good read! Was this conducted through email, in person, phone...?
Looks like he's starting to be more suspicious of plant hygiene/contaminants (bacteria...fungal...etc) than even flavokavains, as it pertains to health and safety with kava.

I like that he deliberately avoids cultivars (Borogu) that make him dream too much, I do that too. That's also the closest thing to an addiction/withdrawal issue that I've personally found with kava. Stopping my regular nightly kava consumption suddenly can give me several intense, emotionally exhausting dreams that wake me up multiple times per night and leave me frazzled in the morning. That can have a negative impact on my mental health, especially since I've become more fragile from a couple major negative events in my life the last couple years. So it's easier just to resume kava drinking, than to risk a week or two of tortured sleep. (I'm not saying this would be the case for everyone, it wasn't even necessarily the case for me in the past)

He also points out that proper kava, by definition (at least from the Ni-Vanuatu perspective), is peeled fresh root, mixed with water...mixed strong. That's right in my lane right there, doesn't get better than that. I'm glad he mentioned the peeled part though, cuz it seems like that detail has been largely overlooked through the years. That's definitely a part of what makes kavasociety root so good. Too bad peeled root is typically seen as a "premium" product on the international market, when it should just be the standard.

Well @Henry he mentions liking Kelai, Palarasul, Melomelo and you got those already, looks like it might be time for you to take a trip to Tanna and source that Pia. :D
Where is "Visul" from, I don't remember that one. Sounds like he generally gravitates toward very heady or balanced/heady roots. I suspect his personal preference might make him a bit biased against heavier root, not just for his own usage, but also for what he recommends people should drink.

Glad you did this henry, I've always hoped to interview him someday too. Looks like Corona has taken away any chance of me traveling to Vanuatu this year though.

Re Lebot's cultivar preference. I think he might be a bit biased, but his bias is in line with the general direction in which the cultivar selection seems to have gone, at least in Vanuatu. One thing to note here is that Lebot consumes kava the Vanuatu way, i.e. after work, but not very late at night. Often (or usually) before his dinner/food. Most nakamals in Vanuatu are also generally not open till very late. Having a heady kava allows to maximise the bliss without necessarily interfering with the dinner or evening routine/chillout. Those who dirnk kava as nightcap, to lull themelves straight into sleep may not share exactly the same preference, because of their kava routine. A bit like those who drink decaffeinated coffee at night do so not because they might hate caffeine, but because they don't enjoy caffeine late at night. Also, the kavain/heady thing works best when kava is made strong and drunk quickly. Kavain hits fast and doesn't hang around for too long. Those who make 3 gallons of kava from 50 grams of powder and who enjoy drinking it for 5 hours might just fail to appreciate its effects and may instead find heavier kavas to be "stronger" as the accumulation of heavier kavalactones is more noticeable at this pace.

Lebot does mention some of the cultivars that we source, but it's actually the other way around. I made an effort to source them after reading about them in his books :) They are generally balanced or heady, though melo melo is a nice, slow-burning kava with some nice heaviness to it. I think Visul (which grows on Santo, I think, but is not too popular as it doesn't yield much kava) is even slightly heavier than melo, judging by the chemotyupe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Regarding a tradition of drinking kava beverage "...after work, but not very late at night", usually before evening meal . This is my personal preference and a general rule in "old Hawai'i" before alcohol gripped the populace and before traditional knowledge became hybrid. "...following a hard days toil...our kupuna often found comfort and restoration in a cup(s) of 'awa". I have never fully understood the allure of 5 hour sessions. That's just my view, no disrespect for those who do it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Re Lebot's cultivar preference. I think he might be a bit biased, but his bias is in line with the general direction in which the cultivar selection seems to have gone, at least in Vanuatu. One thing to note here is that Lebot consumes kava the Vanuatu way, i.e. after work, but not very late at night. Often (or usually) before his dinner/food. Most nakamals in Vanuatu are also generally not open till very late. Having a heady kava allows to maximise the bliss without necessarily interfering with the dinner or evening routine/chillout. Those who dirnk kava as nightcap, to lull themselves straight into sleep may not share exactly the same preference, because of their kava routine. A bit like those who drink decaffeinated coffee at night do so not because they might hate caffeine, but because they don't enjoy caffeine late at night. Also, the kavain/heady thing works best when kava is made strong and drunk quickly. Kavain hits fast and doesn't hang around for too long. Those who make 3 gallons of kava from 50 grams of powder and who enjoy drinking it for 5 hours might not just fail to appreciate its effects and may instead find heavier kavas to be "stronger" as the accumulation of heavier kavalactones is more noticeable at this pace.

