What's new

Kava Preparation The Aluball Machine

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Yours truly will have their hands on one of these bad boys come Monday. It'll take me a little bit to find the proper spot in my house for it and all, but I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone wanted me to try certain scenarios with it.

I look forwards to putting it through its paces.

Thank you, Matt!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So now the balls will tear/break twice as fast, being shaken at a much more powerful force of a machine shaker :(
I believe it comes with like 100 to start off with, lol. I plan on trying lots of different things. I'd thinking throwing your powder in there, a protein mixer ball, and letting it run could possibly forgo the traditional kneading phase with zero aluballs involved at all :)

Kava Eraser

Kava Curious
I'd thinking throwing your powder in there, a protein mixer ball, and letting it run could possibly forgo the traditional kneading phase with zero aluballs involved at all :)
You had me, and you had me sold...until I looked it up and saw the $1000 price tag.
I think i'd prefer to spend that money on replacement "aluball balls" after tearing/breaking...until I find a solution to that

Or maybe ur onto something, with the protein mixer ball. If that will work, by hand.
If I build my arm muscle strength enough, maybe i can get kneading effect from shaking vigorously and long with the shake mixer ball. Could take it to the gym and have a muscle head do it for me.

So maybe shake, then strain ?
Gonna try it

Last edited:

Kava Eraser

Kava Curious
He got the paint shaker to work, hilarious.

I didnt see a paint shaker in the video or thread.
So is this machine basically a converted paint shaker ?
Or did I miss a joke somewhere ?
But actually that sounds intriguing, because for one thing, a paint shaker is 1/10th of the price.
Maybe it can be converted to do this

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I didnt see a paint shaker in the video or thread.
So is this machine basically a converted paint shaker ?
Or did I miss a joke somewhere ?
But actually that sounds intriguing, because for one thing, a paint shaker is 1/10th of the price.
Maybe it can be converted to do this
It's kinda of a joke, the original had it's origins as a paint shaker, I believe. Yeah a paint shaker would work except I'd tie up 50 grams in a small strainer and inside a sterile paint can and voila, XL_alu something. :D

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You had me, and you had me sold...until I looked it up and saw the $1000 price tag.
I think i'd prefer to spend that money on replacement "aluball balls" after tearing/breaking...until I find a solution to that

Or maybe ur onto something, with the protein mixer ball. If that will work, by hand.
If I build my arm muscle strength enough, maybe i can get kneading effect from shaking vigorously and long with the shake mixer ball. Could take it to the gym and have a muscle head do it for me.

So maybe shake, then strain ?
Gonna try it
yeah, it's a commercial grade tool. It could spark someone's interest in the kava bar scene, you never know.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Wow! I was definitely interested until I saw that price tag. I love my Aluball, but I feel like I make a much stronger brew with traditional and that I’m wasting kava with the aluball. It’s awesome for on the go though or right before bed, but I can’t help that with my 4 tablespoons how much more kavalactones I’m getting if I get it traditionally.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
When I fantasize how I would make kava for large groups of people, in the hundreds plus range, I think of it like this: I'd have a cloth strainer and a pound of root in it, two gallons of water, squeeze vigorously for fifteen minutes, then start over on another pound of root with two more gallons water. I could realistically keep that up all day, provided I had enough root and water available. At 8000ml for 454g root, if 200ml is a shell, I'm making 40 shells with about ten grams root each, every fifteen minutes.

On the physics of shaking the kava, it looks like it can make a consistent brew. My challenge with shaking is I don't want to micronize my root like a rock tumbler or sharp blade blender would. I have made gentle shells before, too. I'm doing my best to be supportive here, I'm not sure how many shells you can pump out in a short time with this method. I know with large amounts of root and buckets of water I can make enough kava to meet demand, however, I am thinking incidents such as, a volley of buses full of thirsty athletes come to drink a shell together all at once, or, for a funeral, a family wants a hundred ten shells so everybody can have one at closing ceremony, or, perhaps a made-by-the-shell service for weddings and baby showers. As long as you can meet the demand and rush hours with the product, it's a success as far as I'm concerned.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
When I fantasize how I would make kava for large groups of people, in the hundreds plus range, I think of it like this:
I think I'd love to see someone grab a super large strainer, toss a pound in it and put in a washing machine, have the rinse cycle right into 5 gallon buckets. Every 30 or so minutes a new batch would wash in...:D

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I think I'd love to see someone grab a super large strainer, toss a pound in it and put in a washing machine, have the rinse cycle right into 5 gallon buckets. Every 30 or so minutes a new batch would wash in...:D

Sounds like a great idea. But wouldn't you have to tie the strings on the bag ultra tight, to endure the massively strong agitation of a washing machine, so it doesn't un-tie and leak powder everywhere ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
YES. I just happened to have one in my kitchen cupboard :p

Seriously though, if we keep travelling down this path, we're bound to stumble on something practical
I may or may not know of specific technology related to exactly what you guys are searching for. It....may or may not exist, I can't confirm, however if it does exist, it works really really well, and it is quite similar to a washing machine.

I say that to let you know you're on the right path.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I may or may not know of specific technology related to exactly what you guys are searching for. It....may or may not exist, I can't confirm, however if it does exist, it works really really well, and it is quite similar to a washing machine.

I say that to let you know you're on the right path.
Ice water hash kits, soymilk machines, soup makers get the job done pretty well too.