What's new

Should Ginger Kava be a Thing?

Would you buy kava exposed to ginger to give it a gingery scent?

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Backstory - the 11 Year Old Micronized Waka has a ginger scent about it, due to exposure to fresh organic ginger. This was an accedent.

Should it be a thing on purpose?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
My supplier had the same thought and also provides that exact micronized product. It's of course mostly micronized kava, but there is a small amount of crystallized micronized ginger included. If there's enough interest, I would consider selling it for sure.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Judd Rench do you have to purchase a minimum, or do you think they'd be game to throw in a couple of kilos for samples with your next order? I think it has a real possibility of being a great product. I mean, not only are you adding taste, you're subtracting any nausea.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I pretty much always make kava with a shot of lemon and ginger fruit syrup, so I'd love to try kava that already has some form of ginger in it to start with.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I pretty much always make kava with a shot of lemon and ginger fruit syrup, so I'd love to try kava that already has some form of ginger in it to start with.
a shot of lemon & ginger syrup per how many mls of kava?

Last edited by a moderator:

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah I think it would be beneficial for lots of folk. Stomach gurgles are my only negative symptom of kava use so far...aside from a week of dermo. I can't find ginger that isn't laced with tons of sugar so I abstain usually. Pure root is tooooo spicy!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I buy pouches of ginger powder for 1$ at the store and add it to my kava at my own discrection.
I don't do it for scent or flavor though, it's only to help ease nausea. I'd rather not have to use it all, personally.
So, for me, I'm not interested in adding scents to kava. I wouldn't forgo one just because it's scented, but given the choice, I'd always choose regular. There's a strange fijian kava at my local herb store that seems like it has cinnamon mixed with it or imparted onto it. It also brews up really dark. The packaging doesn't mention it, so it trips me out. No bueno.

If we're talking about adding ginger premixed with the kava, to help nausea & add flavor, I can see the benefit. But there are things to consider. How do you evenly distribute it to be an effective ginger dose for the amount of kava used, while also keeping it below the range where ginger's helpful effects become negative instead. Ginger can reach a point where it actually causes GI distress rather than helps it. There is also such a thing as the 'Ginger Jitters'. I've experienced both, and it was at doses well below the presumed limits I've seen online.

Judging from the pole, everyone wants it, might as well go for it...

blindy107

Kava Lover
@shakas interesting idea. I buy micro ginger as well for cooking but that never crossed my mind. I DID however add chinese 5spice to my grog once...when I was sick of sweet fruity namby. It wasn't a win but could be fun avenue to explore. That reminds me....I have a Kalm recipe to finish!

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Instead of adding ginger to the kava, I tried adding kava to a ginger. Ginger didn't have the best reaction to the kava, as you can see from the video, and wound up asking me to "call 911 now."

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
This is actually a brilliant idea. Ginger is great. Specially when I'm sick. Ginger root OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.