What's new

Kava available in Australia

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Thought I'd start a thread for known sources to buy kava from in Australia, now that commercial imports are allowed. Known vendors so far:

https://fijikava.com/collections/noble-kava-root-powder

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08LD4Q269/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_glt_i_5SG03KWG7209SYY2ZFQ0

https://www.kavakings.com.au

https://classickava.com

ozkava.com.au

Anyone know of any others?

Last edited:

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
"Coles (Supermarket) confirmed a first order of FijiKava instant Kava to be stocked on shelves from January, in select locations"

Interesting they call it 'instant'. The instructions on their site say:
  1. Add ⅓ Tablespoon (2.5g) of FijiKava Noble Kava & 200mL of water, coconut water or favourite beverage to a blender.
  2. Blend for 1-2 mins.
  3. Pour blended mixture through a straining cloth (if desired).
I'd suggest it's micronised, in which case $200 a kg isn't so expensive? ::shrug2::

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
"Coles (Supermarket) confirmed a first order of FijiKava instant Kava to be stocked on shelves from January, in select locations"

Interesting they call it 'instant'. The instructions on their site say:
  1. Add ⅓ Tablespoon (2.5g) of FijiKava Noble Kava & 200mL of water, coconut water or favourite beverage to a blender.
  2. Blend for 1-2 mins.
  3. Pour blended mixture through a straining cloth (if desired).
I'd suggest it's micronised, in which case $200 a kg isn't so expensive? ::shrug2::
I was so excited to try Kava that I preordered from FijiKava not knowing when it would be available at chemist warehouse.

Anyway, I emailed.and asked if it was micronized and I received this response:

"Thank you for your pre-order. We can’t wait for you to try our Drinking Kava. It is traditional grind, we recommend it being strained before consuming".

So definitely not micronized.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
I was so excited to try Kava that I preordered from FijiKava not knowing when it would be available at chemist warehouse.

Anyway, I emailed.and asked if it was micronized and I received this response:

"Thank you for your pre-order. We can’t wait for you to try our Drinking Kava. It is traditional grind, we recommend it being strained before consuming".

So definitely not micronized.
In which case I'd change their instructions to at least 4 table spoons, and definitely strain!

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
In which case I'd change their instructions to at least 4 table spoons, and definitely strain!
Thanks for the info man. I've never had "real" Kava before, only the FijiKava capsules.

For a first timer, would you still recommend 4 tbsp? How much water should I add got those dose?

I have a nut milk bag which I plan to use as the strainer, and I want to try traditional kneading method for the first time

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for the info man. I've never had "real" Kava before, only the FijiKava capsules.

For a first timer, would you still recommend 4 tbsp? How much water should I add got those dose?

I have a nut milk bag which I plan to use as the strainer, and I want to try traditional kneading method for the first time
Howdy, welcome to KF. The amount of water you settle on is kind of up to you and your taste but a general rule of thumb for 4 tablespoons is between 400 ml-700 ml of water. If you add much more, it would require more tablespoons or it will be less potent, which some like.

The nut milk bag should work as long as it is fine enough, you want to avoid any type of strainer larger than 150 microns, ideally 75. Synthetic food safe strainers should last well over a year.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Howdy, welcome to KF. The amount of water you settle on is kind of up to you and your taste but a general rule of thumb for 4 tablespoons is between 400 ml-700 ml of water. If you add much more, it would require more tablespoons or it will be less potent, which some like.

The nut milk bag should work as long as it is fine enough, you want to avoid any type of strainer larger than 150 microns, ideally 75. Synthetic food safe strainers should last well over a year.
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. The nut milk bag I purchased didn't mention micron size on the website nor the product packaging, so I shot them an email to find out.
Really hoping that Kava can help me with my anxiety and as an alcohol replacement!

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
What's your review of the Kava Calm, @Nodsey?
I remember it being a very fine grind, so it felt quite potent. Balanced I think, rather then distinctly heavy/heady. I did develop a bit of dermo at the time, but I somehow had managed to get hold of 3kg of different kavas back then, so could've been down to any or all of those! Definitely worth trying if the price is right...

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast

I've found the Aluball to be a good investment - fill one half of the ball with powder, then shake with about 250ml or so of water, then shake the same ball again with a bit less water for a 2nd 'wash'. You'll find your level a bit easier then - if the effect isn't strong enough, just refill the ball and shake up again until you get there!

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Thought I'd start a thread for known sources to buy kava from in Australia, now that commercial imports are allowed. I only know of two so far:

https://fijikava.com/collections/noble-kava-root-powder - taking pre orders for delivery in January 2022, $200 per kg. I would expect Chemist Warehouse to begin stocking the powder, as they do the capsules, at a hugely marked down price (eg 60 caps are $20 in CW, compared to $60 direct from Fijikava).

https://www.facebook.com/KavaCalmAustralia - taking pre-orders, but not payments. Don't know what the price will be, but having ordered from them before from NZ, should be comparable at around $150 per kg.

Anyone know of any others?
I tried to put through a pre order with kava calm online a few weeks ago - they never replied to my email.

Anyone have any information on when FijiKava will start shipping? Originally it said Jan 2022 now it just says early 2022...

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
ooh just found these guys have offices in Aus now! emailed to check that they're actually posting from within the country...but it looks promising! much cheaper per kilo too, $119. Has anyone tried this stuff before?

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Well, apparently they always did :X3:

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
I tried to put through a pre order with kava calm online a few weeks ago - they never replied to my email.

Anyone have any information on when FijiKava will start shipping? Originally it said Jan 2022 now it just says early 2022...
Fijikava emailed a couple weeks ago to say shipping was delayed, nothing since though...

Kava Calm can be a little hit and miss with communication - I can only say they did acknowledge my pre-order (after a couple of tries).

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Fijikava emailed a couple weeks ago to say shipping was delayed, nothing since though...

Kava Calm can be a little hit and miss with communication - I can only say they did acknowledge my pre-order (after a couple of tries).
Ok cool.

So you know anything about these guys?

On the website it says they ship directly from their warehouse in NSW and Brisbane.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Ok cool.

So you know anything about these guys?

On the website it says they ship directly from their warehouse in NSW and Brisbane.
Yeah I saw that earlier today - search this forum for kingskava, check their history here, it's.... colourful.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Yeah I saw that earlier today - search this forum for kingskava, check their history here, it's.... colourful.
Oh gee...definitely scratching them off the list!

I wonder what the hold up is with kava in australia...I was expecting companies to tap in immediately but the only one who seems to actually be progressing is Fiji Kava....with there $200 per kg product lol.