Lebot does mention some of the cultivars that we source, but it's actually the other way around. I made an effort to source them after reading about them in his books :) They are generally balanced or heady, though melo melo is a nice, slow-burning kava with some nice heaviness to it. I think Visul (which grows on Santo, I think, but is not too popular as it doesn't yield much kava) is even slightly heavier than melo, judging by the chemotyupe.
Indeed, from his own words, it's sounds like he really appreciates the "On-and-gone" experience of a clean heady root. He wants a kava buzz to hit quick and hard and be over with relatively quickly, so he can be nearly sober by the time he eats and goes to bed. I don't relate to that at all, I do like that it is an option though, for particular circumstances. But for my needs, and probably for many others, kava is all about the duration of the anxiolytic and hypnotic properties through the entire evening and night...the heady "high" is a just an added perk. Admittedly, a desirable added perk, which has become increasingly difficult for me to achieve. It's clearly not my main objective, the heady buzz, but this is why I prefer balanced kava, so that I can ideally get the fun heady swirly buzz, but also maintain the longer lasting calming tranquil sedation for a longer period as well.

I wonder if my opinion would change though, if I had access to the best and strongest fresh nakamal kava every night. From the small amount of time I spent in Vanuatu, I seemed to be extremely pleased with almost every kava I had, since they hit me so much more clearly and distinctly...and the couple times I had heavier stuff there, it was almost a bit too much, even for me.

Here's a thought I've been toying with about the history of cultivar selection through the ages. It's pretty simple, or obvious perhaps, but I think it gets overlooked.
The overwhelming abundance of high kavain cultivars across the pacific is used as evidence that this is actually what most people prefer to drink. And I don't doubt that the majority of people who drink kava are more likely to favor kavain-rich cultivars over others. But here's my idea that I think gets overlooked on this topic; the selective cloning by humans, that leads to the cultivars that humans prefer, is still at the mercy of random genetic mutation and what ever it happens to offer us. Nature didn't necessarily offer mutations of all the possible chemotypes and then we chose Kavain, we likely chose Kavain over what other limited options were available to choose from. So, hypothetically, it could be possible that there is an even more desirable kavalactone line-up that for whatever reason, is just much less common to emerge as a mutation. People could only make the selections based off of what options nature happened to provide them with. Perhaps the physics/biology/chemistry/nature of Piper Methysticum favors certain mutations over others...maybe there is a physical hindrance that makes 126xxx vastly less likely to mutate into existence, and conversely, perhaps there is some natural pathway that makes 426xxx a lot more likely to mutate. Maybe 126xxx would be the most prized chemotype, but since it's so unlikely to exist due to some physical limitation, the opportunity for humans to select it becomes unavailable.
(I know the pacific elixir book probably had some chemotypes that started with 1 in it, but the accuracy of those old readings seem to be questionable when we look back on them now, in some cases at least)

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Indeed, from his own words, it's sounds like he really appreciates the "On-and-gone" experience of a clean heady root. He wants a kava buzz to hit quick and hard and be over with relatively quickly, so he can be nearly sober by the time he eats and goes to bed. I don't relate to that at all, I do like that's it is an option though, for particular circumstances. But for my needs, and probably for many others, kava is all about the duration of the anxiolytic and hypnotic properties through the entire evening and night...the heady "high" is a just an added perk. Admittedly, a desirable added perk, which has become increasingly difficult for me to achieve. It's clearly not my main objective, the heady buzz, but this is why I prefer balanced kava, so that I can ideally get the fun heady swirly buzz, but also maintain the longer lasting calming tranquil sedation for a longer period as well.

