What's new

New Member / Kava Newbie

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
That's good to hear. I did quite a bit of research. I read every review on Kavasseurs site plus all the ones on here.
Also if you are looking to buy from another vendor ..I love the pk Fijian waka ..the taste is mild and the effects are awesome..

Alien

Kava Newbie
I'm finding this Solomon's to be a lot more 'heady' than I was expecting. I suppose I understand why the Kavasseur compared it to, well, another green plant (which I can't stand, btw). I did go ahead and take a 3rd 4oz serving a couple of hours ago or so. It's hard to tell because my sense of time has been really messed up all afternoon. Time is crawling along very slowly. After my last consumption I got really hungry and had to eat something. I've since been on the couch constantly yawning and stretching while I mindlessly watch television. :wacky:

violet

Do all things with love
These are some pictures of the Tide laundry bag I used to strain my kava. Again, it worked amazingly well and allowed zero sediment to get through. It's rather large and got stained from my Solomon kava but it works very well. I got it at Walmart for something like $5-7.
Zero sediment, really? Did you have any "sand" bits in your grog (I don't know how "sandy" Solomon's is)? I'm down for zero sediment, but worry that using a t-shirt will decrease the potency too much. I recently made a strainer bag out of chiffon. It was pretty awesome at keeping the sediment out, I saw just the tiniest bits of sand. Unfortunately, it's a pain to sew and didn't last very long before I blew the fabric. The laundry bag sounds nice, and it's a nice size if you are going to be squeezing kava for multiple people/sessions.

Alien

Kava Newbie
Zero sediment, really? Did you have any "sand" bits in your grog (I don't know how "sandy" Solomon's is)? I'm down for zero sediment, but worry that using a t-shirt will decrease the potency too much. I recently made a strainer bag out of chiffon. It was pretty awesome at keeping the sediment out, I saw just the tiniest bits of sand. Unfortunately, it's a pain to sew and didn't last very long before I blew the fabric. The laundry bag sounds nice, and it's a nice size if you are going to be squeezing kava for multiple people/sessions.
I couldn't notice any sediment at all. Not at the top nor at the bottom (nor at the sides) of the bowl. While drinking it I could tell there were tiny bits which is surprising considering that, at least visually, there are zero sediments to be found. Once finished drinking, however, I see a very small amount of particles leftover in my glass. And I mean very small. Again, surprising since I didn't notice them previously. I'll take a picture of the glass so you can see. I'm currently whipping up some more Wow. I'm going to put it through the blender as N@H recommends in their recipe guide despite me thinking it's unnecessary. This could cause more sediment but we'll see. Right now it's soaking. :D

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Zero sediment, really? Did you have any "sand" bits in your grog (I don't know how "sandy" Solomon's is)?
I'm also curious about this claim, because it sounds too good to be true. I guess the only way I can tell for sure, is for me to go down and buy one for myself or have @Alien get one or more of the traditional strainers and compare for us. I can swing $5 without a problem, but can't stand shopping. :wtf:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You definitely can if you use an ultra fine strainer. I don't get any sediment when I use a muslin bag. But that gives up a little too much potency for me.

Alien

Kava Newbie
I'm also curious about this claim, because it sounds too good to be true. I guess the only way I can tell for sure, is for me to go down and buy one for myself or have @Alien get one or more of the traditional strainers and compare for us. I can swing $5 without a problem, but can't stand shopping. :wtf:

Ok, here's a couple of photos. The first photo is showing the liquid in the bowl immediately before dumping it into my mason jar. The second is a photo of my bowl immediately after tossing the root in the trash. I had already massaged it once in this bowl and wringed it out, then tossed it in the blender with the liquid for 30 seconds, then tossed it back into the bag over this bowl and massaged/wringed it out one last time (as per N@H instructions). After this, I had dumped the bowl into my mason jar for consumption and storage.

As you can see in the second photo there is a little puddle of liquid at the bottom. That is not sediment! Also, in the middle of the bottom of the bowl you can see that there are tiny bits of the sediment that only show up with the flash of my phone's camera flash. It's basically sediment free, or as close as you can get imo.

violet

Do all things with love
@Alien thank you for posting the pics. I am intrigued... I think I'll pick one of these up and give it a try.

infraredz

BULA!
Jerry, do you have any sources to back up your claims that kava depletes "your other vitamins and electrolyte" or that "if you want to drink more kava then usual you need your B vitamins and electrolytes"?

Alien

Kava Newbie
@Alien thank you for posting the pics. I am intrigued... I think I'll pick one of these up and give it a try.
No problem. I think it works amazingly well. The only thing I have sediment in is the first bowl where I put the ground root and water mix in to begin with and let it soak. After that, well, the pictures speak for themselves.

You can find the Tide laundry "delicates" bag in the home laundry aisle at Walmart (not the laundry detergent aisle over in groceries). They offered another similar one that had a distinct shape to it designed for bras but this one was better I thought.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
It's basically sediment free, or as close as you can get imo.
I love photos (they speak 1,000 words), so thanks.
Didn't you say you are using milk + water? Wonder if the fat in the milk is acting as an emulsion with the particulates suspended in the liquid instead of settling to the bottom of the bowl? (just thinking outloud)

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I need one of these ..my t-shirt stock is depleted severely ..May wait for more data

Alien

Kava Newbie
I love photos (they speak 1,000 words), so thanks.
Didn't you say you are using milk + water? Wonder if the fat in the milk is acting as an emulsion with the particulates suspended in the liquid instead of settling to the bottom of the bowl? (just thinking outloud)
I am using very little milk. So far I've experimented with 1/2 milk 1/2 water and 4/5 water 1/5 milk. Same results each time as far as sediment is concerned. They're virtually non-existent.

