What's new

Powdered Kava Review Karan's Fijian Kava Batch #1 & #2

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
cpReview
{"Grade":9,"Potency":10,"Mind":3,"Body":7,"Anxiety":10,"Sedative":9,"Taste":"8","Preparation":"2/3 of cup or approximately 50 grams with 5-600ml of cold water.","Duration":"Several hours","SideEffects":"Sleepiness","Headline":"Very Potent!"}
In the interest of full disclosure, I was sent 1/2 kilo each of Karan's Fijian batch number 1 and number 2 to try and review, free of charge.

Shipping from Australia took 2 full weeks as predicted. I am told it ships for free inside Australia which is pretty cool. Normally I would not bother buying kava from Australia even though I am impressed with their vendors and selection, since it became legal. Logistically it is not worth the wait or cost of shipping.

I was told by the owner this was the initial offering, before batch #2. I suspect both contain a large amount of lateral roots, if not 100%. I would be surprised if it was anything less than 80% lateral. I also get the impression these plants were harvested at a much more mature age. (I don't know this, but I speculate it based on the potency.) The only other Fijian I have EVER drank that was this potent was Squanch Waka which I know for a fact that it is (or at least was) 100% lateral roots.

Both batches brew a dark, oily grog. For those of us that have tried several kavas throughout the years, it's easy to pinpoint a potent brew on looks alone. This is that type of kava. A simple 3-5 minute knead, yields a very thick and oily beverage. This is the kind of kava that if drank during the day, it would most likely be the end of that day. It felt that way to me, since almost all the times i drank either batch, I had to nap afterwards, it came naturally and it felt wonderful.

Both batches are extremely similar in profile, however, batch number one feels slightly more euphoric, at least on the front-end. They are both very sedating and I would not recommend drinking this kava if you plan on doing anything that requires any sort of motor skills, this kava is a day ender, anytime of day!

Overall, I think everyone should try this kava at least once, it is a wonderful example of quality, freshness and potency, I really have nothing bad to say about it although I will say that I preferred batch number 1, but they are extremely similar and it is not likely most people would notice the difference.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Great review @Krunʞy. My Karan's kava is arriving today, and I'm just wondering how much you think I should use given its potentcy?

For reference, I generally use 40grams root and pestle to 600ml water. (borogoru or Kelai).

I used to use 50g, but I've found that I don't really enjoy the spinning head feeling I get at higher doses, so 40g seems to be about right for the root and pestle stuff.

Should I drop this to 30grams to 600ml for Karan's kava?

Only reason I am a bit paranoid is due to a bad experience I had with Melomelo - I had 50g the first time using it and it really gave me the spins - I also couldn't get a wink of sleep that night and that has never happened with any other Kava (even at higher 60g doses). Bit scarred from that now lol...especially with new kavas.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
I think that's a good amount but if you are hesitant, perhaps try less.
Thanks @Krunʞy. I ended up settling on 35grams into 600ml water.

Great kava, really enjoyed it. Since I started kava, I haven't been too impressed by the Fijian kavas I tried (except blue Lagoon) but this one is fantastic.

Definitely one of the heavier kavas I've tried. Very pleasant and relaxing buzz while I was shelling, but about 1.5 to 2 hours after finishing I could barely keep my eyes open!

Definitely a kava to finish the day off!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks @Krunʞy. I ended up settling on 35grams into 600ml water.

Great kava, really enjoyed it. Since I started kava, I haven't been too impressed by the Fijian kavas I tried (except blue Lagoon) but this one is fantastic.

Definitely one of the heavier kavas I've tried. Very pleasant and relaxing buzz while I was shelling, but about 1.5 to 2 hours after finishing I could barely keep my eyes open!

Definitely a kava to finish the day off!
I'm glad I was not an isolated incident, I was just thinking to myself that I need to get my hands on more, it really is fantastic kava. For now I drink just kava Vanuatu which hits the spot as general Vanuatu blend. Fijian is where my love for kava is really at so i am definitelly getting more from Yams Karan (The Owners name), great guy!

WillyJ

I've been using Karan's Kava for about a year now and it's one of the best value kavas on the market. There does seem to be a bit of variation between batches. The first kilo I got was heavy as described above. The next still pretty strong but with a bit more of a heady buzz, had the odd night of insomnia. This third batch is back to heavy again (at least the 500g bag I have opened is). I guess that's what you get with a variable natural product, produced from a range of cultivars. I like it and it's a staple in my cupboard. 35g to 600ml of warm water in a blender then through an R&P strainer bag makes a dense oily grog, it can handle 2 more 300ml washes without a problem. That ends up being ~1L of good strong grog (as Dr Bittenbender would say) from 35g of root. Pretty good value and a nice chilled vibe.

Spatch

I am new to kava but was keen to try Karan’s as my first traditional root powder after reading only positive reviews.

I decided to err on the cautious side and have a light mid week work night mix of 25g to 600ml of warm water. Definitely dark river water appearance, nothing like the light white of the instant R and P Melo Melo I had tried previously (see review).

I did a short knead of 4 minutes which yielded about 4 or 5 shells (the Bilo was provided along with a nice red strainer bag in their starter pack).

Taste was slightly bitter but otherwise pleasant and easy to drink. I do not dislike the taste of kava. No nausea.

Seemed like a slow gentle onset with more a heavy body sensation and much less head noise than the Melo Melo. No feelings of dizziness or being spacey, just a gentle deep glow relaxation with clear thought processes.

Definitely one to end the day and unwind before bed. I would be more than happy to up the quantity and do 35g next time. Getting to sleep was no problem and felt deep.

The next morning I feel a little slow and relaxed but in no way hungover.

Really I can only say positive things about Karan’s kava. Great price point, excellent fast service, quality accessories, easy to mix and drink, and a lovely heavy brew that leaves you feeling unwound and chill at the end of the day.

Spatch

“Only reason I am a bit paranoid is due to a bad experience I had with Melomelo - I had 50g the first time using it and it really gave me the spins - I also couldn't get a wink of sleep that night and that has never happened with any other Kava (even at higher 60g doses). Bit scarred from that now lol...especially with new kavas.”

Good to see I am not the only one who has had a rough experience with Melo Melo. It hasn’t put me off using it, just made me more focussed on using smaller amounts! Less is more haha