I wonder if my opinion would change though, if I had access to the best and strongest fresh nakamal kava every night. From the small amount of time I spent in Vanuatu, I seemed to be extremely pleased with almost every kava I had, since they hit me so much more clearly and distinctly...and the couple times I had heavier stuff there, it was almost a bit too much, even for me.

Here's a thought I've been toying with about the history of cultivar selection through the ages. It's pretty simple, or obvious perhaps, but I think it gets overlooked.
The overwhelming abundance of high kavain cultivars across the pacific is used as evidence that this is actually what most people prefer to drink. And I don't doubt that the majority of people who drink kava are more likely to favor kavain-rich cultivars over others. But here's my idea that I think gets overlooked on this topic; the selective cloning by humans, that leads to the cultivars that humans prefer, is still at the mercy of random genetic mutation and what ever it happens to offer us. Nature didn't necessarily offer mutations of all the possible chemotypes and then we chose Kavain, we likely chose Kavain over what other limited options were available to choose from. So, hypothetically, it could be possible that there is an even more desirable kavalactone line-up that for whatever reason, is just much less common to emerge as a mutation. People could only make the selections based off of what options nature happened to provide them with. Perhaps the physics/biology/chemistry/nature of Piper Methysticum favors certain mutations over others...maybe there is a physical hindrance that makes 126xxx vastly less likely to mutate into existence, and conversely, perhaps there is some natural pathway that makes 426xxx a lot more likely to mutate. Maybe 126xxx would be the most prized chemotype, but since it's so unlikely to exist due to some physical limitation, the opportunity for humans to select it becomes unavailable.
(I know the pacific elixir book probably had some chemotypes that started with 1 in it, but the accuracy of those old readings seem to be questionable when we look back on them now, in some cases at least)
Yes, but... .. All fascinating thoughts. We are looking back at 3,000 years of selection and it may also be that the "126xxx" 's were tried and not kept due to effect.
We may not really know if it is indeed "less common" because if the folks doing the selection back in the day did not like it, they did not keep it.
There is a theory about Hawaiian cultivars-- all high in kavain-- that the women did the selecting to make it more possible to deal with the men.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Yes, but... .. All fascinating thoughts. We are looking back at 3,000 years of selection and it may also be that the "126xxx" 's were tried and not kept due to effect.
We may not really know if it is indeed "less common" because if the folks doing the selection back in the day did not like it, they did not keep it.
There is a theory about Hawaiian cultivars-- all high in kavain-- that the women did the selecting to make it more possible to deal with the men.
Agreed, but what you stated is basically the 'classical' assumption, which I acknowledge very well may be true, and it completely makes sense. But I'm deliberately trying to offer a different hypothesis here, one that says it theoretically could be true, but overlooked, that it's actually due to, or at least in part, the lack of available diversity to select from. Just floating the idea, I made sure to say that it's an idea I'm "Toying" with...because I actually haven't given it much deep thought or research and I don't really have that strong of convictions about it. But I know that sometimes the common understanding of something, no matter how sensible it seems, can occasionally turn out to be wrong. It's unfortunate we can never really get good historical data on this stuff.

I got a thought about the 3,000 years of selection opportunity...but I gotta go right now...so I might post that later. ::shaka::

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Agreed, but what you stated is basically the 'classical' assumption, which I acknowledge very well may be true, and it completely makes sense. But I'm deliberately trying to offer a different hypothesis here, one that says it theoretically could be true, but overlooked, that it's actually due to, or at least in part, the lack of available of diversity to select from. Just floating the idea, I made sure to say that it's an idea I'm "Toying" with...because I actually haven't given much deep thought or research and I don't really have that strong of convictions about it. But I know that sometimes the common understanding of something, no matter how sensible it seems, can sometimes turn out to be wrong. It's unfortunate we can never really get good historical data on this stuff.

