What's new

Kava for ready to drink beverage

max_bam

I'm developing a kava based ready to drink beverage for sale, following a couple of decades of enjoying kava at home and when visting/living in Vanuatu. I am experimenting with using kava extract (30%, nonsolvent, watersoluble) but have read some things, including on this forum, about whether using kava extract is a good idea as not enough is known about their effects as opposed to the extensive body of literarture on traditionally prepared kava. Would welcome folks thoughts on this, and whether it is feasible to make ready to drink beverage with the kava powder or instant kava powders out there? If anyone has links to larger-scale reputable suppliers of kava powders or extract, preferable close to where kava is cultivates please let me know (for refrence I am based on the West coast of the US). Thanks!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm developing a kava based ready to drink beverage for sale, following a couple of decades of enjoying kava at home and when visting/living in Vanuatu. I am experimenting with using kava extract (30%, nonsolvent, watersoluble) but have read some things, including on this forum, about whether using kava extract is a good idea as not enough is known about their effects as opposed to the extensive body of literarture on traditionally prepared kava. Would welcome folks thoughts on this, and whether it is feasible to make ready to drink beverage with the kava powder or instant kava powders out there? If anyone has links to larger-scale reputable suppliers of kava powders or extract, preferable close to where kava is cultivates please let me know (for refrence I am based on the West coast of the US). Thanks!
Honestly, unless you can get direct from Vanuatu, it won't be worth the effort imo. There are already, ready made beverages out there.

Again if you are bringing something new to the table, you are willing to abide by all the regulations to ensure a safe product for your customers, might be a different story, perhaps.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
If you go down to "Kava News" in these Forums you can see what the FDA and State of Hawaii, separately say about extracts.
See " 'Awa Story for Hawai'i ". If you decide to make a beverage from kavalactones extracted from kava, it is not actually kava.
If you make the traditional beverage and flavor it, that would be a different story.