What's new

Kava expiration date

metalman

I have some kava left that I just found. Kalm with Kava brand. It must be 2 years old. Will I get really sick if I consume it?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I have some kava left that I just found. Kalm with Kava brand. It must be 2 years old. Will I get really sick if I consume it?
As long as it was stored in a dry cool place for that that time frame, it should be fine, may have lost potency. If was stored in any other condition where humidity may have been a factor, toss it, it is no worth the risk. You want to avoid mold.

metalman

As long as it was stored in a dry cool place for that that time frame, it should be fine, may have lost potency. If was stored in any other condition where humidity may have been a factor, toss it, it is no worth the risk. You want to avoid mold.
Thanks! I'm gonna give it a try. I'll only do a shell or so. That way if it's bad it most likely won't seriously hurt me. It was kept in the kitchen cabinet

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
My thing is whether it was opened before (the bag of roots) or still sealed. If you can squeeze the package and no air comes out, I'd trust that coming out of a Sarcophagus, haha. Once opened, kava tends to degrade as a result of being exposed not just to air, also the humidity in the air. I'd drink it, so long as there is no drops of moisture, moldy smell, in the bag with the kava! Bulaaa!