I got a thought about the 3,000 years of selection opportunity...but I gotta go right now...so I might post that later. ::shaka::

I think this is a very fair point. There might be other factors we are overlooking. I guess maybe there is a difference between being given a choice of, say, 100 cultivars and just wondering whether or not a specific mutation is worth keeping. Though I think @Alia also hints at a valid argument, namely that over a long period of time, the possibility of some kind of universal preference (based on just on acute effects, but also the effects of long-term usage, across generations) might actually be deducted. In general this seems to translate to high kavain (and dhk) and low dhm/flavokavins. But there are considerable differences between cultivars. E.g. Melo Melo and Kelai are clearly very different. Neither is a "knockout" kava, but clearly despite the latter having far more kavain than the former, many people in Vanuatu have still preferred to grow and consume the former. If things were as simple as "the highest kavain content wins", kelai would probably the only kava grown in Vanuatu. Beyond mere effects, it's also a matter of ease of growing, yield etc, I suppose. Especially in the modern context. This is why small hand melo is not as commonly cultivated as green melo, despite being stronger.

But I think it is indeed worth noting that the selection was undertaken in the context of a specific consumption routine/pattern (strong kava consumed quickly over a short period of time). Lebot admits that the fact that the Fijians, Tongans and Samoans mix their kava much weaker (and use dry roots) and consume it over the course of many, many hours today (as opposed to, say, 150 years ago) may have had an effect on the local cultivar selection/chemotype. The yield and ease of growing become even more important, too.

At the same time, one could ask another interesting question here. Is one way of consuming kava healthier/better than another? We are used to thinking that kava is safe and benign because it's been consumed for 3000 years. Lebot adds that this only applies to "traditional kava", meaning peeled roots mixed with water. Other forms of kava may or may not be equally benign, but we just need more data. What if the same logic (to a much lesser degree) also applies to consumption method? What if the Vanuatu way of consuming kava isn't a fluke, but a result of centuries of trials, errors, experiences and local knowledge. Maybe drinking super strong kava quickly is simply the most superior form of consuming the root, one with fewer negative social or health effects. A bit like drinking strong espresso is a good idea in the morning, but a pretty terrible idea in the evening that may have negative short term health effects (disturbed sleep). I am just toying with this idea, I haven't done any research on it or even thought about it too carefully.

But I know from my personal experience that drinking very potent kava quickly and then having a meal leaves me feeling incredibly refreshed the next day, whereas using the same amount of kava mixed with much more water and drinking it until late at night often results in me waking up feeling a bit groggy the next day.

It's pretty amazing that just 100-150 years ago seemingly nobody consumed weak, heavily dilluted kava made from dry roots late at night (with artificial lights on). These days this is how it's consumed by 99% of the Pacific Islanders who drink kava in New Zealand. I am not saying it's wrong to consume it this way, but it's a very modern practice and one that seemingly was born out of necessity (prohibitions, lack of access to enough kava, a desire to mimick alcohol drinking etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I think this is a very fair point. There might be other factors we are overlooking. I guess maybe there is a difference between being given a choice of, say, 100 cultivars and just wondering whether or not a specific mutation is worth keeping. Though I think @Alia also hints at a valid argument, namely that over a long period of time, the possibility of some kind of universal preference (based on just on acute effects, but also the effects of long-term usage, across generations) might actually be deducted. In general this seems to translate to high kavain (and dhk) and low dhm/flavokavins. But there are considerable differences between cultivars. E.g. Melo Melo and Kelai are clearly very different. Neither is a "knockout" kava, but clearly despite the latter having far more kavain than the former, many people in Vanuatu have still preferred to grow and consume the former. If things were as simple as "the highest kavain content wins", kelai would probably the only kava grown in Vanuatu. Beyond mere effects, it's also a matter of ease of growing, yield etc, I suppose. Especially in the modern context. This is why small hand melo is not as commonly cultivated as green melo, despite being stronger.