A

Absent Minded

Welcome!! Hope you find this forum as awesome as I do. I think you'll find it very informative and everyone here is very friendly and extremely supportive. I was like you, I lurked on the old Yuku site for probably well over a year. When I decided to get more serious about Kava, I decided to make the big leap and joined the forum and posted my first post on the Yuku forum. If it wasn't for @Kapmcrunk I would probably have never found that the forum had moved to here. How embarrassing!! :)

I'm a Newbie too, but am trying really hard to get up to speed and hopefully will someday be able to self-proclaim myself experienced. So take that into account when reading my replies to posts.

I used the same extract as you (plus Instants) before using any fresh root. I used the extract (and Instant) solely at first to get used to the effects of Kava and it also got me through my RT (reverse tolerance to Kava). Then when I finally started using root powder it gave me a real life experience appreciation of the root compared to the extract. I really liked the extract, but after using the root powder, I can now say that the extract works ok but there is something lost in translation. I think Instant comes closer to emulating the effects of root powder than do the extracts.

My understanding is that there is an old wife's tale that dictates that you should never heat Kava because it ruins the Kavalactones (and effects). But that has been debunked by many people here who use heat all the time (many posts here about it) to enhance the potency of their Kava prep. I've read some articles on hot processes for extracting (distilling) oils from plants and it's my belief that what you really need to be careful of is over boiling Kava in liquid because it would probably cause the Kava oils to "boil off" from the steam into the air. Then it's bye bye Kava tones.

I agree with most that it doesn't seem a great benefit to add fat while prepping your Kava. But from personal experience and reported experiences by others here (again lot's of posts about it) there is a fair to significant benefit to eating something fatty after you drink your grog. I believe this is because the Kava oils you consume are not water soluble but when you consume some fat in your stomach, it somehow combines with the oil to help it get absorbed and digested (metabolised) properly (giving it a bigger kick than otherwise). As an aside, I ingest Flaxseed (for fibre). It's also not water soluble, and the result of eating it is that it travels straight on through to the lower intestine of the stomach. This is a desirable effect for the Flaxseed, but definitely not something you want your Kava oils to do.

Anyways that's my personal opionion, not Scientific fact. You'll have to ask @infraredz for that.

Regards

EDIT: Regarding my comment about "boiling off" the Kavalactones when boiling Kava there is a simple experiment to prove that. Take a pressure cooker and place some water and Kava root into it. Then attach a rubber hose where the pressure valve is located with the other end of the hose sitting in a bowl. Cook the Kava in the pressure cooker as you would cook other stuff you normally cook. When the Kavalactones start to boil off in the pressure cooker they will be forced to pass with the steam out the pressure valve through the hose and condense into the bowl. The result should be distilled Kavalactones and water. The only problem with this, is that no one I know has ever really tried this to prove or disprove. I'm still trying to find a guinea pig!! :)
I can get behind this theory. Just posted in my thread from yesterday (about the t shirt strainer), I cooked some eggs in a hefty amount of coconut ooil, which is basically pure fat, and the effects increased dramatically after I ate.

OP, how do you like the NAH products? Not sure if you posted a review, admittedly, didn't read the whole thread so if you already stated that, I'll look. the prices of the NAH have kept me from ordering.
KBR's ISA is a great product.

Alien

Kava Newbie
Thanks for all the info there, AbsentMinded. It looks like your post wound up appearing in HeadHodge's quote. No worries.

Last night was strange. I was definitely getting effects from the Wow kava and they were mostly on the body but with a positive mood and ever so slight euphoria, too. Nothing mind-blowingly amazing in either department, really. I chalked it up to still being new and not having paid my dues yet. In total I consumed ~13oz of the Wow kava within a ~1.5-2 hour timeframe. It's really a little difficult to recall exactly.

I went to bed and took some OTC sleep aids as I normally do (doxylamine and melatonin). I watched about 30 minutes of TV before turning it off and falling asleep which is also normal. Nothing seemed abnormal at that point. This morning I'm feeling some after effects though and it feels like I was more knocked out than heavy sleeping last night. It's almost like a little bit of an alcohol hangover yet different at the same time.

I have not written any reviews yet because I feel my reviews wouldn't be legitimate just yet based on my little experience with kava. I do not want to unfairly write a review, of course. I will wait until I've had a few more experiences before I write my first review.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thanks for all the info there, AbsentMinded. It looks like your post wound up appearing in HeadHodge's quote. No worries.
Good catch @Alien. I thought he just forgot to post a reply. Yeah just edit the post and move the </quote> delimiter up to somewhere before your reply starts. Sometimes @Kapmcrunk will come in and help out if you don't understand what I'm saying.

I looked at it some more and it looks like you're trying to insert a comment in the middle of my post. That's a little more difficult. You need to copy and paste the quote header (i.e. <quote="Alien, post: 21224, member: 756">) and paste it after your comment. And then copy and past the quote delimiter (i.e. </quote>) to immediately before your comment. It's a little harder to do, but I like doing it because it gives more context to the comment. Alternatively I just delete the whole quote except for the part I want to comment on and put little dots before and after to indicates it's only a partial quote. I've seen some people actually write the word "Snippet" before and after the edited quote. But that's too much work for me.

NOTE: In my reply, I had to us "<" and ">" instead of brackets to make the reply display properly. These should really be brackets and not what I've shown. Confused yet????
Regards

Last edited:

Alien

Kava Newbie
Took me awhile to figure it out this morning myself seeing as how I woke up feeling a bit different than normal.

I just got my PK extracts delivered a bit ago and am right now letting a good portion dissolve under my tongue. The numbing effect is more pronounced than with the drinks last night but it still tastes pretty bad. I wasn't planning on taking any kava today until tonight but I just needed to try this extract out. ;)