What's new

Are we early to the party?

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Regarding shipping to europe, its important that there is a good costums declaration. Using generic definations like supplements usally wont do it.
If they are not satisfied the might contact the reciever for clarifications or just return it to sender.
So be specific about the contents.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Regarding shipping to europe, its important that there is a good costums declaration. Using generic definations like supplements usally wont do it.
If they are not satisfied the might contact the reciever for clarifications or just return it to sender.
So be specific about the contents.
if vendors declare the product as "kava" then it is likely to result in confusion (either bc it means nothing to the official or bc it means "coffee" in most european languages). if you declare it as piper methysticum then either the same story or it simply wont be allowed into most places other than Poland (likely bc of lack of understandanding, but potentially also due to the gray legal status).

In any case, the biggest issue is that many customers are not prepared to pay VAT on imported goods and the fact that most find shipping times in excess of what they are used to within the EU totally unacceptable. As Morgan noted above, shipping to Europe is only an option for vendors who are prepared to deal with customer service complaints regarding matters vendors have zero control over.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
if vendors declare the product as "kava" then it is likely to result in confusion (either bc it means nothing to the official or bc it means "coffee" in most european languages). if you declare it as piper methysticum then either the same story or it simply wont be allowed into most places other than Poland (likely bc of lack of understandanding, but potentially also due to the gray legal status).

In any case, the biggest issue is that many customers are not prepared to pay VAT on imported goods and the fact that most find shipping times in excess of what they are used to within the EU totally unacceptable. As Morgan noted above, shipping to Europe is only an option for vendors who are prepared to deal with customer service complaints regarding matters vendors have zero control over.
I have ordered from kwk with no issues i belive they declare it as kava tea.
I have used forwarders where define it as kava powder.

I have ordered from kava society no issues.

Except for that I some times has to send the costums departement a products decription.

But I did order a kava beverage from aloha kava. It got refused.

I live in Sweden, people from other European countries might have other experiences.

Yes people are not aware that they have to pay taxes on stuff coming from outside eu.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
It would not take off very well because it is not as addictive as alcohol or tasty like sugar.

Maybe kava would be like some drink that has some aficionados like cocoa or mate. Well-known but not massively popular. Cult following. Available in specialty stores or hypermarkets.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
International shipping is such an absolute disaster. It's a gigantic hassle and it's often riddled with logistics issues that cause customer service complaints. We try our best to do it well, but there's a lot that's out of our control and most customers don't see it that way.
Its not always that way - I have been ordering regularly from Fiji and NZ the last 15 years into Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia and have never lost a package. Usually 5kg-8kg at a time. I only had one incident where Vietnam customs held me to ransom but I got the kava in the end after a $300 contribution to the cause. The customer just needs to be reminded that once it leaves your premises that they are responsible.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I doubt it will ever be a "big" thing or even replace alcohol. The reason is, that Kava does not taste good to most people while alcohol can be used to create very tasty beverages. This plus regulatory issues which probably won't be resolved ever. I'd be very very surprised if the EU every decides to allow Kava as a food product.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I doubt it will ever be a "big" thing or even replace alcohol. The reason is, that Kava does not taste good to most people while alcohol can be used to create very tasty beverages. This plus regulatory issues which probably won't be resolved ever. I'd be very very surprised if the EU every decides to allow Kava as a food product.
It is possible that ongoing research into kava's potential in preventing various forms of cancer, Alzheimer's prevention, (not-to-mention) anti-anxiety, PTSD (likely)
could bring it's use past taste-fixation notions. As for EU decisions*, it is worth listening to the overview given a few days ago of the steps to publish kava in Codex alimentarius- 2021 Pacific Regional Conference on Kava, (day 2, session1 on reddit). It demonstrates a devotion and time honored reverence. Within the same conference you can hear from World Trade Organization and others in Europe. They speak of kava with pretty good insight. The fact is the kava standards will be published regardless of the issue raised of methods of kavalactone analysis he implies may delay it...that can be dealt with later as I understand it. And finally to some kava is a powder that comes in the mail but to others it's a whole world culture, a plant, a human artifact. *understood that EU is not part of these Codex nations but the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia and 10 Pacific Island nations are, so that should draw attention within the EU.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
It is possible that ongoing research into kava's potential in preventing various forms of cancer, Alzheimer's prevention, (not-to-mention) anti-anxiety, PTSD (likely)
could bring it's use past taste-fixation notions. As for EU decisions*, it is worth listening to the overview given a few days ago of the steps to publish kava in Codex alimentarius- 2021 Pacific Regional Conference on Kava, (day 2, session1 on reddit). It demonstrates a devotion and time honored reverence. Within the same conference you can hear from World Trade Organization and others in Europe. They speak of kava with pretty good insight. The fact is the kava standards will be published regardless of the issue raised of methods of kavalactone analysis he implies may delay it...that can be dealt with later as I understand it. And finally to some kava is a powder that comes in the mail but to others it's a whole world culture, a plant, a human artifact. *understood that EU is not part of these Codex nations but the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia and 10 Pacific Island nations are, so that should draw attention within the EU.
I think they need to make a choice is kava medicine or a food? I belive its easier to define it as food. Less regulatory demands.
Also making health claims on the package might cause seizure by customs. Since import is regulated.
That's something for vendors to be aware of.

socwbe

I'm new to Kava and discovered it by seeing it on a menu...at Nalu Kava Tea House, Portland OR...Duh! I am amazed having been dealing with constant distractions. I actually brought my ear plugs in to journal yesterday. After the Kava...not. knowing what to expect I was totally amazed that I didn't need my ear plugs. I was journaling and listening to kids playing and two conversations going on at the same time; I could comprehend and it didn't slow down my focus on what my writing!! TMI? I am a TBI survivor (1988) and a grieving parent (2019) and have not been able to focus! This is a dream come true...actually allowing me to NOT be physically distracted (TBI affect) and emotional aware (Grieving affect). Thank you! I"m happy to be here!!!