But I think it is indeed worth noting that the selection was undertaken in the context of a specific consumption routine/pattern (strong kava consumed quickly over a short period of time). Lebot admits that the fact that the Fijians, Tongans and Samoans mix their kava much weaker (and use dry roots) and consume it over the course of many, many hours today (as opposed to, say, 150 years ago) may have had an effect on the local cultivar selection/chemotype. The yield and ease of growing become even more important, too.

At the same time, one could ask another interesting question here. Is one way of consuming kava healthier/better than another? We are used to thinking that kava is safe and benign because it's been consumed for 3000 years. Lebot adds that this only applies to "traditional kava", meaning peeled roots mixed with water. Other forms of kava may or may not be equally benign, but we just need more data. What if the same logic (to a much lesser degree) also applies to consumption method? What if the Vanuatu way of consuming kava isn't a fluke, but a result of centuries of trials, errors, experiences and local knowledge. Maybe drinking super strong kava quickly is simply the most superior form of consuming the root, one with fewer negative social or health effects. A bit like drinking strong espresso is a good idea in the morning, but a pretty terrible idea in the evening that may have negative short term health effects (disturbed sleep). I am just toying with this idea, I haven't done any research on it or even thought about it too carefully.

But I know from my personal experience that drinking very potent kava quickly and then having a meal leaves me feeling incredibly refreshed the next day, whereas using the same amount of kava mixed with much more water and drinking it until late at night often results in me waking up feeling a bit groggy the next day.

It's pretty amazing that just 100-150 years ago seemingly nobody consumed weak, heavily dilluted kava made from dry roots late at night (with artificial lights on). These days this is how it's consumed by 99% of the Pacific Islanders who drink kava in New Zealand. I am not saying it's wrong to consume it this way, but it's a very modern practice and one that seemingly was born out of necessity (prohibitions, lack of access to enough kava, a desire to mimick alcohol drinking etc).
Both you and @sɥɐʞɐs are bringing out some incredibly interesting ideas. Maybe like Theoretical Kava 101.
And when you write-
"drinking very potent kava quickly and then having a meal leaves me feeling incredibly refreshed the next day",
that is my experince also. May very well be that "Vanuatu way of consuming kava isn't a fluke, but a result of centuries of trials, errors, experiences and local knowledge". Strong evidence points out that this was the Working Class way in Hawai'i. Ali'i excluded.
I will just add since we are doing some speculating- If I grow one cultivar of kava, am I potentially growing all cultivars of kava?
Maybe, but I do not fully understand somatic mutation.
I do know that as my plants get older, they mutate much more.
However they all, so far, have remained within Hawaiian cultivars.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
And when you write-
"drinking very potent kava quickly and then having a meal leaves me feeling incredibly refreshed the next day",
that is my experince also.
Drinking diluted kava doesn't have much of an effect for me.

Thanks to everyone for the very interesting discussions and thoughts!

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Drinking diluted kava doesn't have much of an effect for me.
I know it doesn't have to be said for anyone already participating in this thread (who already know a great deal about Pacific Island kava culture), but for those unfamiliar, yaqona is consumed most commonly in Fiji and Tonga as a social lubricant. It's not very common for people to drink yaqona alone. In fact there is a little bit of a stigma around doing so (although it seems to be fading in urban areas).
If you want to spend the evening chilling with friends, shooting the breeze or having a sing-along with a guitar, then a sosoko mix (thick, strong yaqona) that puts everyone to sleep within an hour isn't ideal. Hence the preference for yaqona waicala (weak, diluted yaqona) that one can drink for hours.